The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#235499 - 11/11/11 04:10 PM Preparedness vs true resilience
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
As western Alaska recovers from the storm, Alaska Dispatch has reprinted an article from New York pointing out the importance of true community: Toilet paper preparedness vs. True resilience

"With all of these artifacts of our lives stripped away, I see the true resilience. We have remained a community. We stay connected with each other. Check-out counters hold collection jars; local benefit dinners and concerts abound; schools send buses out of district to bring students back to their local classmates; farmers work to cover each others’ crop and product shortages; families and friends continue to help each other repair and rebuild. True resilience is not in having a fortified home that can stand in isolation with an abundance of toilet paper. True resilience is in our relationships to each other. Because wherever those relationships exist, home will rebuild itself."

#235509 - 11/11/11 04:59 PM Re: Preparedness vs true resilience [Re: AKSAR]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
That is a good column, AKSAR, thank you.

I could happily own an entire Costco worth of supplies, and see merit in doing so, but would prefer not to live as if on an otherwise deserted island.

As the column's author notes, individual preparedness is not at odds with community - it's just not the end-all be-all. Her preps, she observed, helped neighbors and she did not have to compete with others for limited supplies.

This may seem a non sequitur, but I'm going to risk it and relate a personal story from last Sunday. It provided me, some neighbors and strangers a glimpse into how much more effective we can be as a team than individually. My dog and I had driven just 30 feet from our home when she barked at a dog on the sidewalk. The light had turned red so I stopped and glanced toward the unleashed dog which was sniffing a tree in front of our house and toward the corner where I anticipated his owner(s) would soon be appearing. They didn't, and then the dog ambled across the street, against the light. I flipped on my emergency flashers, took my dog's leash, locked my car and went after the pup. He wasn't running but he wasn't stopping, either, so I got the attention of some pedestrians, slowed down approaching traffic and we herded him to a standstill and I got the leash on him. English bulldog, intact male - strong fella!

I needed to re-park my car and get my dog back in the house (lunch outing cancelled) so I called a friend on the next block, who came running to hold the lost dog while I did so. We then walked the dog around the block to start knocking on doors and asked passerby if they recognized him (no one did). In route back home we ran into some other neighbors, strangers and other dog people we recognized from our dog walks. I took photos and e-mailed them to my neighborhood list, some of whom in turn posted the photos on neighborhood blogs and list-serves. A neighbor offered to keep the lost dog for the night if we didn't find the owner. Another neighbor took a pic with her i-Phone and within minutes had printed flyers and we began posting them on light poles (the norm for posting notices in our 'hood).

It was while we were out posting those flyers (keeping the lost dog with us) that the dog's owner came running up with a dog person who we had asked to be on the lookout for anyone looking for a lost dog. The dog's owners, who live two blocks away, had just noticed that he had escaped from their backyard.

Just two hours elapsed between me noticing he was loose and his being reunited with his family - thanks to the efforts of over a dozen neighbors and strangers who dropped what they had been doing and pitched in. And also others in the surrounding blocks who were engaged in getting the word out via e-mail and blogs.

The experience reinforced my belief that if a crisis occurs, there will be a lot more of my neighbors helping one another than there will be looters and muggers. I hope I'd have the supplies and ability to pitch in.

#235514 - 11/11/11 05:37 PM Re: Preparedness vs true resilience [Re: AKSAR]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Well said, the both of you.

#235546 - 11/11/11 08:39 PM Re: Preparedness vs true resilience [Re: AKSAR]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Great article. Thanks AKSAR.

Dagny sums it up perfectly: "I could happily own an entire Costco worth of supplies, and see merit in doing so, but would prefer not to live as if on an otherwise deserted island."

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#235578 - 11/12/11 05:38 AM Re: Preparedness vs true resilience [Re: AKSAR]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Good article! I wish more people would think this way. Too many people, perhaps half-jokingly, imagine the survival scenario as "every man for himself" or as some sort of shootout fantasy. I saw on another survival forum a discussion about including an AK and a good amount of ammo in one's get home kit. Just exactly what scenario did this guy have in mind? No one even asked. Adding substantial poundage like that needs justification. And the guy didn't even have a map in his kit. (Maybe he planned on following the trail of zombies.) This sort of stuff seems to stem from the fear of fellow human beings.

But we don't have to be afraid of each other. We can survive better if we cooperate as a group, sharing our resources, supplies, labor, etc. That's what our distant ancestors did to compete with wild beasts that were physically much better equipped to survive. We're sharing knowledge and information on ETS, and that's the start of cooperation.

DB

#235592 - 11/13/11 12:04 AM Re: Preparedness vs true resilience [Re: AKSAR]
LED Offline
Veteran

Thanks for posting the article.

But I'm not sure how the sense of community would translate in larger metro areas. Don't forget, our society seem to reinforce a sense of narcissism and focus on the individual that may or may not translate well in a crisis.

I fully expect people to help eachother out after an earthquake. Thats why I encourage everyone I know to take a CERT class. But for how long?

Hopefully our level of cooperation is not directly dependent on access to basic necessities.

#235597 - 11/13/11 03:47 AM Re: Preparedness vs true resilience [Re: LED]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: LED
But I'm not sure how the sense of community would translate in larger metro areas. Don't forget, our society seem to reinforce a sense of narcissism and focus on the individual that may or may not translate well in a crisis.

The answer is both obvious and difficult: we have to change the culture. Look at Japan. That's an example of an urban, highly developed nation that, during their latest disaster, did not display the sort of selfish behavior that we have come to expect of American society. I'm not sure whether the urban Japanese has any more of a sense of community than we do, but many of them certainly acted like they share their society with other people (a part of being in a "community," I suppose), instead of stooping to conduct that at best are unnecessarily asinine, and at worst are downright the criminal, for the sake of survival.

I have the feeling that everyone reading this will do the decent thing in an emergency. No one on ETS will jump the queue in a store, smash windows, loot, leaving the neighbors to rot when you can share an important piece of news without cost to yourself, etc. We will influence the people we know by the strength of our character, and hopefully they'll come to value preparedness and community. They, in turn, will influence others. This is slow, and maybe each of us will get only one convert every ten years. But that's better than the alternative.

Well, one can dream...

DB

#235598 - 11/13/11 06:38 AM Re: Preparedness vs true resilience [Re: AKSAR]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
This is an interesting article. I agree with the author's viewpoint, although I think she seems to emphasize community resilience at the expense of individual resilience. I doubt you can have a resilient community without a good number of resilient individuals. If you have too many individuals with the wrong mindset, it can spoil the attitude of the whole community/group.

I think this article fits nicely with the article I linked to back in August, primarily on developing the traits that promote individual resilience to adversity. One of the points emphasized in that article was building better social connections, which is where the individual resilience spreads to encompass community resilience.

#235600 - 11/13/11 06:58 AM Re: Preparedness vs true resilience [Re: Arney]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I suspect that when we have our next big earthquake here in the USA, probably on the west coast somewhere, we will see basically the same pattern we have seen in the past. There will be some looting ( in some cases, survival scrounging) and there will be a lot of constructive ad hoc community action, which may not get as much attention as the more negative actions during the event.

With a well developed infrastructure, we can likely return things to normal fairly quickly without long term disruption. I seriously doubt we will ever approach the Japanese standard of behavior, turning in large quantities of loose cash found after the event, and other selfless acts.

#235612 - 11/14/11 03:26 AM Re: Preparedness vs true resilience [Re: Bingley]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Japan can Never be used as an example,at least here in the USA!I'll get right to the point,Have you ever seen a Japanese Bum,lol?Besides Japanese what other language is spoken in Japan on a normal basis?What diversity exists or ever did exist in Japan?How many years did Japan receive refugees from other countries?Any Illegal aliens there?Are there any cities,towns,villages,apt buildings that someone other than Japanese are the majority of residence? In other words Japan only has 1 culture,& that is Japanese!We in the USA will Never be anywhere near the mindset of japan,because we are diverse,& we will alway's have criminals,looters,etc. It is good to keep in mind, so one stays on their toes when factoring into their preparedness!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 507 Guests and 103 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Today at 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Yesterday at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.