Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#236460 - 11/29/11 06:23 PM Flasher/ strobe to help you get found
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I've seen strobes for lifejackets, but would a tiny bike type flasher (or your headlamp set on strobe) be a good way for searchers to find you?

#236465 - 11/29/11 06:38 PM Re: Flasher/ strobe to help you get found [Re: TeacherRO]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
A good high-end flashlight with a strobe or SOS mode could be very helpful here.

#236466 - 11/29/11 06:39 PM Re: Flasher/ strobe to help you get found [Re: TeacherRO]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: TeacherRO
...would a tiny bike type flasher (or your headlamp set on strobe) be a good way for searchers to find you?

Are we talking on the open ocean? Or do you mean hiking?

If you want to get the LED bike light, be sure to compare what you get with other brands. Some cheap no-name rear bike lights I have are noticeably less bright than name brand ones, like Cateye.

#236468 - 11/29/11 06:44 PM Re: Flasher/ strobe to help you get found [Re: Arney]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
In a land situation, almost any kind of light will be picked up by searchers, or almost anything else out of the ordinary, for that matter. That applies to people who are out looking for a potential victim. The SOS or strobe might be slightly better to alert passersby that someone is in trouble. Those are two very different situations.

#236474 - 11/29/11 07:27 PM Re: Flasher/ strobe to help you get found [Re: TeacherRO]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
This is just my assumption, but I would think a blinking light could attract attention in situations where a steady light source may be missed.

The situation I'm thinking of is being lost or hurt in fairly thick woods on a night when the sky is clear and the moon is out. If I have a steady light on, the light I'm casting might not be enough to catch someone's eye, especially since it seems likely the light source may not come directly into the searcher's line of site. On the other hand, a blinking light, even the source is not directly observed, should stand out as being quite unnatural.

I'm just thinking of the lights I normally use, and they really aren't that bright so if the night isn't that dark I don't think the light they'd throw would be that noticeable from far away. That's just my guess though.

#236477 - 11/29/11 07:47 PM Re: Flasher/ strobe to help you get found [Re: Denis]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
One great advantage of a blinking light is that it will run longer on a given battery than a steady light, thus improving your chances of being detected considerably.

Actually, my experience has been that initial contact is typically made by voice or sound, rather than directly by light. This has been in mountainous terrain, primarily. But if you are shining a light in a high spot, your light may well be seen by another search party at a distance, who would then alert the group closest to you. Making as much noise/light/commotion as possible is always a good thing.

#236497 - 11/29/11 09:39 PM Re: Flasher/ strobe to help you get found [Re: TeacherRO]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

There must be some scientific studies on this. I did a quick Google but didn't find any. My assumption is that blinking lights are more effective than solid light for getting attention which would explain why police lights flash and hazard lights atop tall structures like the Washington Monument and cell towers, blink.

Going to be hard for search planes to see the lights if you are in a forest. I'd be hesitant to burn the batteries unless I heard searchers nearby. Would rather have a campfire for warmth and signaling.

Hikermor's observation that a battery-powered light in strobe mode would last longer is bonus.

I routinely carry in my pack a Petzl e+lite and Petzl Zipka Plus - both strobe. The latter strobes in red and white (not sure if the e+lite strobes red). I also carry a strobe in my car and two LED road flares, which are quite bright and are slated to run for 50 hours.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/65534?feat=9519-GN2

On my bikes I'm partial to Planet Bike lights - front and back.

#236499 - 11/29/11 09:44 PM Re: Flasher/ strobe to help you get found [Re: TeacherRO]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Marine Suppliers carry a small red colored flashing lights that will attach via a small key ring to a life jacket. The flashing rate can be adjusted so that individuals (new hands/old hands) can be identified while they are working at night, by the flashing rate of their lights.

#236505 - 11/29/11 10:21 PM Re: Flasher/ strobe to help you get found [Re: chaosmagnet]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
A good high-end flashlight with a strobe or SOS mode could be very helpful here.

That's what I was thinking too. A true multi-use tool. There are many quality ones on the market, using a variety of battery types.

#236516 - 11/29/11 10:52 PM Re: Flasher/ strobe to help you get found [Re: TeacherRO]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I clip one to each pack. I figure it;s very little weight and can't hurt. I too think that it might be more attention getting that a constant light, there's no effort involved and the batteries should last a while.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (M_a_x), 517 Guests and 59 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
49 minutes 55 seconds ago
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Yesterday at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.