Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#234968 - 11/02/11 03:53 AM Re: There Will Be Snow,Lessons Learned At GroceryStore [Re: MarkO]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Originally Posted By: MarkO

Do you guys run your generator every month or so regardless ????

YES. This is absolutely the #1 thing you must do with a manual generator. I toss in a little gasoline (like a cup) and run it dry. I also have an old space heater that I connect to load-test it while it's running.

#234969 - 11/02/11 03:54 AM Re: There Will Be Snow,Lessons Learned At GroceryStore [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Glock-A-Roo

Yeah I just found out about ethanol's effect on seals & gaskets & stuff. Can't believe there's not more uproar about it in the marketplace.

It's not a factor for gear made after about 2006 or so...

#234970 - 11/02/11 03:57 AM Re: There Will Be Snow,Lessons Learned At GroceryStore [Re: CANOEDOGS]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: CANOEDOGS
Martin/all..i wonder how people in apartments are doing with no way to have a fireplace or generator.any feedback on that?

Tens of thousands of customers in the Northeast. Perhaps hundreds of thousands of individuals. In my area, which is "rural" (in a limited sense) there's STILL plenty of people who, despite having well water, septic systems and being totally dependent on electric, have no fireplace/ability to heat the home.

#234971 - 11/02/11 03:59 AM Re: There Will Be Snow,Lessons Learned At GroceryStore [Re: LesSnyder]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: LesSnyder
MarkO...I'm new to generator ownership, but plan on starting mine once a year.

I hope you meant MONTH not YEAR.

#234972 - 11/02/11 03:59 AM Re: There Will Be Snow,Lessons Learned At GroceryStore [Re: MartinFocazio]
MarkO Offline

Loc: Oregon
Originally Posted By: MartinFocazio
Originally Posted By: MarkO

Do you guys run your generator every month or so regardless ????

YES. This is absolutely the #1 thing you must do with a manual generator. I toss in a little gasoline (like a cup) and run it dry. I also have an old space heater that I connect to load-test it while it's running.

I filled mine when I started it for the first time and run it monthly then I add a little when I'm done for the day. My thinking was that I did not want to have the added step of adding gas to the gen when I need it.

#234984 - 11/02/11 01:31 PM Re: There Will Be Snow,Lessons Learned At GroceryStore [Re: MartinFocazio]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: MartinFocazio

The manual with my generator says different: it says to run it every 14 days under load (I also use a space heater) or to follow the long-term storage procedure, which is basically an oil change, draining fuel from the fuel line and carb bowl, squirting some oil into the cylinder and turning it over a couple of times.

What are your thoughts on that?

#234985 - 11/02/11 01:39 PM Re: There Will Be Snow,Lessons Learned At GroceryStore [Re: chaosmagnet]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
I always followed that method (the manual long storage) and the only problem was when I didn't refill the oil enough to get past the "low oil" cut off on the genie. It looked full to me. I just had to add about an ounce of oil and it kicked off on the first pull.

#235080 - 11/04/11 05:07 AM Re: There Will Be Snow,Lessons Learned At GroceryStore [Re: Frisket]
Frisket Offline
Addict

Lets add to this convo.

Kerosene Heaters or Propane?

Candles or Oil Lamps or Propane Lamps or Electronic Lamps?

Books or handheld video games?

#235087 - 11/04/11 10:52 AM Re: There Will Be Snow,Lessons Learned At GroceryStore [Re: Frisket]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Frisket
Lets add to this convo.

Kerosene Heaters or Propane?

Candles or Oil Lamps or Propane Lamps or Electronic Lamps?

Books or handheld video games?

A grocery store blackout during a snowstorm is a great scenarion for considering what to EDC on you. I ALWAYS have a light on my person, for example. (A photon around my neck.) It's convenient for unexpected darkness somewhere unfamiliar.

Our house gets chilly fast during a power outage, so the basement becomes HQ. It's the warmest room in the house (underground) and most of our dedicated emergency supplies are stored there, including blankets, sweaters. (No washroom, just a wash tub and faucet, so that requires a trip upstairs.) Lighting is an issue down there too, so we've have a combination of candles, candle lanterns, oil lamps and battery-powered lighting.

Though we have books AND handheld devices, I suspect the electronics would win until the batteries ran out. We've also stocked a art supply kit and have several activity books, puzzles, lego and board games down there for the kiddo.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#235088 - 11/04/11 11:41 AM Re: There Will Be Snow,Lessons Learned At GroceryStore [Re: Frisket]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
Frisket...kind of a repeat, but I've switched to propane (3) 25# bottles, and away from the Coleman mantle type lamps to refined kero in a couple of Dietz lamps and an easy access LED table light...

with the bulk propane tanks I refill 1# bottles for a 2 burner camp stove or single burner camp stove...or use the adapter hose
Trangia for back up

for heat (2) Mr Heater infra red and (2) Coleman catalytics

Sanyo AA Eneloops with charger and Goal Zero 7w photo voltaic/Goal Zero 10 pack for LED Minimag, Grundig radio,Black Diamond headlamp and power source for cell phone

(2) 12v car batteries for vent fans and digital portable TV

I currently EDC a Fenix E01 with lithium cell

I can usually laugh out loud when I read something by Carl Hiaasen

Edited by LesSnyder (11/04/11 11:43 AM)

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 285 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
0 seconds ago
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
Yesterday at 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.