Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#236858 - 12/05/11 09:45 PM Re: GPS electronic compass [Re: ILBob]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Interesting - mine seems to be fairly consistent, both internally and with external sources. I would expect problems in deep canyons.

#236861 - 12/05/11 11:03 PM Re: GPS electronic compass [Re: ]
Outdoor_Quest Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Central Oregon
What model Garmin do you have?? Blake

#236862 - 12/05/11 11:06 PM Re: GPS electronic compass [Re: KenK]
Outdoor_Quest Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Central Oregon
Originally Posted By: KenK
I suspect that I'm one of the few folks you'll find here that actually PREFERS my GPS's to have electronic compasses. My reason is simple - this allows the GPS to continue to "point" to a waypoint even when I'm standing still.

Yes, I can use a magnetic compass, and carry one (or more) with me, and know well how to use it, but I tend to prefer tools that keep things as "automated" (simple) as possible so that if I'm tired or confused the arrow will be pointing in the correct direction, I can make proper decisions. Think of it something like the recommendation to be able to use gear one-handed - knife, light, PLB, ...

Yes, I know that a GPS can fail, or the batteries can go dead. I've had both happen to me. The former with a Garmin Nuvi while driving through a thunderstorm in the middle of an area in Detroit that I was completely unfamiliar with (uh oh), and the later while doing Geocaching with a group of Girl Scouts (its embarassing to borrow a few spare batteries from a Girl Scout - sigh). Typically I carry extra batteries, but in that case they were left at camp.

Then again, I'm also a person who will only accept adjustable declination on my magnetic compasses. A declination scale or doing the mental math is not something I want to do.

I rarely calibrate the compass in my Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx, and it points correctly. Heck, recalibrating it is a pretty simple matter - walk around in a little circle until it beeps - simpler than using a magnetic compass.

I'm not so sure that there is a power consumption concern with the electronic compass. A while back a few people on the geocaching.com forum did some direct power consumption measurements, and here are the results he posted (the power consumption for the electronic compass was negligable). The big power drain was the backlight - if used. The best way to minimize power consumption is to only turn it on the GPS when truely needed - as opposed to keeping it on to capture track information:

Garmin eTrex Vista HCx (fresh alkaline batteries)
69 mAmps - backlight off, WAAS off, electronic compass off
70 mAmps - WASS turned on
70 mAmps - WAAS on, electronic compass on
98 mAmps - GPS radio off
235 mAmps - backlight on

Garmin eTrex Venture Cx (rechargable batteries):
77.4 mA - GPS radio on, Backlight off
144 mA - GPS radio on, Backlight medium
220 mA - GPS radio on, Backlight high
48.6 mA - GPS radio off, Backlight off
108 mA - GPS radio off, Backlight medium
185 mA - GPS radio off, Backlight high
No difference WAAS on or off
From http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.p...p;#entry3123403

Great info, thank you, Blake

#236925 - 12/07/11 03:59 AM Re: GPS electronic compass [Re: Outdoor_Quest]
SARbound Offline
Addict

Loc: Quebec City, Canada
I never trust the reading of any electronic device compass. You'll run into calibration problems... plus they are not accurate at all in comparison with a real compass. The compass on my Casio dual-sensor watch is barely usable (you learn by experience sometimes).

Those are "nice to haves" and fun backups, but I would never use them more than to have a general idea of where i'm going (north, south, east or west).

There is nothing like a real, quality compass to get accurate readings. So like another person said, I would not pay a large amount to get an electronic compass on a GPS. Since you already have a Silva Ranger, I wouldn't bother getting a GPS with electronic compass.

For the record, I use a Victorinox DS-50 compass (similar to Silva Ranger) and a Garmin eTrex Legend HCx GPS receiver.

#236935 - 12/07/11 06:35 AM Re: GPS electronic compass [Re: SARbound]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Just bear in mind that even very accurate compasses can be influenced by odd bits of iron in the environment, everything from the screws in your eyeglasses to local iron ore in the ground you are covering. Once in Mexico our very good compass was off 45 degrees; we could tell because it was early morning and the North Star was still visible. Nothing is infallible.

#236963 - 12/07/11 05:57 PM Re: GPS electronic compass [Re: Outdoor_Quest]
chaosmagnet Online   content
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
The electronic compasses I've owned have been very accurate and reliable, with the exception of my first iPhone 4. The compass in that phone was off about 30 degrees consistently. I had it replaced due to a failing Home button, and the new one is very accurate and consistent.

It's awfully handy to have a compass in your GPS when you're standing still and orienting yourself. I would never have an electronic compass as my only compass though.

#236967 - 12/07/11 06:13 PM Re: GPS electronic compass [Re: chaosmagnet]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
I'm going to order a million Chinese button compasses with adhesive tape on the back and make a fortune selling "GPS Compass Upgrades".

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#236971 - 12/07/11 06:21 PM Re: GPS electronic compass [Re: Outdoor_Quest]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I'd prbably be more inclined to appreciate the electronic compass in my Geko 301 and GPSMAP 60CSx if Garmin designed it so that you could turn it on and off without running through a hierarchical menu. A toggle "menu" on the 60CSx compass page would be very useful. As it is I always leave it turned off.

#237085 - 12/09/11 10:40 AM Re: GPS electronic compass [Re: Russ]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: Russ
I'd prbably be more inclined to appreciate the electronic compass in my Geko 301 and GPSMAP 60CSx if Garmin designed it so that you could turn it on and off without running through a hierarchical menu. A toggle "menu" on the 60CSx compass page would be very useful. As it is I always leave it turned off.

They do ... and they even mark the buttons with a "compass" symbol to remind you which key toggles the electronic compass on & off. Hold the button down for about a second to toggle between compass on & compass off.

Garmin Geko 301 - Press and hold the PAGE button (the lower right button between the OK button and the Power button with a symbol that looks like two stacked pages) to toggle the compass on & off. There is a symbol to the lower right of the PAGE key (a large "N" with four cardinal arrows above, below, and to each side of the "N") to remind you which bottom toggles the electronic compass on & off.

Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx - Press and hold the PAGE button to toggle the compass on & off. There is a small symbol with four cardinal arrow pointing up, down, and to each side to remind you which button toggles the electronic compass on & off.

I don't have the Garmin Geko with me right now (I'm traveling in Germany), but on the 60CSx, holding the PAGE button down for about a second results in a display that says "Compass Turned On" or "Compass Turned Off". When you turn the compass on, the 60CSx automatically brings up the Compass Page. From there pressing the MENU key provides access to the Calibrate Compass option.

#237090 - 12/09/11 01:39 PM Re: GPS electronic compass [Re: KenK]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Thanks, crow always tastes better before breakfast wink

It's in the Garmin 60CSx .PDF Operators Manual and I tried it with the receiver. Hold the page button for ~2 sec and it moves you to the compass menu page and toggles the compass On/Off. Cool, Thanks. Don't know why I missed that.

BTW Garmin also recommended turning the compass off to conserve batteries, that's in the manual too.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (chaosmagnet, Jeanette_Isabelle), 282 Guests and 24 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.