Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#238865 - 01/07/12 06:59 PM Re: Wolf attack in Jasper [Re: chaosmagnet]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet

Some people are not seriously effected by capsaicin sprays, and I'm told some dogs are not either.

References? I did a little cursory googling and most of what I found stated that OC spray was effective on canines (mostly dogs). Interesting possibility that there is immunity. i would bet such folk would be in high demand for protests, demonstrations, and other such events.

#238866 - 01/07/12 07:10 PM Re: Wolf attack in Jasper [Re: dougwalkabout]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
Those statistics won't apply if you bring a wolf magnet
(AKA pet) with you.

Pepper spray would probably work for the first wolf or two of
the pack.

Wolves are being established now in NE Washington State. Local
livestock losses last year ran about $48,000 for a tiny section
of range called "the Wedge".

One of the state Senators is proposing local folks buy non-resident hunting licenses for British Columbia to take wolves, before more work their way in the US, since they are protected here.

#238868 - 01/07/12 07:24 PM Re: Wolf attack in Jasper [Re: clearwater]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: clearwater

One of the state Senators is proposing local folks buy non-resident hunting licenses for British Columbia to take wolves, before more work their way in the US, since they are protected here.

I don't think the politics of wolves should be discussed here as it has nothing to do with Doug's original post...

John Lubbock

#238872 - 01/07/12 08:56 PM Re: Wolf attack in Jasper [Re: dougwalkabout]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
While the focus of the story is on a "lone" wolf attack, the reality is that when they found the kill site they found a pack had killed the dog and ate it. The one animal that the owner saw might have been warded off by bear spray but you can bet the other pack animals that she wasn't aware of would have finished the attack. "Two adult and three juvenile wolves — the Pyramid pack — had chosen Helio for dinner."

Unfortunately for the owner, there is nothing practical that she could have done to ward off the attack once begun. After watching some film of wolves in action and see how they take down prey like elk or even turn on a loner within their own pack - once they set their mind on something, thats it. She was lucky it was only her dog they were after.

Malcolm preaches caution: move in groups, make noise, bring pepper spray, and keeping children and pets close. If you run into a predator, assess what’s happening. “We try to get people to differentiate between a predatory and a defensive attack, because your actions determine your success,” Malcolm said. “If it’s defensive, not aggressive, create space, use bear spray, remove yourself. If it’s a predatory attack, that’s not going to work.”

#238893 - 01/08/12 02:30 AM Re: Wolf attack in Jasper [Re: Teslinhiker]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker
Originally Posted By: clearwater

I don't think the politics of wolves should be discussed here as it has nothing to do with Doug's original post...

The senator isn't proposing a law or any other political solution, he's just saying go hunt them in Canada before they cross the border. I'm okay with Clearwater's post paraphrasing the senator.
-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#238905 - 01/08/12 12:24 PM Re: Wolf attack in Jasper [Re: dougwalkabout]
LED Offline
Veteran

Sad story. But nothing a fixed blade knife couldn't have solved. Even a decent folder would've been effective.

#238908 - 01/08/12 01:51 PM Re: Wolf attack in Jasper [Re: Richlacal]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
This is why I carry a small semi-auto pistol when I backpack/camp in US National Forests which allow open carry.

Our threats down here are Mountain Lion, Coyote, and Black Bear. I feel that the sound of a ground discharge would discourage a Mountain Lion and Black Bear but a dead coyote won't come back to create mischief.

My nephew that goes with me didn't want the extra weight but I feel it is worth it and 1 is sufficient to deter or put an end to an animal attack.

#238911 - 01/08/12 03:45 PM Re: Wolf attack in Jasper [Re: hikermor]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: hikermor
References? I did a little cursory googling and most of what I found stated that OC spray was effective on canines (mostly dogs).

It's all anecdotal from police officers I know. They've told me some people are tolerant because they're whacked out on illegal drugs, others can build up a tolerance through exposure to capsaicin sprays or supposedly from capsaicinoids in food. An officer I know had to shoot and kill a dog after pepper spray failed to repel it (and as far as we know the dog was neither high nor had been eating lots of spicy peppers).

Quote:
Interesting possibility that there is immunity. i would bet such folk would be in high demand for protests, demonstrations, and other such events.

Wouldn't it be easier to carry gas masks?

#238914 - 01/08/12 05:11 PM Re: Wolf attack in Jasper [Re: dougwalkabout]
BruceZed Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Canada
Wolves need to eat, don't take your dog to the woods or it might get eaten
boreal.net

#238922 - 01/08/12 08:31 PM Re: Wolf attack in Jasper [Re: chaosmagnet]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
I could be wrong but I think the OC spray that the LEOS carry is less potent than good bear spray. Yes, I've heard about some drugged out people whom have been sprayed with little effect. This happened locally a few years ago, they ended up nonfatally shooting the addict with their sidearm.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 290 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.