Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#239726 - 01/20/12 06:49 AM Refilling Gas Canisters
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Of course it's possible to refill backpacking type gas canisters. But what are the real risks? What are the practicalities? Is it even worth it?

Please join me as I explore Refilling Gas Canisters

HJ

#239727 - 01/20/12 08:43 AM Re: Refilling Gas Canisters [Re: Hikin_Jim]
adam2 Offline
Addict

Loc: Somerset UK
I would advise against refilling gas cylinders that are intended to be disposable.

When a container is filled, it is most important that it is not completly full, in order to allow room for expansion.
If the container is overfilled, then even a modest increase in temperature may cause it to burst.

There is also the risk of filling a butane container with propane or with a butane/propane mix which has a higher pressure.

The risks may be somwhat reduced by
Only filling on a hot day, in order that subsequent temperature increases are unlikely.
Only partialy filling
Keeping re-filled containers outdoors
Not keeping them long term.

Refilling should be done, if at all, outdoors due to the risk of leakage.

The best advice though, IMO is dont.

AFAIK in some states of the USA it is a federal offence to transport refilled disposable gas canisters.

#239732 - 01/20/12 11:40 AM Re: Refilling Gas Canisters [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
I wonder why there is no adapter for the 110 g butane canister: a folding three-legged wire frame to replace the backpack canister as a stove support and a flex tube to attach the cheap butane canister directly to the stove?

#239733 - 01/20/12 12:10 PM Re: Refilling Gas Canisters [Re: adam2]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Not a very good idea. If I really want to save money I will simply build a campfire. I don't do that much any more, but I have cooked many a meal over one.

#239736 - 01/20/12 01:55 PM Re: Refilling Gas Canisters [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Ian Offline

Loc: Scotland
Somebody filled the canisters in the first place.

How did they do it?

Copy them.

#239746 - 01/20/12 04:11 PM Re: Refilling Gas Canisters [Re: Ian]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Ian
Somebody filled the canisters in the first place.

How did they do it?

Copy them.

Most likely, it isn't economically feasible to have the same hardware and procedures they used. It certainly isn't feasible for me to pressure-test and recertify them at home.

#239757 - 01/20/12 06:04 PM Re: Refilling Gas Canisters [Re: adam2]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: adam2
I would advise against refilling gas cylinders that are intended to be disposable.

When a container is filled, it is most important that it is not completly full, in order to allow room for expansion.
If the container is overfilled, then even a modest increase in temperature may cause it to burst.

There is also the risk of filling a butane container with propane or with a butane/propane mix which has a higher pressure.

The risks may be somwhat reduced by
Only filling on a hot day, in order that subsequent temperature increases are unlikely.
Only partialy filling
Keeping re-filled containers outdoors
Not keeping them long term.

Refilling should be done, if at all, outdoors due to the risk of leakage.

The best advice though, IMO is dont.
Adam,

I wonder, did you read my blog post at all?

I specifically addressed overfilling. I specifically addressed the proper mix of gasses. I specifically addressed safe vapor pressure.

Originally Posted By: adam2
AFAIK in some states of the USA it is a federal offence to transport refilled disposable gas canisters.
If it varies state to state, then it is not a Federal offense. The US Department of Transportation (DOT) regulates interstate commerce. Transportation across state lines is within their jurisdiction, and my understanding is that DOT does prohibit such transport. I so state in my blog post.

HJ

#239761 - 01/20/12 06:56 PM Re: Refilling Gas Canisters [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Byrd_Huntr
I wonder why there is no adapter for the 110 g butane canister: a folding three-legged wire frame to replace the backpack canister as a stove support and a flex tube to attach the cheap butane canister directly to the stove?
Do you mean something like this: Three Legged Butane Adapter?

I find that it's easier (at least for me) to do the fiddling at home rather than fiddling with an adapter in the field. Also the adapter weighs more (78g) than many stoves (MSR MicroRocket, 73g), so weight wise it doesn't appeal to me. But that equation will be different for different folks.

However, if one were out on a long distance hike, carrying the adapter would mean that one could use either type of fuel, which might be an advantage. I've seen the butane canisters in a lot of grocery stores, stores that I've never seen a BP'ing type canister in.

HJ

#239763 - 01/20/12 07:09 PM Re: Refilling Gas Canisters [Re: hikermor]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: hikermor
Not a very good idea. If I really want to save money I will simply build a campfire. I don't do that much any more, but I have cooked many a meal over one.
Well, it's definitely hiking with the training wheels off. You can do more, but you can also get yourself into a lot more trouble.

I ran everything by an engineer (one who burns hydrocarbons for a living) and a physicist. Clean bill of health. There are dangers, but not inordinate given the type of gas used, the quality of refilling rig used, and the procedures used.

HOWEVER, risk assessment is a very personal thing. If there's any doubt in anyone's mind, then I wouldn't do it. A lot of the time, I post to show what can be done. Most people will never need to use many of the techniques I'm showing.

I'm working on some stuff for extreme cold weather right now (below -35F/-37C). Just going out in that weather is in and of itself risky.

HJ

#239764 - 01/20/12 07:30 PM Re: Refilling Gas Canisters [Re: Hikin_Jim]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Why would anyone be willing to play with fire like this (pun intended) to save a few cents? It boggles my mind. If the few cents you might save by refilling something not meant to be refilled are that important to your financial situation, I would recommend using an alcohol or wood burning stove instead of a pressurized gas one.

But if you insist on refilling your cannisters, be sure and yell "Hey y'all, watch this!" before you begin. That is the universally recognized warning phrase that you are about to make your bid for a Darwin Award. Others can clear the area accordingly.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (jds), 517 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by chaosmagnet
Today at 07:18 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Today at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.