Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#178608 - 08/04/09 05:44 PM Re: Outfitting my house with a Generator--options [Re: Grouch]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
There is one problem with old furnace oil tanks not being mentioned. The bottoms do tend to rust out from the inside. Condensation and the occasional bit of wet fuel leave water in the bottom of the tank. The tank is rusting from inside so it looks fine from the outside until it finally rust right through and leaks all over your basement.
If you are considering using diesel power you are better to put a new tank outside.
You should consider draining or pumping out the fuel in the tank you have and getting it out of your basement before it empties itself on your floor.

Consider also that diesel does rot in storage. There really are bacteria that break it down.

#178762 - 08/06/09 04:39 AM Re: Outfitting my house with a Generator--options [Re: Grouch]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
Originally Posted By: Grouch
Originally Posted By: Dan_McI
FWIW, I have a generator that runs off of NG piped into the house. Neat, simple, works. So long as we pay the gas bills and the pipeline still has gas running through it, it should continue to work for a long time.

How long have you had the NG generator? Is it one of the automated units? If so, when it performs its scheduled exercise, does it actually put a load on the generator or does it just run for a while? Thanks for any info that you might provide. smile

The generator was installed during our house renovation, which is a mild word. We gutted the place, took a year, moved back in in March. So, it's been in since early this year.

When it cranks up Thursday shortly after noon, it only idles. There is no load put on the generator. It's only turning over to keep things lubricated. It runs for less than an hour, but I have not timed it.

The generator is a Guardian Elite 10KW model.

#178771 - 08/06/09 10:35 AM Re: Outfitting my house with a Generator--options [Re: Dan_McI]
Grouch Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio
Thanks for the info, Dan.

#178824 - 08/07/09 12:21 AM Re: Outfitting my house with a Generator--options [Re: Grouch]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
I think that in most places the generator will not be able to have a load put on it, when it is cranked up for only a scheduled exercise. If you put a load on it, the load would need to be for providing power to something off the grid. Anything else risks running power back into the grid, which I something I am sure that the power companies do not want to happen if it's not within their power to manage.

#188086 - 11/11/09 11:22 PM Re: Outfitting my house with a Generator--options [Re: Dan_McI]
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA

I had been thinking about this as well, but at some point I had a gestalt and thought... Hmm. Maybe putting a couple of solar panels on the garage roof might be better. No gas to worry about, and no noise to attract unwanted attention...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000MS8SHM

-john

#188103 - 11/12/09 03:16 AM Re: Outfitting my house with a Generator--options [Re: Dan_McI]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By: Dan_McI
I think that in most places the generator will not be able to have a load put on it, when it is cranked up for only a scheduled exercise. If you put a load on it, the load would need to be for providing power to something off the grid. Anything else risks running power back into the grid, which I something I am sure that the power companies do not want to happen if it's not within their power to manage.

Mostly that's for safety, so you don't energize a line that's being worked on. I'm surprised you don't have an isolation switch -- that's mandatory under Code up here.

I think a generator should be tested under load. It's easy enough to unplug your refrigerator and air conditioner from the grid, connect them to a 12 gauge cord, and plug directly to the genny. Otherwise, how do you know what you really have?

My 0.02

#188462 - 11/17/09 01:28 AM Re: Outfitting my house with a Generator--options [Re: dougwalkabout]
rebwa Offline
Enthusiast

I recently upgraded from a 14 year old 5,000 watt with a briggs and stratton to the Honeywell with a Honda engine and 7,000 watt, sold at Costco. It' also the electric start which is great for me as the pull start on the old one was getting hard for me. I've ran a test and real happy so far. I too thought of going propane as storing gas can be a real pia. I do have acreage so I keep about 30 gallon in a shed during the winter months, that's a good 400 feet from the house and rotate in my truck about every 3 months. If I didn't have secure storage a good distance from the house I wouldn't go with gas.

#188481 - 11/17/09 02:46 PM Re: Outfitting my house with a Generator--options [Re: rebwa]
Famdoc Offline

Loc: PA
Consider a Listeroid: Big, dumb, slow, low maintenance, and the most efficient design in terms of diesel consumption. They seemingly always start:

http://www.kk.org/cooltools/archives/001011.php

The Rocketboy link especially is an enjoyable and informative read: http://www.f1-rocketboy.com/lister.html

#235439 - 11/10/11 03:57 PM Re: Outfitting my house with a Generator--options [Re: Blast]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: Blast
Originally Posted By: Horus
Anybody have any good suggestions for a diesel generator manufacturer? Ideally one with a fuel pump--maybe the all have this.

Well, I really like this one. grin

Blast, I was just doing some reading of an old--but still very informative--thread. That Harbor Fr link now points to some other product. Could you provide an updated link (if they still have it) to what you were referring to so I know what you were talking about?

Doesn't sound like an off-the-shelf option, but intriguing.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (jds), 268 Guests and 48 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
Today at 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.