Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#235694 - 11/16/11 02:52 AM Re: Stove of the Week: The Trangia 27 [Re: Hikin_Jim]
leemann Offline
Soylent Green
Addict

Loc: At the soylent green plant.
Originally Posted By: Hikin_Jim
My Trangia 25 is from the 1960's. It's got the old style burner and a solid leather strap. It's vintage cool. smile I won't be drilling any holes in that one!

My Trangia 27 is a beater from the 80's. No biggie if that one gets banged up a bit.

Whats the difference between the burner in the 25 and the newer model burner?.

Lee
http://datacore.sciflicks.com/soylent_green/sounds/soylent_green_people.wav
RIP OBG

#235701 - 11/16/11 04:41 AM Re: Stove of the Week: The Trangia 27 [Re: leemann]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: leemann
Whats the difference between the burner in the 25 and the newer model burner?

Hi, Lee,

The older burners did not have a cap. No big deal, but I prefer the newer design where if there's alcohol left over after a burn, I just let things cool down, put on the cap, and I'm on my way. No screwing around with trying to get the alcohol out or having to waste fuel just because I can't retrieve it. With a modern burner, if you're going for a day hike, just add fuel to the burner and stick it in your pocket or pack. No need to carry a separate fuel bottle.

The simmer ring on the older burners was permanently attached by a hinge. The ring just flipped up out of the way when not in use. The simmer ring only covered the jets but did not have a "door" like today's simmer ring -- the center of the stove was still wide open. With the old simmer ring, you could reduce the output of the stove, but you had far less control over the flame than you do with today's burners.

Here's a photo of my vintage 1960's Trangia, still going strong. You can see that the simmer ring is flipped up. I apologize for the low photo quality. I think this is a cell phone photo.

HJ

#235708 - 11/16/11 08:06 AM Re: Stove of the Week: The Trangia 27 [Re: Hikin_Jim]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway

Is the control knob on your gas burner black with groves like this?
Does the control assembly and knob look like the above?

Yes.

#235709 - 11/16/11 08:12 AM Re: Stove of the Week: The Trangia 27 [Re: Hikin_Jim]
leemann Offline
Soylent Green
Addict

Loc: At the soylent green plant.
Cool, nice pics too.

Thanks HJ
Lee
http://datacore.sciflicks.com/soylent_green/sounds/soylent_green_people.wav
RIP OBG

#235710 - 11/16/11 04:34 PM Re: Stove of the Week: The Trangia 27 [Re: MostlyHarmless]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: MostlyHarmless

Yes.
OK, then you have the version made by Primus.

HJ

#235711 - 11/16/11 04:35 PM Re: Stove of the Week: The Trangia 27 [Re: leemann]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: leemann
Cool, nice pics too.

Thanks HJ
Lee
You're welcome of course.

HJ

#235751 - 11/17/11 04:29 AM Re: Stove of the Week: The Trangia 27 [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: MostlyHarmless

Yes.

I didn't have time to expand on this earlier, but if you've got the Primus made control, you should be able to mate it to a Primus Omnifuel pump, if you ever decided that you wanted/needed to. Like this:

In other words, with that fuel hose/controller, you could run your Trangia mounted burner on liquid fuels like white gasoline or kerosene. Trangia + liquid fuel burner? Talk about the ultimate cold weather snow melting machine! Keep it in mind for your next South Pole expedition. wink

HJ

#235774 - 11/17/11 06:35 PM Re: Stove of the Week: The Trangia 27 [Re: Hikin_Jim]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

In other words, with that fuel hose/controller, you could run your Trangia mounted burner on liquid fuels like white gasoline or kerosene. Trangia + liquid fuel burner? Talk about the ultimate cold weather snow melting machine! Keep it in mind for your next South Pole expedition. wink

Now that is absolutely AWESOME - I would NEVER have dreamed of that!

How about the nozzles - should they be exchanged when changing fuel? Or will that nozzle work well with other fuels?

#235780 - 11/17/11 07:33 PM Re: Stove of the Week: The Trangia 27 [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

The jet (nozzle) would have to be changed for things to be efficient. Getting a set of jets wouldn't be that big of a deal.

From my blog:
Quote:
The Omnifuel comes with jets with three different sized apertures, one jet for each of the three general classes of fuel: gas (0.45mm), gasoline (0.37mm), and kerosene (0.28mm). Each jet aperture size is optimized to burn efficiently the fuel for which it is intended. The lighter the fuel, the larger the aperture size. The heavier the fuel, the smaller the aperture. While it is best to run the stove with the correct jet for a given fuel, my experience is that the stove will work reasonably well with mid-sized aperture jet on both gas and gasoline. I have not, as of this writing, tried all possible combinations of jets and fuels.

In other words, you'd just buy jets intended for a Primus Omnifuel and use those with your burner. You'd need an Omnifuel pump, and you'd need a fuel bottle from one of the following brands: MSR, Primus, Sigg, Optimus, or Snow Peak. You'd want to check that the threads on the Omnifuel jets will screw into your burner, but I'm pretty sure they're going to be compatible. Even if they weren't compatible, there are ways to modify gas jets if needed.

The jets shouldn't be too expensive, but a pump, well, those aren't cheap. But if you ever did some serious winter travel, you have the option of going multifuel. Pretty cool. cool

HJ

#235781 - 11/17/11 08:11 PM Re: Stove of the Week: The Trangia 27 [Re: Hikin_Jim]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

The jet (nozzle) would have to be changed for things to be efficient. Getting a set of jets wouldn't be that big of a deal.

That's my first reaction as well. Call me old fashioned, but I stick with optimization for a single fuel. I'm OK with changing nozzles, but running one fuel through a nozzle optimized for a different nozzle gives med bad vibes.

But if you ever did some serious winter travel, you have the option of going multifuel. Pretty cool. cool

Absolutefantastically!

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.