The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#236284 - 11/25/11 05:02 PM Re: Emergency Stove Comparison [Re: bacpacjac]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Excellent stove. I also would not call that a hobo stove. As for wicks -- anyone tie up their turkey before cooking? That heavy cotton string makes a great wick. What else do you do with used string that been wrapped around a turkey? I always like to scrounge when it's unnecessary.

#236288 - 11/25/11 05:21 PM Re: Emergency Stove Comparison [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Great idea Russ! I always feel bad throwing that twine away. The greese from the turkey might make it burn better too. wink

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#236343 - 11/26/11 11:07 PM Re: Emergency Stove Comparison [Re: bacpacjac]
Aussie Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Australia
I've had a "hexe" stove for many, many years and I can certify the fuel manufactured in the late 70's (and left open for decades)still works fine.

As a wind shield, you can use some stiff aluminium (like that from the bottom of a commercial pie tray, or the type builders use as roof flashing) and cut and bend it to make a screen that will fit inside the stove, and can block out the "back" of the stove. Make one for the front too if you like, but leave a gap for air flow.

Hehx is very stable and seems to work fine in the dry heat, wet tropics. It does not get wet.
I've used mine is the snow, and had no issues, but never in the severe cold, like you get in the Northern Hemisphere.

I have a couple of genuine 70's Australian Army issue stoves, and a couple of modern, commercial versions; they all work the same - its basically just a fancy tin can so there's really nothing between them, and nothing to go wrong.

Having said that, some are a bit heavier than others, and there are a few different sizes on the market - so choose one which suits.

One thing I have read is that some manufactures do produce better quality fuels. I can't say I have done a comparison, because I have a supply of old fuel tabs. Allegedly some companies add normal "wax" in with their hexe so its (cheaper) and doesn't burn as well. Perhaps HJim will turn up some research in the future ?

You can also burn just about any type of fire lighter's you want, or make your own from wax mixed with sawdust or cotton wool. You can even feed sticks, leaves etc in to the stove to use it like a hobo.

#236387 - 11/28/11 02:49 PM Re: Emergency Stove Comparison [Re: bacpacjac]
Vasco Offline
Stranger

I've just noticed this thread and I have to challenge the idea that hexe can be left for years and will function perfectly. It will absorb moisture over time and while it will still burn when damp, it is more difficult to light and puts out less heat, presumably because of the energy required to drive off the moisture content. If it gets really damp it will flake and crumble.

You are probably safe enough with it in a dry, warm climate, but here in England, it is necessary to store it rather carefully.

#236422 - 11/29/11 01:48 AM Re: Emergency Stove Comparison [Re: Vasco]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: Vasco
I've just noticed this thread and I have to challenge the idea that hexe can be left for years and will function perfectly. It will absorb moisture over time and while it will still burn when damp, it is more difficult to light and puts out less heat, presumably because of the energy required to drive off the moisture content. If it gets really damp it will flake and crumble.

You are probably safe enough with it in a dry, warm climate, but here in England, it is necessary to store it rather carefully.
Those are good points. I do keep mine sealed in a Ziploc bag, and I've had good results with that. They will also crush and turn to powder if not protected.

Still, and this is important, they are not like Wetfire tinder. If Wetfire's packaging gets compromised, the tinder will quickly be rendered useless.

On the other hand, with hexamine, even if the packaging is compromised and it does absorb some water, it will still burn.

HJ

#236424 - 11/29/11 02:51 AM Re: Emergency Stove Comparison [Re: Vasco]
Aussie Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Australia
Originally Posted By: Vasco

I guess I can't give a comparison to a fresh new hex tablet. My tablets have crumbled a bit, but to my eye seem to burn OK and I've never had a problem lighting them.

Just goes as a reminder that you need to check - and test - your gear, esp the things which may be packed in long term storage, like bug out kits !

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 516 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Today at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.