Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#239171 - 01/12/12 09:09 PM A Power Outage Every Month...
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
This morning, when we woke up, the power was out. Again. There was a bit of a storm last night, something went wrong somewhere, the lights were out.

My wife just hooked up the generator, I hauled out the butane stove, we cooked, ate, got the kid off to school, and I came home to work from home. OK, so our home is well prepared for blackouts, but the blackouts are coming closer together, they are lasting longer (the one after Hurricane Irene was 10 days for many people around here, it was just 5 days for us). Then after the Halloween freak storm power was out for 3 days. Each month, we have an outage of several hours or days,

Anyone else noticing a less reliable grid?

#239174 - 01/12/12 10:09 PM Re: A Power Outage Every Month... [Re: MartinFocazio]
buckeye Offline
life is about the journey

Loc: Ohio
Things stay relatively calm here in central Ohio. We rarely have outages and when we do, they generally only last for a few moments to maybe a minute, with no increase in duration nor frequency.

We were out several days when the remnants of hurricane Rita passed through here several years ago, but that's not common.

As this is a relatively safe area of the country, you are all welcome to move here. I'd enjoy having some people around me who appreciate the need to prepare.

Of course, now that I said we are relatively safe, this will probably be the spot where the next asteriod decides to impact....... sick

-- b

I have no interest in or affiliation to any of the products or services I may mention. Should I ever, I will clearly state so.

#239175 - 01/12/12 10:15 PM Re: A Power Outage Every Month... [Re: MartinFocazio]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I remember it was about three years ago, right after we moved the power was out in our old neighborhood for 9 days.
We had a major ice storm a few years before which resulted in power out in most of the city for a couple days so the power company came out and butchered the trees that they ran their wires through the middle of then a few years later the trees that recovered got their revenge and power was out twice as long. The tree was right next to my house next to a big empty field and they just couldn't the electric lines through the middle of the open field, they had to put them right through the middle of the trees. It was probably 5 degrees hotter in my house in the summer with half the shade gone after the "trimmed".
My new neighborhood the lines are underground but we've still had a couple short outages within the three years I've been here.
This is Central Ohio too. Old house was in the middle east of Columbus, new house just north of the outerbelt.

Edited by Eugene (01/12/12 10:18 PM)

#239176 - 01/12/12 10:17 PM Re: A Power Outage Every Month... [Re: MartinFocazio]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
Originally Posted By: MartinFocazio

Anyone else noticing a less reliable grid?

At my house in NJ, power has been extremely reliable. For the past couple years they've been doing a lot of work on the poles, including adding a bunch of solar panels everywhere. I was really surprised that our power didn't go out for more than a minute or two during that freak snowstorm we had that took down trees all over.

With my apartment out in PA, the power has always been terrible. It goes out at least three times a year, and every time it goes out it's out at least all day. What makes that more annoying though, is that everything in the apartment is electric. Thankfully, I'm prepared for it, so it isn't anything more than an inconvenience, but it's still annoying.

#239177 - 01/12/12 10:37 PM Re: A Power Outage Every Month... [Re: MartinFocazio]
GarlyDog Offline
τΏτ
Old Hand

Loc: The People's Republic of IL
We struggle with similar issues, but not as bad as yours. Last year out for 9 days at one time, 3 days for another.

I'm kind of nervous today because it's snowing heavy and we are overdue.

#239182 - 01/12/12 11:28 PM Re: A Power Outage Every Month... [Re: MartinFocazio]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
We had more outages in 2011 than in the previous ten. I ended up buying a generator...and the outages stopped. The generator has been through the mandated break-in and long-term-storage procedures. Also, I put together a one-page cheatsheet for generator operations, laminated it and made a little package out of everything needed in the garage in case my wife needs to get it going in my absence.

#239185 - 01/12/12 11:37 PM Re: A Power Outage Every Month... [Re: chaosmagnet]
buckeye Offline
life is about the journey

Loc: Ohio
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
I ended up buying a generator...and the outages stopped.

Isn't that usually the way it seem to work out. frown

But I'm sure (unfortunately), it will come in handy in the future. In the meantime, I've just decided to think of these things as self-insurance
-- b

I have no interest in or affiliation to any of the products or services I may mention. Should I ever, I will clearly state so.

#239186 - 01/12/12 11:38 PM Re: A Power Outage Every Month... [Re: chaosmagnet]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Our grid is robust and reliable - this will probably continue until either our next significant earthquake or a really big Santa Ana windstorm. Some areas of SoCal did have outages after a recent Santa Ana windstorm.

#239193 - 01/13/12 12:55 AM Re: A Power Outage Every Month... [Re: hikermor]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: hikermor
Our grid is robust and reliable - this will probably continue until either our next significant earthquake or a really big Santa Ana windstorm. Some areas of SoCal did have outages after a recent Santa Ana windstorm.
Oh, yes they did indeed. Some for several days or even a week in duration.

HJ

#239195 - 01/13/12 01:57 AM Re: A Power Outage Every Month... [Re: MartinFocazio]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

We've had only two significant power outages in the past twenty years, that I can recall: 1994 (ice storm, temps in the teens - rolling blackouts to ease the load on the grid) and 2008 (equipment malfunction - 102 degrees - how did people live here before a/c?)

Our lines are underground, which avoids a lot of problems.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 567 Guests and 87 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.