Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#238828 - 01/07/12 03:27 AM Wolf attack in Jasper
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
A resident wolf pack targeted, took down, and ate a dog that was walking with its owner on a trail near Jasper, Alberta.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/Death+cautionary+tale+about+wolves+Jasper/5959552/story.html

This hits close to home, too close. I walk solo on Pyramid Bench every time I'm in Jasper.

Edited by dougwalkabout (01/07/12 03:27 AM)

#238830 - 01/07/12 03:44 AM Re: Wolf attack in Jasper [Re: dougwalkabout]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
Wolves are making a huge comeback after being nearly extinct. While that's great for the species, one does have to keep in mind that they are an apex predator for many areas and will treat many pets, and even humans, as potential prey. Due to this, there becomes an increased level of danger that people need to be aware of.

This is the problem we are/were having in NJ recently. We've had a lot of black bears coming into people's backyards, homes, dumpsters, ect due to an increase in the bear population. This, of course, caused an increase in complaints. So, the government recently opened a bear season/hunt to help quell population numbers. Of course, they caught a lot of complaints/protests from that too. smirk

#238831 - 01/07/12 03:56 AM Re: Wolf attack in Jasper [Re: dougwalkabout]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
It's been a few years since I have been in Jasper. However if I recall, Pyramid Bench is also within the confines of Jaspar National Park which like many of our National Parks, has a dog on leash rule in place.

Although I feel for the lady that her dog died, however it is also mentioned that she gives out trail advise and tips of the general area and we always hear that keeping dogs on a leash is the best way to ensure their safety and well being. Although we will never know, had her dog been confined to the leash, there could of been a different outcome...

Stepping back and looking at the big picture though, Jaspar and the other surrounding parks and mountain areas attract hundreds of thousands of trail visits per year so the likelihood of these types of wolf attack incidents will always be far more rare then common.

John Lubbock

#238832 - 01/07/12 04:26 AM Re: Wolf attack in Jasper [Re: dougwalkabout]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
After learning about that incident,I would tote a short barrel shottie,as you Canucks call them!Wolves were never close to extinction in Canada,so this is normal behaviour for a Timber Wolf.It's not going to affect anyones path of life adversely if a few wolves meet their maker!If that were me walking my dog,there wouldn't be that"Dog bitey sound"that's for sure!I have family/friends living in Montana & N.Dakota that are having problems with that very same species,that were transplanted 10 yrs ago,Real Brilliant planning by people of whom do not inhabit those area's!Sorry!,I almost started to rant,I bid you Good thinking for any future walks in that realm!

#238846 - 01/07/12 07:17 AM Re: Wolf attack in Jasper [Re: dougwalkabout]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
It's a national park. The wolves are supposed to be there. Along with the black bears, grizzlies, and cougars.

(I should point out that firearms are prohibited in Canada's national parks, excepting park staff and peace officers. Given the speed of events, I doubt one would have been helpful except as a noisemaker. And anyway, I have yet to see a jogger willing to schlep a scattergun and ammo -- I can barely convince them to carry a fanny pack and water bottle.)

I agree with Teslin_ that this is statistically not a big deal. I have hiked this area for 20 years and have yet to see a wolf. (Though they may have seen me.) The real hazards in winter are icy trails, avalanche terrain, and the usual suspects such as hypothermia. When I walk there in winter, I hardly even think of large animal hazards, since the elk rut is over and the bears are all in bed.

It's the wolf's utter indifference, running right past an adult human, that gives me pause. A little too tame (habituated?) for comfort. In future, I might just keep a few useful items closer at hand on my solo forays.

As the owner fully recognizes, the dog should have been on a leash, and that might have tipped things the other way. To her credit, she takes responsibility for her mistake. Still, I feel for her loss -- it's hard not to second guess and beat yourself up over something like this.

(As for the concept of dogs on national park trails as a whole, well, I will only say that I leave mine at home and encourage others to do the same.)

#238851 - 01/07/12 10:50 AM Re: Wolf attack in Jasper [Re: dougwalkabout]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
In a place where you can't carry a firearm maybe bear spray would tip the odds in your favor were you to have a run-in with the local fauna.

#238855 - 01/07/12 02:20 PM Re: Wolf attack in Jasper [Re: Phaedrus]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Bear spray is actually more effective than bullets is protecting yourself against bears. Bullets are not likely to kill the animal quickly enough to prevent escalation of the attach and will lead to serious injury.

Something like 90% of the time, bear spray will deter the attack with no serious consequences. The most important thing is to keep a clean camp (a really clean camp) and be aware.

#238860 - 01/07/12 05:22 PM Re: Wolf attack in Jasper [Re: dougwalkabout]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
I bet wolves wouldn't be any more fond of bear spray than a bear. I tested mine ONCE. Just a quick spray. I only caught the tail end of the cloud. That was enough to convince me. This stuff works.

HJ

#238862 - 01/07/12 05:55 PM Re: Wolf attack in Jasper [Re: Hikin_Jim]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Hikin_Jim
I bet wolves wouldn't be any more fond of bear spray than a bear. I tested mine ONCE. Just a quick spray. I only caught the tail end of the cloud. That was enough to convince me. This stuff works.

Some people are not seriously effected by capsaicin sprays, and I'm told some dogs are not either. I don't want to discourage anyone from carrying bear spray, especially in bear country, but I wouldn't recommend relying on it alone to deter wolves.

#238864 - 01/07/12 06:10 PM Re: Wolf attack in Jasper [Re: dougwalkabout]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
It's a national park. The wolves are supposed to be there. Along with the black bears, grizzlies, and cougars.....I agree with Teslin_ that this is statistically not a big deal. ..... The real hazards in winter are icy trails, avalanche terrain, and the usual suspects such as hypothermia. .....(As for the concept of dogs on national park trails as a whole, well, I will only say that I leave mine at home and encourage others to do the same.)

I totally agree with doug & Teslin on all points.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 277 Guests and 120 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.