Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#237030 - 12/08/11 05:27 PM Re: Cold Weather Tips for Gas Stoves [Re: Hikin_Jim]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
i've posted this shot a couple times.before i head out on the canoe trips i spend the first night in a drive-in camp near the landing.to avoid having the hassle of re-packing in the AM i take a second set of cooking and tenting gear.a "odd ball" stove that i can get some photos to post is always a fun choice.
Ok..the cold weather hot water tip.on a very chilly June evening this Gaz stove would just not put out a decent flame,the water in the pot was just on the edge of warm but would not come to a boil.i spooned out the sort of warm water into the plastic cart holder and the burner started into a nice roar,and here is the kicker..it stayed that way thru the entire meal prep!the heat coming off the burner and the bottom of the pot was enough to keep the process going.i could have put a wind screen of some sort around it but i was just boiling water to heat up a can with stew in it.so i would say if you can get the burner going full blast it will stay that way in "normal"camping places,no ice bound ledges at -40..

#237031 - 12/08/11 05:30 PM Re: Cold Weather Tips for Gas Stoves [Re: bws48]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
You certainly could, but it is unnecessary, as long as you have liquid water in the container.

I, too appreciate my 123, a companion on many trips over more than a few decades. It has now earned an honorable retirement sitting on a shelf above my desk, while my lighter, hotter Pocket Rocket goes out on trips these days. I guess I have always been attracted to hotter items..

#237034 - 12/08/11 06:17 PM Re: Cold Weather Tips for Gas Stoves [Re: bws48]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: bws48
If you are, say, trying to boil water, and you have the butter tub or another container holding water around the gas canister, wouldn't it be smart to add some of the heated/heating water from the pot to the tub to warm up the gas canister while you are trying to get the water to actually boil?
Exactly. You are therefore transferring heat indirectly from the stove to gas canister. This has the same effect as wrapping a copper wire around the canister and running one end of the wire into the flame, BUT the water is much safer since the "connection" is indirect and under your control. Heat transfer with the water method only happens when you do something. With a copper wire, that heat goes into the canister continuously. You don't control it; you can only react to it.

HJ

#237035 - 12/08/11 06:20 PM Re: Cold Weather Tips for Gas Stoves [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: CANOEDOGS

Nice trick. smile

Which stove is that? It looks like a GT106 with modified bails, yes?

HJ

#237036 - 12/08/11 06:23 PM Re: Cold Weather Tips for Gas Stoves [Re: hikermor]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: hikermor
You certainly could, but it is unnecessary, as long as you have liquid water in the container.
Good point. Yes, you can transfer heat to the canister via some of the water you're heating, but there's no need to unless your flame is weak. As long as you've got a good flame, don't mess with it.

Originally Posted By: hikermor
I guess I have always been attracted to hotter items..
I can't say things like that. My wife would slap me. wink

HJ

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 530 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Today at 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Yesterday at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.