Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#239196 - 01/13/12 02:16 AM Re: A Power Outage Every Month... [Re: MartinFocazio]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Now what I find funny, since I dumped roadrunner for wide open west for internet my power has been out more then my internet. I'll report my power out via the power companies web site.

#239210 - 01/13/12 01:57 PM Re: A Power Outage Every Month... [Re: MartinFocazio]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland

We began experiencing frequent power outages when we moved from Virgina to here in Maryland. During the 20 years we spent in our Virgina home, we lost power about 3 times, all during Hurricanes.

Here in Maryland, over the past 11 years, we lose power about 4-5 times a year, sometime for just a few moments, but also as long a 7 days, with several 1-3 day outages.

We know the problem, but can't get the power company to do anything about it. Our development is about 65 homes, and within the development, utilities are underground, but the feeder line from the substation (about 1 mile away)travels over poles that go through a heavily wooded area for about 1/2 of that distance. The trees are overgrown and the power company never goes into the woods to trim the trees. Thus, there are a lot of falling branches shorting and/or breaking the feed lines for our small community.

Like most power companies, ours gives priority restoration to the most users first. 65 users are on the low end for restoration, thus we wait a long time in any widespread outage.

As near as I can guess, it seems that the costs of trimming are more than the costs of restoration, so the trees continue to grow into, through and over the wires.

So, I don't know if this should be called a technical "grid" problem or "saving" money through "deferred maintenance." Maybe there is no difference.

Ultimately, we ended up with an automatic standby generator.

It might be worthwhile to see if you can find out if there are trees around the power lines feeding your home that are causing the frequent outages. You never know, you might have some luck in getting the power company in to trim the problem trees.

#239230 - 01/13/12 06:29 PM Re: A Power Outage Every Month... [Re: ]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
Where we live in Maryland (Frederick City) we rarely loose power for more than a few minutes (now I have jinxed it). We had one outage a few years ago that lasted several hours, mainly an inconvenience. While the downtown has buried lines, our neighborhood still has above ground lines.

Pete

#239242 - 01/13/12 08:19 PM Re: A Power Outage Every Month... [Re: MartinFocazio]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: MartinFocazio
Anyone else noticing a less reliable grid?

I haven't noticed it where I am, but I worry a bit how things shake out in the coming years.

A combination of aging infrastructure, bad economic times that squeezes maintenance/replacement cycles, copper thieves, entering a higher sunspot activity phase, and apparently more frequent extreme weather events (Seems like more and more once-in-a-century type events occuring) makes me wonder if power will be a bit less reliable for a while.

These copper thieves really make me mad. And they must be mad to pull off some of the heists that they do, like stealing "hot" wires to street lamps or even to public transit (thieves pulled hot wires from the BART commuter train system in the San Francisco Bay Area over the holidays while I was visiting there). I'm surprised we don't find more people electrocuted.

#239656 - 01/18/12 08:42 PM Re: A Power Outage Every Month... [Re: MartinFocazio]
airballrad Offline
Gear Junkie
Enthusiast

Loc: Gulf Coast Florida, USA
We've been in our current house for about 2.5 years, and the neighborhood is about 9 years old. According to our neighbors things have been fairly rock-solid after some initial hiccups. Until about a year ago. We had a couple outages in the early summer that went for an hour and change each, and then two days after Irene. Nothing awful, but enough to get one to thinking.

We have a standby generator now. I don't know if the past year was a fluke or a warning, but we will have a dry basement and safe food at least until the gas service gives out...

Edited by airballrad (01/18/12 08:43 PM)

#239666 - 01/18/12 11:57 PM Re: A Power Outage Every Month... [Re: MartinFocazio]
PSM Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Cochise Co., AZ
Heck, we lose power every night. We're building an off-grid house (not a greenie; the power companys don't service our area) and we've been powered by a Champion 4500/3500W gennie 16 to 17 hours a day since Nov. 22. We ordered our solar batteries in October and are still waiting for them.

The Champion was our emergency back-up when we lived in California. Never used it for an emergency.

#239668 - 01/19/12 12:10 AM Re: A Power Outage Every Month... [Re: MartinFocazio]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
How has your Champion generator held up? I bought one recently and it's the first generator I've owned.

#239671 - 01/19/12 12:54 AM Re: A Power Outage Every Month... [Re: chaosmagnet]
PSM Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Cochise Co., AZ
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
How has your Champion generator held up? I bought one recently and it's the first generator I've owned.

Not a hickup. It burns about 5 gal a day (16 hours) and seems to burn about 2oz of oil a day. It runs everthing in the house (if we're carefull not to run heavy items at the same time). I drag it to the well pump about every six days to top off the 1200 gal water tank (it's 1500 gal, but we don't fill it to the top). I usually change the oil then, also. I have a "constant-use" spark plug for it but have not installed it yet (if it ain't broke, don't fix it).

#239679 - 01/19/12 04:33 AM Re: A Power Outage Every Month... [Re: MartinFocazio]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Nice. Thanks for the report.

#239871 - 01/22/12 06:08 AM Re: A Power Outage Every Month... [Re: bws48]
gitnready4it Offline
Stranger

I know how it is to be very low on the electric company's priority list. where I live we had an ice storm a couple of years ago and the large sub-division just down the road had power after two days. We were out for eight days. I am actually glad it happened though because that's why I first got into prepping. It's surprising how much you can learn in eight days!

Survival Foods

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 231 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hoover Stew
by brandtb
51 minutes 51 seconds ago
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.