Topic Options
#235109 - 11/04/11 07:15 PM Re: A simple kit for kids [Re: Mark_R]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: Mark_R
Originally Posted By: Richlacal
Pea-whistles dont work well when wet,Fox-40's work underwater,You want the Best for the Kids,don't you?

Might I suggest one of the angled marine safety whistles

I paid $2 for one of these at Sports Chalet a couple of years back. They're marine whistles so they're lower pitched (figure about 2 KHz) and lack the charateristic "trill" of the pea whistles. They're also very loud and are near indestructable.
I've always thought pealess was better -- the "peas" can get wet which could impede them, particularly in winter. The pea could freeze to the body of the whistle.

However, you're way better off getting a whistle with a pea than no whistle at all!

HJ

#235127 - 11/05/11 12:35 AM Re: A simple kit for kids [Re: Richlacal]
ajax Offline

Pea-whistles dont work well when wet,Fox-40's work underwater,You want the Best for the Kids,don't you?

Nothing in this kit is the best. It's simple, small and most importantly affordable and the more affordable it is the more accessible it is. I'm sure the perfect kit would have a Fox40, a DR Photon, AMK bivvy, and a PLB.

#235133 - 11/05/11 04:13 AM Re: A simple kit for kids [Re: ajax]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Common sense points directly to the whistle as being the single-most Important item in this kit,therefore " the best" is referred to the whistle!Don't let being thrifty,override common sense! wink

#235143 - 11/05/11 04:05 PM Re: A simple kit for kids [Re: Richlacal]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
Common sense points directly to the whistle as being the single-most Important item in this kit,therefore " the best" is referred to the whistle!Don't let being thrifty,override common sense! wink

My thoughts exactly, I would agree that the whistle is the most important item in this kit and that the Fox-40, from everything I've read, is the best choice (its what I choose for myself too).

As for the other high-cost item, the light, I do not feel this is the best choice in retrospect. It was the lowest cost, compact option that I knew of locally (I put these together in under a week, with the shopping actually being done in the last 2 days before camp - there wasn't a lot of shopping around involved!). The big problem with the Turtle light is the ease with which it can be accidentally turned on.

As others have suggested, the County Comm light might be a better choice both from a cost & functionality perspective; not only are they cheaper but it looks like they wouldn't be as easy to accidentally turn on. I've no experience with these but have heard good things.

Normally I wouldn't have considered this an option since County Comm doesn't ship to Canada, but I've just found out there is a site selling their products which does ship to Canada; something I'll try to keep in mind for the future.

That said, I look at the light as being lower in the level of importance for this kit. In my mind this item fits primarily in the psychological comfort category, with the signalling aspect being its secondary purpose.

#235243 - 11/08/11 02:10 AM Re: A simple kit for kids [Re: Denis]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
The County Comm lights are a mixed bag. Nice light with a slide switch but the attachment point for the keyring breaks easily.

edit:

I ordered their 10 for 10 or something like that special. Easy battery change but the keyring breaking would be a big minus.

Edited by UTAlumnus (11/08/11 02:13 AM)

#235245 - 11/08/11 03:17 AM Re: A simple kit for kids [Re: Denis]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
what are opinions?... the cost to potential benefit of including a high quality chem light with a short piece of string... to circle overhead to attract attention of aerial SAR or hang from low branch to attract ground SAR

#235246 - 11/08/11 03:52 AM Re: A simple kit for kids [Re: Denis]
ajax Offline

The storage durability of chemlights has been questioned before. While the signalling ability may be a plus it's taking space away from a useful light source. Even the best chemlights are only rated for 12 hours of use. How well do chemlights work in the daylight? When are SAR operations usually called off for the night?

#235247 - 11/08/11 03:53 AM Re: A simple kit for kids [Re: UTAlumnus]
ajax Offline

Originally Posted By: UTAlumnus
The County Comm lights are a mixed bag. Nice light with a slide switch but the attachment point for the keyring breaks easily.

This x100. They're nice lights but that keyring sucks. There is also the possibility of the light getting stuck on and dying.

#235268 - 11/08/11 05:38 PM Re: A simple kit for kids [Re: ]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
Yep. Powerful LED. But that plastic eyelet breaks at the drop of a hat.

I have a bunch of their SOLEDs, which is the same light on a strong clip. I have a couple clipped to my BOB and they work pretty good for that. Unfortunately they're not selling as many colors as they used to.

One thing I do like is that they ship with a little plastic doohickey that keeps the switch from activating accidentally. I keep those in place.

#235381 - 11/09/11 10:47 PM Re: A simple kit for kids [Re: LesSnyder]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
Originally Posted By: LesSnyder
what are opinions?... the cost to potential benefit of including a high quality chem light with a short piece of string... to circle overhead to attract attention of aerial SAR . . .

I thought this was patently false; only works in Hollywood (Rambo). There is not near enough luminosity.

My $.02

Edited by MoBOB (11/09/11 10:48 PM)
Edit Reason: Misspelling

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 608 Guests and 164 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.