The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#235816 - 11/18/11 09:50 AM Sleeping in your vehicle
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Best strategy for sleeping in a vehicle not intended for that purpose?

#235819 - 11/18/11 10:08 AM Re: Sleeping in your vehicle [Re: dweste]
NuggetHoarder Offline

Loc: Appalachians
Since the economy turned down in 2007 there are numerous websites on this topic. Just go to google and search on homeless car living. There are so many issues for the nuevo homeless. Security, bathrooms, bathing, avoiding prosecution and persecution, storage, laundry, self defense, and on and on. They also spend a lot of time delving into scheduling because once you arrive at your sleeping location, you are pretty much stuck hiding in your car - so you have to take care of everything like bathroom runs and organizing prior to arriving at your sleep location because bathroom breaks and flashlight glow will give away your location.

There are also many campgrounds that will kick you out if you don't pitch a tent.

If you're not homeless, and you're only contemplating occasional sleeping in the car, then life is a bit simpler. One thing for sure is that you have to keep some windows cracked open to let out condensation. If you're in bug country, you'll need to rig up a window screen with magnets along the edge so you can cover an open window with screen material. Or, if magnets are not appropriate, then you'll need to invent some other way to cover a window crack with screen material somehow and still allow air movement.

It seems the number one issue I get from reading these sites is that prosecution and persecution are the two main scary issues for most people who are doing this. Cops and bandits become one and the same and avoiding both becomes a priority.

#235829 - 11/18/11 01:27 PM Re: Sleeping in your vehicle [Re: NuggetHoarder]
celler Offline
Addict

Loc: Jupiter, FL
On the window screen issue, the Skeeter Beater was discussed in another thread. No experience with the product, so standard disclaimers apply.

Craig

#235871 - 11/19/11 02:55 AM Re: Sleeping in your vehicle [Re: dweste]
sotto Offline
Addict

My wife and I camped out in our Dodge Dart all over the US and Canada in the 70s. We each had one suitcase each, stored in the driver's and passenger's seat at night. The back seats folded forwards, and there was a partition that folded down between the back seats and the trunk. This made a passable "bed", which was made even more passable by the use of air-mattresses and sleeping bags.

We had a small-to-medium sized foodbag which also held a small cook-kit. We also had a medium sized cooler. Late in the afternoons we would roll into a campground somewhere and find a flat spot to park, hopefully near some kind of picnic table. We'd cook dinner in a quantity large enough to always have leftovers for lunch the next day, which we would seal up in foil and then heat on the manifold while we were driving down the road the next day. Breakfast was almost always cereal with fresh fruit. We pretty much could keep to a $10 per day budget using this system.

People would often drive up to us in the campgrounds and ask "Where's your tent?" to which we would reply with a nod to the Dart.

#235910 - 11/20/11 01:57 AM Re: Sleeping in your vehicle [Re: dweste]
Ironwood Offline
Journeyman

Do it all the time when travelling. Coldest night -23F in the Adirondacks with an ice climbing buddy. If I had a dollar for every night spent in the back of one of my Subaru wagons my bank account would be bulging, frome East coast to West, in any weather in any nieghborhood (sometimes scary) Now it is mostly while on business trip delivering loads with my Ford crew cab dually, VERY roomy (the kids and I call it "La Hotel,Da Ford"). Walmart are good bets as they ALLOW overnught sleeping in their lots, FYI. Most are 24 hour and you can use the "can" and stock up on forgotten items. My 9 year old has spent as many as 100 days a year in my truck in the driveway, coldest to 16F with my mountaineering bag. We had to tell his school that, Yes, he is sleeping in my truck and that it is safe/warm and of his choosing.

Ironwood

Edited by Ironwood (11/20/11 02:01 AM)

#235913 - 11/20/11 02:07 AM Re: Sleeping in your vehicle [Re: dweste]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Note to self: get bigger vehicle.

#235931 - 11/20/11 12:08 PM Re: Sleeping in your vehicle [Re: dweste]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
Speaking of sleeping in your car, I saw a little Ford Transit Connect the other day that was converted to a mini two-person camper.

It was like this:

http://www.happycampers.is/en/page/photos_happy_2/

But, it also had a little tv mounted on the wall with a little bubble on the roof for a satellite dish inside.

I thought that was the neatest thing ever. Plenty of room for living, a selection of amenities comparable to your average hotel, and it gets nearly 30mpg on the highway with regular gas, which is better than any camper I've ever seen.

#235975 - 11/21/11 12:36 AM Re: Sleeping in your vehicle [Re: dweste]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
A while back, after a long night at the deershack playing trondune, drinking beer, and snorting Dr Johnson's snuff, I packed my 6'2' frame into the back of a Volkswagon Beetle, and spent the cold November night there. I have spent many nights since in the back of a pickup or Chevy Blazer in relative comfort. I can't, in good faith, recommed either the VW or the snuff.

#235983 - 11/21/11 01:23 AM Re: Sleeping in your vehicle [Re: dweste]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

Tinted windows are nice. More tint the better.

Some sort of air mattress, depending on the vehicle. Even just a closed-cell pad could help even a surface out.

Reflextix - cut to fit the windows, with leftover under your sleeping pad if in a pickup or van (or Honda Element, such as I own)
http://www.homedepot.com/Reflectix/h_d1/...catalogId=10053

Skreenz (or a bunch of mosquito netting you can secure)
http://www.skreenz.com/

Something for self-defense. I camp with my dog so don't worry about being surprised.

If you don't have access to a bathroom - something to pee in and handi-wipes for freshening up a bit.

Headlamp (Petzl e+lite is all I need to read)

Chemical hand and feet warmers (for all but hot summer nights).

Keep the key fob nearby. I have a "PANIC" button on mine.

Crack a window or sunroof to keep condensation from building up.

Many Wal-Marts allow overnight stays.

#235986 - 11/21/11 01:30 AM Re: Sleeping in your vehicle [Re: dweste]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Quote:
Note to self: get bigger vehicle.

Yes, exactly. It will save you a lot of frustration. Living in a car gets old really fast. When people see someone living in a car, they think 'homeless, shiftless, dangerous'. When they see someone living in a van, they think 'camping'. And that can make a world of difference on how you're treated, and what handy tips you might get.

I've had two vans, and built a freestanding platform (transferable to the next van) for a twin mattress using 2x2s and 1/2" plywood, extra-long to accommodate a small propane stove on rainy days, and storage underneath. I could stretch out and be comfortable, and there was room for the dog and the cat and the litter box. grin There was considerable difference between the comfort of the carefully insulated van and the one that wasn't. Air mattresses are cold in cold weather, and they leak at the most inconvenient times.

Fairgrounds sometimes have camping available, for a fee.

Some National Forests have primitive campgrounds (w/privies) that the hunting/fishing folks use. They used to be free (and you might still find a few small ones) but mostly they run about $10/day now.

If you look 'clean', you could apply to be a campground host for the season and live there for free (OBG and his wife used to do this -- he said once you do it -- and do a good job -- you've got an edge when you apply at other places).

Clean and polite will sometimes get you an 'unauthorized' spot in the national forests, depending on the nature of the authority figure who finds you. Booze, firing guns and having a trashy site are the things that will get you run off the fastest.

Sue

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 274 Guests and 29 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Today at 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.