Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#236312 - 11/26/11 03:11 AM Re: Dad, do we have a fire extinguisher? [Re: bacpacjac]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
The revised housing code in our area requires each home to have a 10lb ABC rated fire extinguisher, regardless of how many smaller units you have.

After hearing about the change, I decided it was a good time to update myself to code. So I bought a 10lb unit which I mounted out in the garage. I also took the opportunity to replace the 2.5lb units that were in the kitchen, furnace room, and laundry room since they were going on 15 years old.

The only two I haven't gotten around to replacing are the ones in our cars. They're fairly new though, so I'm not really worried about 'em.

#236313 - 11/26/11 03:58 AM Re: Dad, do we have a fire extinguisher? [Re: Craig_Thompson]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
You know,I have to...Sounds like your Goose was almost cooked!lol!,OK,OK,I am glad to hear you came thru it,Almost unscathed! Buckets of free-flowing dry sand or Boxes of Baking Soda can put down grease flames rather quickly by it's smothering effect,Cheap,Always Available,Stores readily for years on end! Cheers! smile

#236315 - 11/26/11 04:09 AM Re: Dad, do we have a fire extinguisher? [Re: Craig_Thompson]
Mark_M Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
Chemical fire extinguishers are good to have handy, but make a god-awful mess. Having worked many years in restaurants, I've learned that most fires can simply be smothered by placing a larger pan, inverted, over the fire, or by using baking soda or salt.

Recently I bought a few of those small, inexpensive aerosol cans of fire extinguisher. Reviews on them were not stellar, so I tested one on a campfire during a recent outing. I was very satisfied with the result. The cans put out a well-directed stream of chemical foam that quickly extinguished a very hot burning, medium-size campfire. The foam clung to the wood and kept it from flaring up again. If this had been a kitchen fire there would have been no cleanup necessary of any surrounding areas.

I won't be replacing my chemical extinguishers but will add some more of these small foam units in the future.

#236355 - 11/27/11 03:50 AM Re: Dad, do we have a fire extinguisher? [Re: Craig_Thompson]
roberttheiii Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Connecticut, USA
Great post. I recently added a fire extinguisher to my car, not so much for a car fire, but more just to have another one around. Thanks for the reminder.

R

#236368 - 11/27/11 07:35 PM Re: Dad, do we have a fire extinguisher? [Re: Craig_Thompson]
Craig_Thompson Offline
Journeyman

Loc: SE PA United States
Thanks for all the responses.

Rich, I am glad someone finally said it: and yes, my goose was cooked. Almost really REALLY cooked. I was lucky.

I bought 4 new extinguishers, (3) 1xABC (gave one to the neighbor since she used hers) and (1) 3x for the garage.

I have looked all through the house and still cannot find the big one!

As I was processing this event it occurred to me that I always carry a bandana and it would have only taken a second to pull it out and put in on top of my hand as I reached in to turn off the propane tank valve, protecting my hand form dripping fat. The burns will heal ok but had this been a bug out condition, this type of burn not properly cared for could be a serious problem.

Craig T.

#236548 - 11/30/11 02:10 AM Re: Dad, do we have a fire extinguisher? [Re: Craig_Thompson]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
It think it's called 'Goose Flambé', but the chef often uses a lemon, orange or brandy sauce, rather than a chemical-rich type of coating...

I've always wondered what 'Adventure in Dining' meant. Thanks for the description!

I had to work in the roasting of the turkey between a long run and some sleep. I set the alarm clock time, but forgot to press the SET thing. The turkey was a little overdone when I blearily checked it, but the dogs didn't mind at all. A little kibble over turkey meat beats a little turkey meat over kibble, they said.

But it hadn't advanced to flames yet, and nobody got burned. Didn't even set off the smoke alarm... for once!

Now, where does cooking a goose rate in the actuarial odds? Is it in the top half or the bottom half?

I didn't hear about any turkey fryer episodes around here, either. I think the cop's son down the street laid a solid foundation for educational finger-pointing on that. At least, enough for most young men who were contemplating it to realize that you don't FILL the fryer with oil and then drop in a 30-lb turkey from a height...

Sue

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 370 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.