Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#236559 - 11/30/11 04:01 AM Re: Surviving a third world trip with kids [Re: Jesselp]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Take about 30-1$ bills & band them up in 5's-for Mordidas(for danny's comrades),Don't eat the cheese with the worms in it,I forgot what it's called,just don't eat it!If you can find one,Bigo Burgers are equal to Fatburgers,of which are Very Good!Xmas time-tengo cuidado por Tamales de la calle,pero casera es mas mejor!Don't buy any drinks,ie. Horchata,Tamarindo,etc. that come in Plastic bags!Bring a pack or two of Sherman non-filter cigarettes,& pass them out to the older folks there,they have the Best info for anything&Everything!Hubba-Bubba bubblegum works real well with the kids,Mini-Bic lighters are prized,especially in the bush!Alot of good bushcraft info can be had from the mestizos for the small gesture of a Sherman & mini-bic.Unless it's smoked/dried,don't eat any fish smaller than your hand.Watch out for the Fire Ants/Sand Fleas,the kids especially!Beware of the Box Jellyfish at the beach,in/out of the water,Say ola to Danny & His Comrades!

#236574 - 11/30/11 05:55 AM Re: Surviving a third world trip with kids [Re: Richlacal]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Richlacal
Don't eat the cheese with the worms in it,I forgot what it's called

It's called casu marzu. I like exotic foods, but this one seems too much. I'll give you a nickel if you'd eat it!

DB

#236578 - 11/30/11 06:41 AM Re: Surviving a third world trip with kids [Re: Jesselp]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
+1 on the dollar bills (American).

If you're approached by kids offering to watch your car, pick one of them to do it. Think of it as a one-dollar parking fee.

My long-gone uncle spent a lot of time in Mexico, and he said that if you pay one kid a quarter (1960s) to watch your car, usually no one will bother it. Even if 18-yr-olds are standing around with wrenches in their hands, they leave your car alone, because one of their people (even a kid) is making money on the deal.

Even when the going price was a quarter, my uncle would pay $1. He said he saw enough cars with wheels and other parts missing to think it was cheap insurance!

Cheese with worms... you eat it with the liquor with the worm in it?

Sue

#236581 - 11/30/11 07:16 AM Re: Surviving a third world trip with kids [Re: Susan]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Susan
Cheese with worms... you eat it with the liquor with the worm in it?

From Wikipedia's entry on casu marzu:

Quote:
Casu marzu is considered to be unsafe to eat by Sardinian aficionados when the maggots in the cheese have died. Because of this, only cheese in which the maggots are still alive is usually eaten, although allowances are made for cheese that has been refrigerated, which can kill the maggots. When the cheese has fermented enough, it is often cut into thin strips and spread on moistened Sardinian flatbread (pane carasau), to be served with a strong red wine.[3][5] Casu marzu is believed to be an aphrodisiac by local Sardinians.[6] Because the larvae in the cheese can launch themselves for distances up to 15 centimetres (6 in) when disturbed,[1][7] diners hold their hands above the sandwich to prevent the maggots from leaping. Those who do not wish to eat live maggots place the cheese in a sealed paper bag. The maggots, starved for oxygen, writhe and jump in the bag, creating a "pitter-patter" sound. When the sounds subside, the maggots are dead and the cheese can be eaten.[8]

#236586 - 11/30/11 12:44 PM Re: Surviving a third world trip with kids [Re: Jesselp]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
Sounds like a lot of good advice.

But your best source of information is your cousin.
She/he is will have up to date info and advice, and may know others who can help.
General advice is good; advice from someone on the ground is invaluable.

Good luck and have a safe trip.

#236597 - 11/30/11 04:56 PM Re: Surviving a third world trip with kids [Re: Jesselp]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
A lot of good advice in this thread.

I would definitely go to my doctor and ask for prescriptions for antibiotics to have on hand. OTC meds are also a must, especially for gastrointestinal discomfort.

If you don't have an American Express card, get one. If you do, make sure you know how to reach them if you get in a jam. Unlike the US Embassy or Consulate, they are a travel agency and so on. American Express Global Assist can help you solve problems. When I was in Paris (before smartphones and the Internet), I broke my glasses and called them. Within a few minutes they called back giving me the locations of nearby opticians who were open, spoke English and had one-hour service.

While you might not be able to pass as a native, try to blend in and not look like tourists. The more you stand out the more likely you are to be targeted for theft or robbery.

If you EDC a knife or a multitool make very sure that you're following local law.

Look into what it might cost if you accidentally or deliberately use your cellphone for voice, text or data while abroad. You may want to get a local SIM or a local cellphone while you're there.

#236601 - 11/30/11 05:30 PM Re: Surviving a third world trip with kids [Re: chaosmagnet]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet

If you don't have an American Express card, get one. If you do, make sure you know how to reach them if you get in a jam.

Unless you regularly use it out of country, call them before you go to let them know. It'll speed things up if you try to use while away, especially on something that's out of the orindary expensive.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#236641 - 12/01/11 12:07 AM Re: Surviving a third world trip with kids [Re: Jesselp]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Teach your kids how to go potty into bags and into holes dug in the ground. Thanks to that skill we had a much easier time touring China with a 4-yr old than any of the other parents on the trip!

-Blast, serious.
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 273 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by rafowell
Yesterday at 09:10 PM
Hoover Stew
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 03:03 AM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/23/24 06:24 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.