The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#236110 - 11/22/11 07:13 AM Re: Not used it in a year? [Re: dweste]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
One person's trash is another's treasure.

#236216 - 11/24/11 04:07 AM Re: Not used it in a year? [Re: dweste]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I'm having one of THOSE weeks. On Monday, the power steering failed in my car so I switched vehicles with DH, who has a 15 min commute compared to my hour long trip. I pulled my hiking kit/GHB and good insulated rubber boots out of my trunk and stowed them in the cab of this pick-up and went on my merry way. Tonight, a brake line in the truck blew on my way home from work. I made it to his auto parts store after a very slow and cautious journey using the stick shift and emergency brake, but in the midst of the cursing, cab calling and the telling of the story to his employees, I left my kit in the truck.

No big deal, I think. I'll get it in the morning. And then I add , "maybe." Then think "If it's still there." So then I couldn't sleep.

So, I pull out an empty day pack and throw in a full kleen kanteen wraped in a garbag bag, a gortex jacket and a wool hat and mitts. Then I go back to bed. Then I get up and add a pair of wool socks and a basic FAK with bandaids, triangular, maxi pad, purelle, kleenex and small bottle of OTC meds, and go back to bed. Then I go to the basement and grab the extra gear bag and add a tea light, pack of ZIP fire starters, pill bottle with vaseline soaked cotton balls, bic, microPUR tabs, pack of dental floss, keychain LED, flo organge emerg poncho, roll of maison twine and a CRKT folder. Then I rummage some more and find my old hiking lanyard with whistle, mini LED, SAK and mag block. Then I go back to bed.

Combined with the edc I wear, have in my purse and keep in my fleece jacket and polyfil vest, and dressing for the worst possible weather here, it's not a bad set-up for an uncomfortable but survivable night.

The morals of the story?

1. Just because both vehicles had maintainance on the weekend doesn't mean they won't breakdown the next day.

2. If your vehicle breaks down, grab your kit. Both times. Being without it is very disconcerting.

3. Just because you haven't used it in a year, doesn't mean you won't need it.

Then I think. "There's no food in there" so I threw in a small fruit cake. Now I'm back in bed and fully wide awake.

Edited by bacpacjac (11/24/11 05:20 AM)
Edit Reason: because I'm REALLLY awake now!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#236226 - 11/24/11 07:07 AM Re: Not used it in a year? [Re: bacpacjac]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
I think you are self-taught enough to survive just about anything without your kit,your awareness,knowledge,& vigilance will prevail for you, should you find yourself in a predicament without your kit!You are Good to go,Now get some shuteye,Cheers! sleep

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (M_a_x), 276 Guests and 29 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.