Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#238331 - 12/31/11 12:28 AM Re: Rigid or soft coolers ?? [Re: unimogbert]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
Originally Posted By: unimogbert
For insulation ability I haven't been able to beat the cheap styrofoam cooler we bought for a picnic 27 years ago. But it's taken some TLC to get it this far. (the lid finally got abused and stressed enough to crack on the last trip)

Softside cooler doesn't hardly seem to provide much more than shade. Hard sided Coleman seems to be in between.

Will probably splurge and buy another styrofoam one. :-)

i used to travel on business a fair amount. One of the first things I usually did was go to Walmart or KMart and get a foam cooler and a case of pop. Never liked the $1.50 or $2 cans of pop at the hotels.

It never bothered me to leave the cooler and the left over pop when I left town.

Bob

#238371 - 12/31/11 06:17 PM Re: Rigid or soft coolers ?? [Re: Chisel]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
I prefer hard side coolers for my outings.

I like foam coolers next because they are easy and cheap to find at gas station stops for last minute ice/beverages/food and have no expectation of it surviving the trip and bringing.

We have a couple soft sides but they are worthless for long term cooling and forget about using loose ice cubes. The thawed water will leak through the zipper if it sloshes around or tips. Best bet is use frozen water bottles which will thaw and become drinkable or ziplock bags of ice. It works for us for very short trips of just a few bottles or cans.

#238400 - 01/01/12 05:19 AM Re: Rigid or soft coolers ?? [Re: Chisel]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
+1 on the hard sided coolers,they are tougher to transport than the softy's,but they are much more versatile,i.e.- great to sit on-try that with a softy!,make xlnt tables for eating,slicing,assembling,etc.,make good windbreaks & anchor points for tarps,If you keep it sanitary clean,you will have valuable ice water in arid climes(Desert area's) which is Perfect for The Arabian Desert, your own "mobile oasis",you can actually mis-treat a hardsided cooler & it will forgive you,& still provide for your needs!You can use it as a step-ladder to see over the next sand dune or as a podium to practice a speech,afterwards you hop down,crack the lid open for a frosty cold beverage on a normally Hot(120+F) day!A softy will make a decent pillow,or haste flip-flops if your shoes/boots get swallowed in a Haboob,lol! Have a Happy New Year,EVERYBODY! Cheers! Aud Lang syne,pip-pip & all that rot!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 256 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.