Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#237997 - 12/26/11 02:54 AM Re: Walking speeds [Re: TeacherRO]
Pete Offline
Veteran

I've been doing a lot of walking lately. It's pretty hard to exceed 4mph, even when you are working yourself hard. To get up to speeds of 4.5-5 mph requires a special movement technique. Walking athletes call it "power walking", and the British military refers to it as "tabbing". Basically, you need to throw your hips forward each time you take a step - thereby lengthening your stride by a few inches. You can train yourself to do it. It still counts as walking because your heels hit the ground before the ball of the foot ... but the average spectator might think you were almost jogging.

I would agree that a steady pace of 3 mph is more practical for the vast majority of people, esp. over varied terrain (but with solid footing).

Pete 2

#238000 - 12/26/11 04:01 AM Re: Walking speeds [Re: Pete]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: Pete
I've been doing a lot of walking lately. It's pretty hard to exceed 4mph, even when you are working yourself hard.

I would agree that a steady pace of 3 mph is more practical for the vast majority of people, esp. over varied terrain (but with solid footing).

Pete 2

You are quite right. I can get up about a 4.5 mph walking pace as I did yesterday. However as also mentioned yesterday, I could not keep this pace for hours. 3 mph is much more realistic pace for most everyone on fairly easy terrain.

John Lubbock

#238004 - 12/26/11 04:51 AM Re: Walking speeds [Re: TeacherRO]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
I did some crude measuring. When I'm walking into work on Monday morning, my average speed is 1.25 MPH. When I'm walking out of work on Friday afternoon, my speed is 9.75 MPH.

#238005 - 12/26/11 05:07 AM Re: Walking speeds [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: Byrd_Huntr
I did some crude measuring. When I'm walking into work on Monday morning, my average speed is 1.25 MPH. When I'm walking out of work on Friday afternoon, my speed is 9.75 MPH.

I would like to see the afterburners on those shoes that you wear home on Fridays!

John Lubbock

#238245 - 12/30/11 01:39 AM Re: Walking speeds [Re: TeacherRO]
Pete Offline
Veteran

"When I'm walking out of work on Friday afternoon, my speed is 9.75 MPH."

Hahahaha !!!
Good one :-)
I could probably boost my speed if I were heading towards happy hour at the local pub too.

Pete2

#238332 - 12/31/11 12:36 AM Re: Walking speeds [Re: yelp]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
I am old and fat so walk pretty slow. On level easy trails a little over 2 mph. On trails that includes some picture taking time and time for the beagle to get in some creek time and some good sniffs.

The other day we were on more rugged up and down terrain. We did 5.1 miles in 3 hours and ten minutes. About 1.6 MPH.

We did another trail last week )or maybe it was the week before) that was 11.7 miles back and forth in just under 6 hours. Level and easy trail though.

By the way, why would a beagle be chicken of chickens? She is not chicken of other birds. She has been up close to wild geese, turkeys, crows, and ducks, and never seemed to care. When we were out a week or so ago, we ran across about 20 chickens on the trail. She wanted absolutely nothing to do with them. She tried to go back where we came from on the trail. I had to have a very serious chat with her to get her moving past the chickens.

Bob

#238341 - 12/31/11 01:19 AM Re: Walking speeds [Re: TeacherRO]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Olympic walkers are averaging more than 10 mph (less than 6 min/mi). Most fit people cannot RUN a mile that fast. So, 6 mph may be fast for a normal person, but it's well below the bragging rights pace for the sport of walking.

For me, 6 mph (10 min/mi) is a light jogging pace. A max walk speed for me is somewhere around 4.5 mi/hr. I could walk at 5 mph for a short burst. I don't think it's possible for me to walk at 10 mph even for a short burst, and I'm not interested in risking an injury to try!

#238342 - 12/31/11 01:28 AM Re: Walking speeds [Re: ILBob]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Originally Posted By: ILBob
By the way, why would a beagle be chicken of chickens? She is not chicken of other birds.

Not sure about the beagle, but I knew a tuna who was chicken of the sea!

#238498 - 01/02/12 10:39 PM Re: Walking speeds [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
My rule of thumb for planning purposes in most conditions is 3 km per hour, or about 1.9 mph. That gives plenty of leeway for the unexpected (heavy terrain, heavy pack, unfit person in the group or the group just feels like strolling about, chatting and having a good time).

A fit person can comfortably walk as fast as 5-6 km per hour (3.1-3.7 mph) on very easy terrain (firm paths, relatively flat). I don't think it is realistic to plan for anything faster than that. Your mileage will vary, but 6 km (3.7 mph) is where I stop enjoy walking. (Depending on company and situations I sometimes just have to stop whining and endure a faster pace than I like). I have friends with longer legs that comfortably can walk faster, but they are a minority.

So - most of the time I use 2 mph, but I'll use 3.7 as an upper limit if conditions justify it (paved path, easy terrain, known participiants).

Running is a totally different story.

#238606 - 01/04/12 03:15 AM Re: Walking speeds [Re: TeacherRO]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca
the army, who may or may not know a thing or two about walking, says the average is 4 km / hr. which according to the tubes is 2.48 mph.

army

see graph at "dismounted movement".

that's flat terrain.

now if you are going uphill or downhilll - my favorite - see same chart for added or subtracted times.

for me, they can be very close to reality when planning for a hike.

pack weight can influence speed / times as well - as does everything else mentioned in previous posts.

good topic.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 537 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.