Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#237192 - 12/11/11 12:40 AM gas can report
yee Offline

After the last storm, I reviewed my gasoline storage. To avoid buildup of dangerous gasoline fumes, I have been storing the cans OUTSIDE. I am still working on ways to keep the storage in the shade while still avoiding gasoline fume buildup.

I am using Scepter 5 gallon MFC jerry cans. In the event of a large scale power outage, no gasoline will be available for sale as gas stations need electricity to pump. My town is aware of the problem but has done absolutely nothing to make sure that gas stations can run off using portable generators.

One of the disadvantages of the military Specter MFC cans is that the spout is SEPARATE from the can. With most civilian cans, each can comes with its own spout. This raises a single point of failure, particularly since I have only one military spout. I am also at risk of simply losing the spout.

Due to California laws, good civilian gas cans are no longer available for sale. All cans are CARB compliant which means that the spout leaks, doesn't fill up gas tanks and are plain difficult to use.

Additional military spouts are not available for sale and I am unable to purchase sufficient numbers of Scepter MFC at a reasonable cost.

I purchased a civilian 5 gal Scepter gas can and found it difficult to figure out how to even USE the spout with several moving parts which are bound to fail. I replaced it with a similar spout which has no moving parts.

The upside is that the can now works. The downside is that it takes about 1min 48sec to empty a military Specter MFC can; it takes 4min 5sec to empty the civilian version. I did not experiment with the emptying time of the CARB compliant spout as it is likely to be even worse than the spout I tried (not to mention that I can't figure out the logistics of lifting a full 5 gallon gas can while manipulating the CARB compliant spout to work.) A huge advantage of the civilian Scepter cans is that I no longer have to rely on not loosing/breaking my single military spout.

The military can empties well even if you lift it upside down over the gas tank. Unfortunately, the civilian can can't be placed upside down without impairing its ability to fill a gas tank efficiently; horizontal placement is the best it can do.

Despite the limitations, will likely transition to the civilian Scepter gas cans and retire the military cans (keep them available, empty for emergencies only). I Will experiment with building a 12v fuel pump to see how it fares.

Conway Yee

(minor edit on bit about California by the Sheriff)

Edited by Blast (12/11/11 01:14 AM)

#237195 - 12/11/11 01:17 AM Re: gas can report [Re: yee]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Good post and welcome to the forum. The CARB compliant gas can/spouts are horrid. My solution to transferring gas from the can to my truck is to use a hand pump siphoning thingy I picked up at Northern Tools or Harbor Freight. It's not any faster but it's a lot less frustrating.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#237197 - 12/11/11 01:25 AM Re: gas can report [Re: yee]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Welcome Conway!

That 12v fuel pump... wouldn't that still produce enough of a spark to set off gasoline fumes?

Just wondering... If you find a safe way to do it, be sure to post!

Sue

#237201 - 12/11/11 01:53 AM Re: gas can report [Re: yee]
RayW Offline
Addict

Loc: Orlando, FL
I have some of the euro military cans and I use one of the Harbor Frieght shaker syphons. Works well, empties 5 gallons quickly and is cheap enough to have several spares.

Have also used one of these,

http://www.flofast.com/products.html

A little pricey but works well. And gives you the ability to pump into or out of your fuel container depending on the direction that you turn the handle. Makes it easy to drain the fuel tank on a generator to keep fresh fuel in it.

And welcome to the forum.

#237204 - 12/11/11 03:21 AM Re: gas can report [Re: yee]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
How about a large improvised funnel,custom made to fit your vehicle,possibly use a 1 gal plastic gas can with the bottom cut out.I think it would provide enough depth/width to contain the splashing that would occur,though I doubt it could be even slightly safe as per the fumes that would roll up into the face,allright back to the drawing board.Welcome to ETS-Conway!

#237206 - 12/11/11 04:14 AM Re: gas can report [Re: yee]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
if you are talking about refueling a generator tank, a 7' piece of 3/8" fuel line, and a squeeze bulb (will have a one way check valve) to prime the siphon line... attach to a double ended barb fitting with a short section of 1/4" or whatever your fuel inlet hose on the generator is...if you remove the barb, you have a 3/8" siphon rig to transfer fuel... not exceptionally fast, but doesn't spark

welcome....

#237216 - 12/11/11 06:17 AM Re: gas can report [Re: yee]
Mark_M Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
Jeggs sells some CARB-compliant spouts that actually work. Take a look at this page: http://bit.ly/sCxC4I

They also sell non-CARB spouts on the bottom of this page: http://bit.ly/vLgR8g.

#237220 - 12/11/11 01:06 PM Re: gas can report [Re: yee]
bigmbogo Offline
Journeyman

12 volt electric fuel pumps are common. Carter makes a good high-volume one for about $90, but it's still going to be slow compared to pouring. Maybe a gallon a minute or so.

I just use a regular siphon hose with a squeeze bulb. Some are cheap and crappy. I got one at Walmart, this one, I think: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Pennzoil-Siphon-Pump/16795103, and it works great. It was about $10.

David

#237223 - 12/11/11 06:06 PM Re: gas can report [Re: yee]
wileycoyote Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: north central west TX
my best cans to date have been the old civilian non-CARB 5 gal Scepter gas can.

even though they're still made in canada, and the maker says they are sold in the USA, i can't find them anywhere of course.

new ones look like this:

none of the newer CARB cans & spouts that i've tried are worth using, so when i have to transfer fuel from a modern can, i just use a large flex-neck funnel that has a big bowl and wire it to the top of the pick-up bed to hold it in place while i pour without any spout on the can. (and being a pick-up, i simply stand in the bed and lean over the side to pour. way easier than standing on the ground, trying to hold the can at chest level!)

in the past i have used the siphon systems (shaker or bulb-&-valve), but damn, they're incredibly slow.

fyi - i did find some older flexible "w/ breather-tube" spouts to replace broken spouts on my Scepter cans. and they work almost as fast as the plain-old hard-tube type that came with each can. but due to changes in dimensions (due to CARB regs???), they don't fit newer cans of any make.

#237227 - 12/11/11 07:51 PM Re: gas can report [Re: wileycoyote]
Mark_M Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
Originally Posted By: wileycoyote
fyi - i did find some older flexible "w/ breather-tube" spouts to replace broken spouts on my Scepter cans. and they work almost as fast as the plain-old hard-tube type that came with each can. but due to changes in dimensions (due to CARB regs???), they don't fit newer cans of any make.

Hmm, the non-CARB spout I have on my Blitz containers fit the newer containers that came with CARB spouts. Thank goodness, because those Jeggs containers are pricey.

#237228 - 12/11/11 08:17 PM Re: gas can report [Re: yee]
BigToe Offline
Journeyman

Wow, you really hit one of my sore points. I have some older gas cans left but they are becoming unserviceable. The newer cans (I guess that is CARB-compliant?) are complete crap. I assume the intent is to prevent spillage, but every CARB can I have spills gas everywhere if used as designed. I've done as suggested by others here with improvised funnels, and usually pour from the new cans into the old as I use the gas to prevent cursing. One of my applications is to fill my motorcycles and that is a complete nightmare with gas splashing all over the tanks. Again, if the intent of CARB is to prevent spillage and emissions it has accomplished exactly the opposite.

#237230 - 12/11/11 09:29 PM Re: gas can report [Re: yee]
Ian Offline

Loc: Scotland
I think I have mentioned it here before but why not use outboard motor tanks? I have used the flexible bag like tanks with great effect.

As a bonus you can rig your generator to take its supply direct from the tank so no transfer necessary.

#237236 - 12/11/11 11:05 PM Re: gas can report [Re: yee]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
Try a surplus store to see if they have any GI issue fuel nozzles. I can't say what we called em, something about a donkey richard?

Anyhow, they fit a bunch of 5 gal cans, little leakage, can be turned upside down, drain fast. They are aluminum or stainless, least they didn't rust, and could be angled even tho they are metal. All mil vehicles had at least one onboard as standard equipment.

#237237 - 12/11/11 11:18 PM Re: gas can report [Re: yee]
TimDex Offline
Journeyman

Loc: New York State
Do I understand correctly that you can get a nicely functional gas (or diesel) scepter can from a canadian store (because I live right on the border)? Like, one that actually pours the gas out?

If so, I'm going over the bridge next week. (Well, after Christmas maybe, all the Canadians are over here, buying turkeys, and clogging up the walmart, and the customs line when they go home).

Tim

#237240 - 12/12/11 01:01 AM Re: gas can report [Re: TimDex]
yee Offline

I purchased the CARB compliant Scepter gas cans due to the fact that more gas can be stored per square area of floor. The civilian cans have individual spouts (unlike the military counterpart) even though the civilian cans are less sturdy.

However (AND HERE IS THE IMPORTANT PART!!!), the NON-CARB compliant Scepter spouts that are still sold in Canada fits the CARB compliant Scepter cans well!!!

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/gas-can-spout/907423

The cap is the same. The only difference between the cap of the CARB compliant cap and the non-COMPLIANT cap has a cover of a different configuration to account for differences in the geometry of the CARB spout and it is of a different color!! The non-CARB spout will work with EITHER cover; the CARB spout is restricted to the cover that came with the can.

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/gas-can-accessory-3-parts/907422

Obviously, the vent cap on the accessory is worthless in the CARB-compliant can.

When a CARB can is purchased, all that needs to be replaced is the spout itself and you are good to go.

Conway Yee

Edited by yee (12/12/11 06:54 PM)

#237256 - 12/12/11 12:25 PM Re: gas can report [Re: yee]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Yeah, CARB really sucks. I've found that a hacksaw to that crazy bulb at the end of the spout works wonders. Theoretically, of course, but since I live in VA, I don't think CA laws apply.

Donkey dong (or another "D" word that is also a nickname for Richard) is a synonym for the GI funnels - runs about $20 on google searches. or use a super siphon (Bass pro and similar places carry them), about $5. Or check out DS tactical as they sell most accessories for the cans. As an FYI, the water cans still ship across the border. I don't know of anyone using them as gas cans, nor do I encourage it. The difference in handles (1 vs 3) aside, I don't know if the plastic is formulated the same.

I've had some luck w/ surplus stores. They don't often have the cans on display but if you ask around they might be able to pull out some.

#237260 - 12/12/11 02:44 PM Re: gas can report [Re: TimDex]
wileycoyote Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: TimDex
Do I understand correctly that you can get a nicely functional gas (or diesel) scepter can from a canadian store (because I live right on the border)? Like, one that actually pours the gas out?

If so, I'm going over the bridge next week. (Well, after Christmas maybe, all the Canadians are over here, buying turkeys, and clogging up the walmart, and the customs line when they go home).

Tim

tim,

this was the best that i can determine. info is slim.

my attempts to find any scepter here in the usa has been fruitless, even calling stores listed on scepter's website as "usa retailers" in the states.

but Conway Yee's spout info is incredibly helpful and kinda answers the question! thank you Yee!!!!! wahoo!!!!![/b]

===

#237319 - 12/13/11 05:13 AM Re: gas can report [Re: yee]
Grahund Offline
Stranger

Loc: San Francisco, CA, USA
As a California resident, I have a tiny amount of responsibility for the CARB requirements; as much as any other liberal voter in the state. I used to really hate CARB compliant gas cans. Two things changed my mind: the CARB white paper on the requirements and Justrite 7250120 and 7250130 gas cans.The 120 can has a 5/8" nozzle and the 130 a 1" nozzle. These are the best gas cans I have ever owned or used. CARB or not-CARB. They are not cheap, $65 from Amazon, but they are well worth it for being long lasting and easy to use. Not to mention a small contribution to improving the quality of the air we all breathe.

#237322 - 12/13/11 12:38 PM Re: gas can report [Re: Grahund]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Thanks for the references. I had no idea gas vapors could escape through the walls of plastic containers - how insidious!

#237333 - 12/13/11 04:00 PM Re: gas can report [Re: yee]
wileycoyote Offline
Enthusiast

those chinese-made Justrite cans look great, as do the american-made Eagle cans i discovered reading the Justrite reviews.

Eagle Brand 5 Gallon Gas Can

only problem is the cost of having a half dozen of these steel cans (around the ranch, that's barely enough).

i found this helpful info about spout sizes, posted by one reviewer:

Justrite makes these cans with a 1" or 5/8" outside-diameter pour hose:

- a 5/8" hose will fit any vehicle fuel port, whether gasoline or diesel.
- a 1" hose won't fit a vehicle gasoline fuel port, but will fit a diesel fuel port.
- a 1" hose pours about twice as fast as a 5/8" hose; about one minute per gallon with the 5/8" hose.

Amazon also sells the Justrite 11077 1" Hose, in case you want to switch between it and the 5/8" size. (Emptying 5 gallons with a 5/8" hose takes a long time.) Search Amazon on: Justrite 11077

#237472 - 12/16/11 09:59 PM Re: gas can report [Re: yee]
Grahund Offline
Stranger

Loc: San Francisco, CA, USA
The Eagle Brand cans do look nice and I prefer to Buy American and Buy Union when I can. I just haven't used the Eagle cans so I can't recommend them. If my Justrite ever wears out I'll try an Eagle if they are still American made.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 242 Guests and 82 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.