Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#236427 - 11/29/11 03:41 AM Emergency Air on Airplanes
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
It seems that commercial airline
are removing emergency oxygen from washrooms for fear of it being used as an explosive device. Another reason not to fly or just a reason not to use the washrooms in-flight?

Edited by bacpacjac (11/29/11 03:45 AM)
Edit Reason: duplicate post

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#236428 - 11/29/11 03:46 AM Re: Emergency Air on Airplanes [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#236429 - 11/29/11 04:46 AM Re: Emergency Air on Airplanes [Re: bacpacjac]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
It seems that commercial airline
are removing emergency oxygen from washrooms for fear of it being used as an explosive device. Another reason not to fly or just a reason not to use the washrooms in-flight?

I always hold my breath anyway. So it doesn't bother me!

Maybe someone can tell us: how quickly do we lose consciousness or becoming debilitated if the cabin loses air pressure? In other words, in an emergency will you have time to finish up & run back to your seat?

DB

#236433 - 11/29/11 05:49 AM Re: Emergency Air on Airplanes [Re: Bingley]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: Bingley
In other words, in an emergency will you have time to finish up & run back to your seat?

In the event of sudden, catastrophic decompression at 35,000 feet, you'll have a half minute to one minute of useful conciousness. Plus factor in all the mayhem in the cabin and the stress. The pilot will be executing an emergency descent to a lower altitude so it may be hard to even stand on your feet.

Flights tend to be quite crowded these days, but I think your best bet would be to find an extra mask as close to the lavatory as possible. Obviously, any free mask and seat will probably be a middle seat. wink

#236443 - 11/29/11 10:12 AM Re: Emergency Air on Airplanes [Re: Arney]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By: Arney

In the event of sudden, catastrophic decompression at 35,000 feet, you'll have a half minute to one minute of useful conciousness. Plus factor in all the mayhem in the cabin and the stress.

Hmmm... how much of that time would be used just to realize that SOMETHING is happening, come to terms with the situation and decide that the right action is to go get an oxygen mask?

If you pass out - will you simply regain consciousness as soon as conditions have stabilized after the emergency descent? I would think so (and hope so!).

Hopefully you've not been tossed about too bad in the lavatory when the pilots made the dive from high altitude.

#236446 - 11/29/11 02:12 PM Re: Emergency Air on Airplanes [Re: MostlyHarmless]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: MostlyHarmless

In the event of sudden, catastrophic decompression at 35,000 feet, you'll have a half minute to one minute of useful conciousness. Plus factor in all the mayhem in the cabin and the stress.

Hmmm... how much of that time would be used just to realize that SOMETHING is happening, come to terms with the situation and decide that the right action is to go get an oxygen mask?

If you pass out - will you simply regain consciousness as soon as conditions have stabilized after the emergency descent? I would think so (and hope so!).

Hopefully you've not been tossed about too bad in the lavatory when the pilots made the dive from high altitude.

The pilots have quick-donning oxygen gear so they should be good. They practice this.

If it's truly sudden, massive decompression (why did this happen?) I think the maneuver is to roll the plane on its side and unload the wings into something like a sideways 0 g condition.
This drops the plane quickly and doesn't build up airspeed like a dive would. It's an acrobatic kind of maneuver because the emergency is very serious. Of course if there's doubt about structural integrity after the decomp then a less radical maneuver is done. So you'll be unconscious longer.

You aren't going to be returning to your seat easily during this maneuver.

Hopefully you didn't fly with a cold because your sinuses would likely be damaged in the event as well.

#236463 - 11/29/11 06:35 PM Re: Emergency Air on Airplanes [Re: unimogbert]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: unimogbert
...I think the maneuver is to roll the plane on its side and unload the wings into something like a sideways 0 g condition. This drops the plane quickly and doesn't build up airspeed like a dive would.

Wow, I've never heard of a commercial airliner pulling a manuever like that. What is it called?

By 0g, I assume it would be like riding NASA's "Vomit Comet" training aircraft that simulates 0g? Nothing better than tasting the same airline meal "twice" on a long flight! wink

#236472 - 11/29/11 06:57 PM Re: Emergency Air on Airplanes [Re: MostlyHarmless]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
Originally Posted By: MostlyHarmless

I was on a NWA flight from Minneapolis years ago when the oxygen masks deployed due to a sensor malfunction. It probably took me 10 seconds to grasp the yellow mask and put it over my face. Looking around you had people saying, what happened, talking to each other, looking over the seats for a flight attendant. I was convinced we were about to die catastrophically so it is still one of the most memorable moments in my life. Probably half the people didn't put their masks on before the pilot came on the intercom and said there was no emergency.

there's always potential survivors, and everyone else. The great God Boeing drops an oxygen mask in your lap, put it on immediately.

#236476 - 11/29/11 07:44 PM Re: Emergency Air on Airplanes [Re: Arney]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: unimogbert
...I think the maneuver is to roll the plane on its side and unload the wings into something like a sideways 0 g condition. This drops the plane quickly and doesn't build up airspeed like a dive would.

Wow, I've never heard of a commercial airliner pulling a manuever like that. What is it called?

By 0g, I assume it would be like riding NASA's "Vomit Comet" training aircraft that simulates 0g? Nothing better than tasting the same airline meal "twice" on a long flight! wink

I'm speculating on this somewhat because I'm not a trained airline pilot. (just a light airplane pilot, glider flight instructor, and historian of local airplane crashes - maybe a real line pilot can chime in?) The difference being that you'd be riding the plane while it's at a very high bank angle. Vomit Comet does its thing wings-level.

But I could safely say that the maneuver would be called the "sudden decompression emergency descent maneuver" - or something like it :-) (Followed by the "mass upchuck chorus")

Descending without building up excessive speed is important. High speed means an indelicate pullup could bend wings, cause high g in the cabin and you still have to bleed off the speed. And simple airspeed = airframe stress. There is a reason there is a Redline Speed (Max. Never Exceed). You also have a maximum speed for flight thru turbulence so.... getting down when it's bumpy also needs to be achievable.

Yes, it would be quite the chaotic ride down.
Better for the emergency to be slow decompression so changing altitudes briskly would do the job.

#236478 - 11/29/11 07:51 PM Re: Emergency Air on Airplanes [Re: unimogbert]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Pretty hypothetical, but would it be possible to share air, as one does in scuba emergencies, if you could not reach your own air supply? - hopefully with an attractive passenger of the opposite sex....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 284 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.