Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#235341 - 11/09/11 05:47 PM Re: Avalanche beacons in the summer? [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: Byrd_Huntr
Not my area of experience, but couldn't you each carry a Garmin "Chirp" programmed to each others GPS unit? only $23.00.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=74811&ra=true

This would give you the advantage of having a GPS unit plus a way to locate someone who is nearby but out of sight.

The reliable range of the Chirp is said to be '30-'40, the battery lasts a year, and I'm thinking it is about the same power as an av beacon.

No affiliation
Interesting! Never heard of it before.

Seems like it would be of limited utility. You've only got 10m range under ideal conditions. If conditions are ideal, you probably don't need a Chirp.
Originally Posted By: Chirp Web Site
Range: up to 32 feet (10 meters)

Tips:
Do not mount the chirp inside a metal container.
Do not bury the chirp.
Do not put the chirp in water.
A compatible Garmin device should detect the chirp within 10 m. For maximum transmission range, allow the chirp to have an unobstructed view in all directions [emphasis added].

Still, this may be the shape of things to come. Perhaps units with more range will become available. Parents could slip one in a child's pocket. Now, that would be nice at the County Fair!

HJ

#235348 - 11/09/11 06:43 PM Re: Avalanche beacons in the summer? [Re: Arney]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
Maybe a new use for a Recco reflector too, if range were tweeked.

http://www.mountaingear.com/pages/produc...item/640258/N/0

#235444 - 11/10/11 05:07 PM Re: Avalanche beacons in the summer? [Re: Arney]
BruceZed Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Canada
An Avalanche Beacon is short ranged and meant to quickly help your companions find out the spot where you are buried under the snow after being caught in an Avalanche. The Beacons are turned on before a ski or snowmobile trip and set on Send. After one or more of your companions are caught and swept down the mountain by the Avalanche the survivors set their Beacons on Receive and begin the search from the position anyone saw you in the snow cloud.

With less than 20 minutes to complete the search, it is fast, intense, and short ranged work. No one is going to clear much rock hard Avalanche Debris. Searchers must literally get right on top of the victim to find them.

If it was rock, etc. It my not work and if you were not buried you could probably see the victim before the beacon did anything. They don't work at any really effective range for any other type of search. Realistic maximums are between 30m to 50m for Avalanche Beacons.

These type of Beacons are specialized pieces of gear made for backcountry travel where there is a chance of an Ice or Snow Avalanches.

That said, the biggest Snow Avalanche I ever set off was hiking in the Canadian Rockies in May. Fortunately for me and the group, it was a wet snow Avalanche and we were traveling well apart and above the slide area.
boreal.net

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 242 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hoover Stew
by brandtb
Yesterday at 03:45 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.