Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#235457 - 11/10/11 07:24 PM Re: Emergency Alert System Test Fails Completely [Re: MartinFocazio]
Pete Offline
Veteran

The epic FAIL ... was a success :-)
At least they now realize that their top-down system is not working. Time to fix the real problems - we might really need to do this someday.

Pete2

#235491 - 11/11/11 06:04 AM Re: Emergency Alert System Test Fails Completely [Re: MartinFocazio]
DaneV Offline
Stranger

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
National Emergency Alert System test planned for Nov. 9 didn't work as it should be. The check have had impact on countrywide television and radio stations. Wireless-aware alert programs are due to be rolled out in the next year. Well, that is why it is called a test. They will be planning to test it again until they get it right. That would be the idea, why they're testing it. Let's just be positive about this. smile

#235506 - 11/11/11 04:33 PM Re: Emergency Alert System Test Fails Completely [Re: MartinFocazio]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
Many years ago, I did some developmental and operational testing of systems for Uncle Sam. First lesson we learned: establish performance criteria before the tests, not after. This helps with things like knowing why you are testing and how you performed after the tests.

Seems like this was not done for this national test, at least not publicly.

#235537 - 11/11/11 08:11 PM Re: Emergency Alert System Test Fails Completely [Re: MartinFocazio]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: MartinFocazio

- Some DirectTV customers reported hearing Lady Gaga's “Paparazzi” play during the test.

This probably sent more people running for cover than anything else they could have done...

#235553 - 11/11/11 09:58 PM Re: Emergency Alert System Test Fails Completely [Re: haertig]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
My wife said it worked on our cable TV.

I personally think it is a waste of time and money.

There is no nationwide emergency that would benefit from such a system. If something that big happened, it would be hard not to find out about it.

Bob

#235617 - 11/14/11 07:25 AM Re: Emergency Alert System Test Fails Completely [Re: MartinFocazio]
jumpjack Offline
Stranger

Loc: Italy
Originally Posted By: MartinFocazio
Today was supposed to be the first ever national activation of the new Emergency Alerting System. There's fail, Fail and FAIL. and I think this one warrants the extra special category of....

F A I L

Test was intented to verify if system worked; so, system failed, test worked anyway! ;-)
Think iof what would it happened if it was real rather than a test...

I have 2 question:
- will test results be made public?
- how many tests will be carried on next? A single test does not proof anything, and the more complex a system is, the higher number of test it requires; this test involves hundreds of millions of people and thousands of broadcaster...

Probably at least a couple of tests per year would be required for next, say, 10 years (assuming system will not be actually needed in the meantime...), but wouldn't people get used to it up to ignoring alert messages in the future...?

-- Jumpjack --

#236020 - 11/21/11 05:16 AM Re: Emergency Alert System Test Fails Completely [Re: Lono]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Quote:
...the day that a government agency can reach in and interrupt all Internet transmissions to transmit *any* message is a day that I turn off my laptop and PCs.

I'm sure they already have the ability to tap into your transmissions right now. What they failed in was passing an important message to you.

Japan didn't seem to have any trouble doing it to warn their people of an impending disaster. They gave them almost a whole minute to execute a planned response.

OUR government apparently isn't capable of giving us any warning. The first we shall know about it is when we're knocked on our a$$es!

I'm with Marty on this: FAIL!

Sue

#236067 - 11/21/11 08:32 PM Re: Emergency Alert System Test Fails Completely [Re: MartinFocazio]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Update:

I still rate this a Fail.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 258 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
Yesterday at 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.