Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#239827 - 01/21/12 08:14 PM The FeatherFire Alcohol Stove
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
There are a lot of good alcohol stoves out there. Finding ones that simmer well? Well, that's not quite so easy. Today, I'd like to look at the FeatherFire stove which not only simmers well, but does it on the fly without any change of equipment or having to take the pot off the stove.

The FeatherFire.

In order to simmer, you have to have some pretty decent flame control. The FeatherFire does. Here's the high flame:

And here's the low flame:

What's the secret? Please join me as I take a look at The FeatherFire Alcohol Stove.

HJ

#239828 - 01/21/12 08:26 PM Re: The FeatherFire Alcohol Stove -- OT [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
HJ -- Try Goat Cheese in your salmon omelet. Saute some spinach and onions, and when they are slightly reduced add in the salmon to warm it up. Cook up the eggs for the omelet as per usual and then add Goat Cheese and the Salmon-Spinach-Onion mix -- outstanding imo. Goat Cheese and Salmon really play well together. To do that on a backpacking stove... priceless.

#239829 - 01/21/12 08:40 PM Re: The FeatherFire Alcohol Stove -- OT [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

NICE! But my wife will never hear of it. She doesn't like the strong taste. Sounds like one for when I'm out on the trail solo though.

Thanks,

HJ

#239830 - 01/21/12 08:59 PM Re: The FeatherFire Alcohol Stove -- OT [Re: Hikin_Jim]
LED Offline
Veteran

Nice review Jim, thanks. Very nice stove, but it seems slightly more complex (and delicate?) than I want an alcohol stove to be. What are your thoughts on its durability? I'll probably stick with the trangia simmer ring for now. Oh and thanks for making me hungry.

#239835 - 01/21/12 09:48 PM Re: The FeatherFire Alcohol Stove -- OT [Re: LED]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: LED
Nice review Jim, thanks. Very nice stove, but it seems slightly more complex (and delicate?) than I want an alcohol stove to be. What are your thoughts on its durability? I'll probably stick with the trangia simmer ring for now. Oh and thanks for making me hungry.
Yeah, if you read the very last part of the review, I make comments along those lines.

I think the pot supports are the most vulnerable component, followed by the simmering apparatus. If you're a careful person, I think it would be fine. If you're the type that's a bit hard on gear, then not so good.

The Trangia is the "gold standard" of reliability. You're not going to easily beat a Trangia with any stove made from a beverage can. If you put a Trangia on a railroad track, they'd throw you in jail for trying to derail the train. wink

PackaFeather has a second stove, the XL. I believe they're trying to play on the idea that it eXceLs not that it's eXtra Large. The XL has much more durable pot supports from what I can tell. If so, then it looks as though PackaFeather has resolved the chief vulnerability of the stove already.

HJ

#239838 - 01/21/12 10:18 PM Re: The FeatherFire Alcohol Stove -- OT [Re: Hikin_Jim]
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida
Jim,

Did you ever consider a career as an outdoor writer? I think you would be great at it. If you need references, I am sure you could get plenty here, you've got mine! I'll subscribe to any magazine that brings you on.

The best,

Jerry

#239840 - 01/21/12 11:07 PM Re: The FeatherFire Alcohol Stove [Re: Hikin_Jim]
GarlyDog Offline
ô¿ô
Old Hand

Loc: The People's Republic of IL
Another great review. Thanks!

#239869 - 01/22/12 05:48 AM Re: The FeatherFire Alcohol Stove -- OT [Re: JerryFountain]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: JerryFountain
Jim,

Did you ever consider a career as an outdoor writer? I think you would be great at it. If you need references, I am sure you could get plenty here, you've got mine! I'll subscribe to any magazine that brings you on.

The best,

Jerry
Thanks, Jerry,

Much appreciated. Now I just need to find someone to hire me. Considering that I'm between jobs right now, I'd be super open to it.

HJ

#239873 - 01/22/12 06:40 AM Re: The FeatherFire Alcohol Stove [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Jim,That is one trick alky stove,for sure!I like that worm drive concept,& It will "Wow" alot of hikers for some time to come,though as you stated"On the trail packing,might be another story!" I don't think the parts will rattle loose,short of a tumble,& I think the control would be compatable with gloves on!As Alway's Your Photo-Zen is Keen,Thanks for the Great review!

#239888 - 01/22/12 01:43 PM Re: The FeatherFire Alcohol Stove [Re: GarlyDog]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: GarlyDog
Another great review. Thanks!
Thanks, Gary. I had good material. smile

HJ

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 536 Guests and 31 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.