Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#236721 - 12/02/11 03:51 PM New stove coming...what do you think?
Andy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: SE PA
I received an email from a company promoting a self-powered forced air wood burning camp stove. Seems an interesting alternative to liguid or gas stoves. I wonder though how it would be viewed in wilderness areas where open campfires are prohibited.

Be interested in the camping stove experts' opinion on this one.

#236722 - 12/02/11 04:07 PM Re: New stove coming...what do you think? [Re: Andy]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Most likely it would be prohibited. That may vary with the area. Key would be whether sparks and ash can escape from the stove.

If the company making this product is on the ball, they would settle this issue with the Forest Service, Park Service, and BLM, and let you know.

#236725 - 12/02/11 05:05 PM Re: New stove coming...what do you think? [Re: Andy]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

i was about to say it's just another Zip Stove until i read it makes the power to charge LED lights and such.
the fan powered wood stove issue comes up on the canoeing site and if i recall it's seen as a open fire and not allowed.

#236730 - 12/02/11 05:55 PM Re: New stove coming...what do you think? [Re: CANOEDOGS]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Just looked at the specifications - at more than 2 pounds, it is way too heavy for any backpacking use. Of course, it is probably perfect for paddling - now Canoe Dogs can have three stoves!

#236738 - 12/02/11 07:34 PM Re: New stove coming...what do you think? [Re: Andy]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
While I love the idea of a small, lightweight wood burning stove (as hikermor mentioned, this one might be a bit too beefy), our provincial parks prohibit the burning of deadwood so they have a limited application for where I am.

#236782 - 12/03/11 09:54 PM Re: New stove coming...what do you think? [Re: Denis]
Nomad Offline
Addict

Loc: Just wandering around.
The criteria for a fire using device is that it can be turned off with a knob or similar control. Most wood burning, charcoal etc do not meet that requirement.

At least that is how it was explained to me when we volunteered in a National Forest as camp hosts.

Nomad

#236788 - 12/04/11 01:20 AM Re: New stove coming...what do you think? [Re: Nomad]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Interesting point. So most alcohol stoves would be banned?

#236798 - 12/04/11 06:09 AM Re: New stove coming...what do you think? [Re: hikermor]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: hikermor
Interesting point. So most alcohol stoves would be banned?
Yes, that's my understanding from the guys at Angeles National Forest (near me).

Alcohol stoves are banned except in developed campgrounds. Also hexamine (ESBIT) and trioxane stoves. If it doesn't have an "off" setting, it's banned.

Now, why they would ban an alcohol stove while still allowing a white gas stove is beyond me. I was at Hoegees camp in the Angeles National Forest last weekend when a Boy Scout put too much white gas into the priming cup when firing up his Whisperlite. Gas and flames all over the place, not just at the stove. Fortunately it was a developed site, so not much to burn and it had rained earlier in the day.

If they really want to cut fire danger, then they should restrict things to gas stoves or at least require non-priming stoves like a Coleman 400.

HJ

#236843 - 12/05/11 05:09 AM Re: New stove coming...what do you think? [Re: Andy]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: Andy
I received an email from a company promoting a self-powered forced air wood burning camp stove. Seems an interesting alternative to liguid or gas stoves. I wonder though how it would be viewed in wilderness areas where open campfires are prohibited.

Be interested in the camping stove experts' opinion on this one.

I spotted the Biolite stove a couple of years ago. At the time they were talking about coming out in 2010. Looks like 2010 has become 2012, but maybe that's a good thing. The problem, or so I am told, with thermoelectric generators (TEG's) is that they're a bit frail. The question I've heard asked is "how will they hold up out on the trail?" Hopefully, with two years now of additional development, they've got the bugs out. It certainly is an interesting idea, although as noted, with limited application in areas with fire restrictions.

Wood stoves seem to be really popular on the US East Coast.

HJ

#236844 - 12/05/11 07:11 AM Re: New stove coming...what do you think? [Re: Hikin_Jim]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Hikin Jim,

Have you looked at the Kifaru stoves? Haven't used one myself, but I've heard good things about them. They are made to go with their shelters.

http://www.kifaru.net/stoves.html

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.