The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#237806 - 12/22/11 10:36 PM Survival Clothes
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
The wool blanket thread (and others) has me thinking about the extra clothes I keep in my hiking kits and GHB. The purpose of these is for an extra layer of warmth for an unexpected overnight and also for something to wear while my primary clothes dry, should I somehow end up soaked.

I carry a wool jacket in my short hike kit and a polar fleece top & bottom in my long hike kit/GHB, along with wool socks and mitts, thinsulate neck gator and hat, as well as an emerg poncho, in both kits. I have rain pants in the GHB as well and I also just picked up a Polar Buff that I'll probably EDC.

What do you carry for back-up clothing and why? Kit fiddling - ain't it fun?

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#237808 - 12/22/11 11:28 PM Re: Survival Clothes [Re: bacpacjac]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I'm going to arbitrarily decide that footwear counts as being on-topic for this thread. I have a nice pair of waterproof hiking boots that I wore just enough to break in and then stashed in my car kit. With my bad back and exceptionally flat feet I'm dependent on custom orthotics to be able to walk any distance. That means only buying shoes that they'll fit in, and it also means that I have an old-but-still-good pair stashed with those boots. Footwear is rounded out with a pair of Under Armour socks (try them, you'll be glad you did) and some wool socks.

My car kit has a pair of quick-dry pants that are marginally acceptable for the office. I do have an inexpensive rain suit in the car, so I could wear the bottoms to get some degree of protection from snow as well. Skivvies and a belt round out this area.

I'm more well-prepared North of the equator. I've got a short-sleeve T-shirt, a heavy long-sleeve shirt, a heavy fleece jacket, a sweater, a light parka, my favorite rain shell, the upper half of my inexpensive rain suit (it's been handy to have both on several occasions), a scarf and ski gloves.

This kit was put together at minimal cost other than the boots. I bought a cheap duffel bag that's held up well in my trunk. The clothes are largely old, several pieces come from a former employer with their logo on them.

#237810 - 12/22/11 11:37 PM Re: Survival Clothes [Re: bacpacjac]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
GI boonie hat, long sleeved nylon cape backed flats fishing shirt, nylon ripstop pants, polypro wicking socks, old pair of Rockport walking shoes

GHB has GI poncho and mosquito net

GoreTex rain jacket, fleece jacket, and watch cap always in car

#237812 - 12/22/11 11:39 PM Re: Survival Clothes [Re: bacpacjac]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Survival clothing in my usual SOCAL haunts would be a short list, primarily consisting of clothing for a short period following a serious earthquake.

However, I'm not always in SOCAL and for the times I leave there is a large duffel bag with clothing I don't typically wear in SOCAL:
- Nylon canvas pants which will soon be replaced/supplemented by REI Shuksan Pants. Depending on how they fit, I may provide for another layer.
- Parka w/liner
- Wool long underwear
- Wool shirt
- Wool sweater
- 2 pair Wool socks & 4 pair sock liners
- 8" Boots
- SmartWool Cuffed Beanie
- Gloves & glove liners

For some of you that may seem like overkill, but when you're acclimated to the lower elevations of SOCAL, anything south of 30°F is really cold. If it's too much I'll skip a layer.

#237816 - 12/23/11 12:19 AM Re: Survival Clothes [Re: Russ]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Russ

- Nylon canvas pants which will soon be replaced/supplemented by REI Shuksan Pants. Depending on how they fit, I may provide for another layer.
- Parka w/liner
- Wool long underwear
- Wool shirt
- Wool sweater
- 2 pair Wool socks & 4 pair sock liners
- 8" Boots
- SmartWool Cuffed Beanie
- Gloves & glove liners

For some of you that may seem like overkill, but when you're acclimated to the lower elevations of SOCAL, anything south of 30°F is really cold. If it's too much I'll skip a layer.

That's about -1 C? that's cold, especially if you're not used to it. If you add wind, it's worse.

#237817 - 12/23/11 12:22 AM Re: Survival Clothes [Re: chaosmagnet]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

"I'm going to arbitrarily decide that footwear counts as being on-topic for this thread."

Absolutely!! Footwear makes a huge difference. Anyone who doesn't think so should throw on a pair of regular running shoes and go stand outside for a while in minus 0 C temps and then do the same with nice warm boots.

#237819 - 12/23/11 12:37 AM Re: Survival Clothes [Re: bacpacjac]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
...Anyone who doesn't think so should throw on a pair of regular running shoes and go stand outside for a while in minus 0 C temps and then do the same with nice warm boots.
BTDT and it's a primary reason the winter kit came into being.

#237839 - 12/23/11 03:19 AM Re: Survival Clothes [Re: bacpacjac]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
Excellent discussion. My car has been well outfitted the past few years (especially in winter) including Gore-tex hiking boots, Smartwool socks (stuffed in the boots), long underwear, several pair of gloves and mittens (which gloveless friends have appreciated), fleece neck gaiter, balaclava, fleece hats.

One of my favorite layers in the car is a Marmot Dri-Clime vest. Campmor often has a great price on them.

New to the car this year: down booties. I had three pair in the house and decided a pair would take minimal space in the car and would be such a blessing if stranded.

And while not clothes but useful for putting in clothes: chemical hand and toe warmers. Costco sells them by the box.

#237844 - 12/23/11 04:04 AM Re: Survival Clothes [Re: bacpacjac]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
I carry as back up, 2pr-fleece boxer shorts, 1pr silk longjohns,2pr merino wool socks-Ballstons,1-medalist longsleeve shirt,1pr Goretex pants & Jacket,1-wool beenie,1-fleece beenie,1pr wool mitten liners w/trig finger,1pr mittens w/trig finger,2-wool 10x48"kidney wraps(scarves),1-merino wool Balaclava w/visor,Ballistic goggles-smoke/clear lenses wink

Edited by Richlacal (12/23/11 04:06 AM)
Edit Reason: left out an item

#237851 - 12/23/11 04:26 AM Re: Survival Clothes [Re: Richlacal]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Forgot about the footwear,I also carry an old,very comfortable pr of leather 5" hikers that were treated with mink oil,many yrs ago,they still have some knobbys left on the soles wink

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 537 Guests and 67 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.