Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#236878 - 12/06/11 04:32 AM Re: Another guy narrowly misses the Darwin Award [Re: Phaedrus]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
The only stuff he had was in the cab of the truck. The main reason he used it as insulation was because he couldn't eat it, I suspect.

"Paper towels... paper towels... I wonder what I could use these for?"

Sue

#236883 - 12/06/11 07:59 AM Re: Another guy narrowly misses the Darwin Award [Re: Phaedrus]
Phaedrus Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Yeah, once he realized he's "stepped in it" he was smart and resourceful. Run the engine briefly, bundle up with everything you can find, etc. But it's simply amazing to me that a person thinks to themself, hmmm...think I'm gonna drive off and see how far that road goes without any gear! Especially since he says he usually carries some.

That does make me want to dig thru what I keep in my truck. Normally it's just driving to work or school (in town) but when I travel I like to be really prepared, especially in the winter. I don't like to leave town during the winter months without a good sleeping bag for starters.

#236885 - 12/06/11 09:15 AM Re: Another guy narrowly misses the Darwin Award [Re: Phaedrus]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

If you go through chats of EDC minded people or preppers, you sometimes see a swinging trend between heavily prepared, and the bare minimum load. I have gone through that at times. And it seems that Murphy awaits you in those lean times when you don't have much on you.

I think that caching is one way to have the best of the two worlds. You carry less on you, but you are not very far from more gear.

In this case, the pickup should have contained one of his caches. A fixed project box, or whatever you may call it, would have easily contained a sleeping bag , warm clothes, and a week supply of food and water. This is not to say that wandering like he did was smart, but at least it would have made his adventure less stressful.

OTOH, I should admit that I did what he did when I was young and foolish, but I was lucky not to get stuck. In those adventures, I only had some tea,coffee, and little water, and never told anyone where I was going. I was just looking for quiet spaces to be alone.

Even the car wasn't 4x4, it was an underpowered sedan !
Now, I know how lucky I was.

#236906 - 12/06/11 08:57 PM Re: Another guy narrowly misses the Darwin Award [Re: Phaedrus]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

Thank you for posting this, Phaedrus. It's another reminder that even a modest rucksack of gear could have made an enormous difference in his comfort level and safety.

And, ditto Susan on the dogs -- I'm glad they didn't suffer along with him.

#236930 - 12/07/11 05:41 AM Re: Another guy narrowly misses the Darwin Award [Re: Phaedrus]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
What I find kind of irritating about the decisions people make is that they actually knew better, but went ahead and did the dumb thing anyway. And not just the little things, but actual life-threatening situations.

Kids and pets are often victims of this kind of here today/gone tomorrow thought processes. Like leaving them in closed cars, driving drunk, answering the phone in another room with a baby in the bathtub, going hiking with practically nothing and getting lost or caught by weather, not keeping the poorly-trained dog on a leash, etc, etc, etc.

Sue

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Ren), 553 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.