Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Now that's a hiking staff, bsmith! smile

#237120 - 12/09/11 07:39 PM Re: Hiking Staffs [Re: hikermor]
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida
Like others here I have used a hiking staff (NOT poles) for more years than I want to count. I have used all sorts of them, wood, bamboo, metal, fiberglass, etc. I carry them while hiking, hunting, and working in the field. I use it for stability, to set up my pack as a rest (see The Complete Walker), for photography (as a length marker), as a jacob staff for precise compass work and as a monopod for my camera. Plus probably a hundred other things. One of those don't leave home without it tools.

My preference is for wood but I do have an aluminum one (a custom Crawford Survival Staff, without all the extras (like the knife). that I like very much because it will collapse (22 inches max) and go in my luggage for trips and where I might need to pack it up (climbing, etc.). It is much easier to carry in the car as well. It is a superb tool and finds use more often than most because of travel restrictions.

My all time favorite is a hickory one made from a tree from the Andrew Jackson (Ole' Hickory) estate. It is a little short (I like a 6 foot staff, this one is only 5), but I have used it for almost 30 years. I recently replaced the old crutch tip foot with a stainless steel spike/rubber foot from Lee Valley woodworking. I had colored tape on it for measuring and as a reference in photographs, but as I refinish it I am going to change that to different color wood stains.

My martial arts staff is a 6 foot chunk of Ipae made for me by my son. Although I have used it a few times, it is a little heavy for most field use (although it would be VERY hard to break.

I don't like poles (although my wife does) because they take two hands (Have to set one down to do anything and hard to use as a support for shooting) and are not instantly adjustable for length as Denis noted.

For around town, I carry a cane by Canemasters - provides lots of the same assistance and does not look so out of place (old grey guys are often seen with canes).

Respectfully,

Jerry

#237125 - 12/09/11 08:38 PM Re: Hiking Staffs [Re: hikermor]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

BSmith's gets my vote - love it!

Now need to find some wax wood....

#237129 - 12/09/11 09:40 PM Re: Hiking Staffs [Re: hikermor]
moab Offline

Loc: England
During a trek down the Pariah Canyon a few years ago with my missus, we took some Leki poles and found them to be very useful for supporting the weight we were carrying. The flash flood that took everyone (including Rangers/some local hikers) by surprise brought the poles into their own, especially when navigating post flood and avoiding (mostly) the settling silt which acted like quicksand. The very deep hole that I wondered in to and spent some very long seconds finding my way back to the surface also wrecked the poles. The fine silt worked it's way into the spring mechanism and I was never able to get them to work again, although I never threw them out as they are a reminder of that eventful trip.

#237130 - 12/09/11 09:49 PM Re: Hiking Staffs [Re: Arney]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca
Originally Posted By: Arney
Now that's a hiking staff, bsmith! smile

thanks! it was a work in progress for a while but i'm very happy with it now.

#237132 - 12/09/11 09:51 PM Re: Hiking Staffs [Re: bacpacjac]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
LOVE the pink flamingo!

thanks, i did too.
it broke its legs in transportation and i had to retire him. i have a rooster up there now until i can find another 'pinky'.

i might mention that fellow hikers have recognized the staff many, many miles from home. not me, the staff.

#237134 - 12/09/11 09:55 PM Re: Hiking Staffs [Re: Dagny]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Originally Posted By: Dagny

BSmith's gets my vote - love it!

Now need to find some wax wood....

thanks!

you can find for purchase online, just search wax wood staff. about $20.00.

or, try martial arts supply stores near your home. they are known as a "bo". if you can see in person before purchasing, you avoid the possible 'not straight' issue.

#237135 - 12/09/11 09:57 PM Re: Hiking Staffs [Re: NightHiker]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Originally Posted By: NightHiker
I like trekking poles. They're a) lightweight; b) collapsible and adjustable which makes them easy to carry when not in use, adaptable for hiking on slopes & well suited for use as a splint; b)you can change out the basket/tips for summer & winter terrain; and c) the better ones are shock absorbing which actually does make a difference on long treks.

totally agree.

and that's why i changed over to trekking poles for some of the hikes.

#237136 - 12/09/11 10:23 PM Re: Hiking Staffs [Re: bacpacjac]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
My usual choice is something temporarily foraged from the bush, but in fall and winter that can be diificult because of the rain and snow.

Around here at least, I've found decent staffs are pretty easy to find along maintained trails & camp-sites. You get the little saplings that grow for a little while and then get cut down as they start encroaching on the trail / site.

Personally, I found one I liked and held on to it instead of trying to forage for one every time I wanted to use one. I've had the same one for quite a while now, but its not really finished or anything. I just found one I liked and cleaned it up (took the branches & bark off, cleanly sawed the ends). One good thing is if you decide the one you picked doesn't quite work for you can just grab a different one and not really be out anything but a little time. The same holds for if/when you loose or wreck it somehow.

#237143 - 12/09/11 11:27 PM Re: Hiking Staffs [Re: Denis]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
My favorite for a long time was one I found along the trail - a nicely ergonomic handle and just the right height. Another foundling was the mop handle I found on the beach at San Miguel Island. I really needed that one - I had banged up my wrist a few days earlier, the trails were wet and slippery, and I really could not chance a slip and fall.

One thing to be said about the adjustable hitech poles - their smaller diameter makes a significant difference when fording fast flowing streams. They are definitely easier to maneuver and place. The other situation where any stick, any stick at all, really shines is in rattlesnake country. I just whisper the famous Indiana Jones line - "It looks dangerous, you go first" - and away we go, my stick leading the way.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 561 Guests and 168 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.