Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#237401 - 12/15/11 07:41 AM Re: Best response to always get out of town? [Re: dweste]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
All interesting.

Perhaps another angle: In the "fog" of uncertainty about a looming disaster which is more likely an unsurvivable error, bugging in or bugging out?

#237407 - 12/15/11 02:15 PM Re: Best response to always get out of town? [Re: dweste]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: dweste
Perhaps another angle: In the "fog" of uncertainty about a looming disaster which is more likely an unsurvivable error, bugging in or bugging out?

If your bugout location is well-selected and clear of the disaster area, and if you leave early enough, I'd think that in general mistakenly bugging in would be more likely to result in avoidable death.

#237409 - 12/15/11 02:55 PM Re: Best response to always get out of town? [Re: chaosmagnet]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
If you leave early enough and get clear of the disaster area, the worst you have is an unplanned vacation.

If you don't leave early enough and get stuck in traffic on the road, you might not get clear of the disaster area. Then the question becomes would you have been better off at home or in a car, out of gas 50 miles up the highway.

#237411 - 12/15/11 04:01 PM Re: Best response to always get out of town? [Re: NightHiker]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: NightHiker
I'd be willing to bet that throughout history more people died while trying to "ride it out" at home than met with disaster while fleeing.

I think I'd agree with that. Just look at how many millions have evacuated for hurricanes. How many have died evacuating from a hurricane versus those who stayed behind? However, these evacuations come at great cost, too.

Actually, if we use the logic of avoiding deaths, we should mass evacuate people for heat waves when they pop up in unexpected areas (e.g. Chicago) or are extreme. Over the years, heat is the number one killer of people, not hurricanes.

#237412 - 12/15/11 04:21 PM Re: Best response to always get out of town? [Re: Arney]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Arney
Actually, if we use the logic of avoiding deaths, we should mass evacuate people for heat waves when they pop up in unexpected areas (e.g. Chicago) or are extreme. Over the years, heat is the number one killer of people, not hurricanes.

Right you are: http://io9.com/5803268/chart-reveals-what-natural-disaster-is-most-likely-to-kill-you-in-america . The most surprising thing I learned is that California is safer than the Midwest in terms of death from natural disasters.

Heat death is easily avoidable -- if you can afford air conditioning and you don't have to work outside. Evacuations for heat emergencies are (at least, in some areas) replaced with warnings and opening cooling centers.

#237416 - 12/15/11 05:44 PM Re: Best response to always get out of town? [Re: chaosmagnet]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
What a great reference! The attached article is well worth reading as well. It is interesting to note that most of the hazard types are weather related and are generally forecast well ahead of time, allowing one the opportunity to carry out whatever strategy would best serve them. As many have observed here, the better course of action depends upon many situational and unique variables.

The chart reinforces my decision to forsake the Midwest and go west many years ago.

Note what a minor role earthquakes play in generating mortalities. That is about the only natural hazard that is not specifically predictable.

#237423 - 12/15/11 11:09 PM Re: Best response to always get out of town? [Re: dweste]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
If there is a true SHTF type disaster, distance is indeed your best bet if you can manage it safely.

The problem is that it is difficult to know whether to go or not because there is just no way to know whether whatever warnings are being given by the authorities are meaningful.

At some point getting the heck out becomes dangerous in itself and it might be best to just hunker down.

I know that is not really an answer, but most of these kind of hypothetical questions don't have a real answer because the answer is highly dependent on circumstances that are unknown, and are often unknown when the decision to leave or stay has to be made.

Bob

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 533 Guests and 74 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.