Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#237504 - 12/17/11 05:04 PM Re: Car Prep: food stash [Re: hikermor]
chaosmagnet Online   content
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: hikermor
I think the time required for beef jerkey to go bad must be geological in nature. I recently found a pack with an expiration date of 2005 - it was just fine....

It depends on the jerkey -- I buy stuff that's made locally and seems like it would last long enough to give to my grandchildren, if unopened.

Some brands go bad pretty quick, especially after being opened in a hot car. When it does go bad it's horrifying.

#237576 - 12/19/11 12:32 PM Re: Car Prep: food stash [Re: Dagny]
DaveT Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: NE Ohio
I've gone through different versions of things, but right now in our Honda Odyssey (I have a wife and three kids):

--A jar of peanut butter
--a small loaf of some German rye bread that's vacuum-bagged
--a few cans of Italian wedding soup
--about 10 Clif bars
--tea bags and hot chocolate packets
--Some loose hard candies (Jolly Ranchers, Werthers, etc.)
--6 1-liter Nalgene bottles
--an old mess kit with utensils
--an Optimus 8R or a 2-burner Coleman propane suitcase stove.

After a 9+ hour stint locked on unmoving interstate traffic last year, the only thing we used was the water and the Clif bars. I also usually keep a Lock and Lock container in the front stocked with random trail mix/granola bars to keep the kids going if they grumble about being hungry between meals.

#237577 - 12/19/11 01:12 PM Re: Car Prep: food stash [Re: DaveT]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I have never heard of "Italian wedding soup," perhaps because I have never married an Italian. Could you elucidate? Sounds interesting......

#237607 - 12/19/11 10:38 PM Re: Car Prep: food stash [Re: hikermor]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: hikermor
I have never heard of "Italian wedding soup," perhaps because I have never married an Italian. Could you elucidate? Sounds interesting......

"Wedding soup" is a mistranslation of minestra maritata, "married soup" -- in which green veggies join meat in a harmonious combination, hence "married." It's pretty yummy. You don't have to get married yourself.

I am going through certain health transitions, and I'm not sure what I can/cannot eat. But it looks like for now I have to rule out the usual survival stuff, including much of what you guys pack. It would be bad to get a reaction from the food in a survival situation. If things go the way they're going, eventually I'll probably have to pack certain dehydrated foods, along with water and stove.

DB

#237608 - 12/19/11 10:42 PM Re: Car Prep: food stash [Re: Dagny]
Crowe Offline
Journeyman

I wonder if it would be worthwhile to include a 12v hot pot or immersion heater, that way don't have to get out of the car to heat liquids.

#237614 - 12/20/11 12:48 AM Re: Car Prep: food stash [Re: Bingley]
chaosmagnet Online   content
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Bingley
It would be bad to get a reaction from the food in a survival situation.

An excellent point. A number of books mention that you should pack the food your family already eats, but they don't seem to emphasize the potential downside of not doing so sufficiently.

#237615 - 12/20/11 12:52 AM Re: Car Prep: food stash [Re: Dagny]
DaveT Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: NE Ohio
Bingley's got it on the soup...I never knew what it was until several years ago...now it seems to be on all the grocery store shelves. It's got meatballs, chicken, tiny round pasta, a thick chicken broth and spinach. My kids will all eat it, unlike a couple of the other things I'd thought they might. At one time I had stored canned stew, or Spaghettios, or chicken and dumplings...but when I test-drove the meals, there was always someone who wouldn't eat it.

So, Italian Wedding soup seems to please everyone, and it's a lot heartier than chicken noodle soup.

#237617 - 12/20/11 01:20 AM Re: Car Prep: food stash [Re: Dagny]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I do Clif bars, the Clif crunch and Clif Mojo are much more tasty than then traditional ones. Single serving bags of peanuts, mixed nuts, trail mix. Rasins seem to keep well too.
I'm trying to make a good variety of food that needs no cooking and keep it rotated through all the gear before I add in food that needs to be cooked.

#237618 - 12/20/11 01:36 AM Re: Car Prep: food stash [Re: Crowe]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Crowe
I wonder if it would be worthwhile to include a 12v hot pot or immersion heater, that way don't have to get out of the car to heat liquids.

I've thought of this, too. In fact, this is one of the reasons I bought an immersion heater. This does mean we are assuming the car is functional enough to power the heater. I think it's a good idea to have a backup, so that's why I'm looking at the camping stove thread carefully.

#237619 - 12/20/11 01:38 AM Re: Car Prep: food stash [Re: Eugene]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
The stuff I put away for emergencies are all items I have at least sampled before and that I find I can eat with gusto and pleasure. Life is tough enough without having to eat lousy food.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.