The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#234994 - 11/02/11 03:32 PM Re: Gear Up Landing [Re: Jesselp]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
LOL, one comment I heard on the news last night was one passenger saying that it was very smooth. She's had rougher landings on planes with the landing gear down! smile

Were there any injuries? I would expect a certain number of injuries just evacuating the passengers down emergency slides.

#235029 - 11/03/11 07:19 AM Re: Gear Up Landing [Re: Jesselp]
Markhk Offline
Stranger

If you realize an emergency landing is imminent, you should immediately adopt the brace position.

In this case, the emergency landing was a prepared one - flight attendants would have been able to brief passengers on their nearest exit, removing eyeglasses, pens, sharp objects from their person , stowing all objects that could become projectiles. Part of the prepared emergency landing briefing is to have all passengers practice the brace position before adopting it about 20 seconds before touchdown. Typically the flight attendants will shout "Brace Brace" or "Bend over, grab your ankles".

However, in an unanticipated emergency - such as a rejected takeoff, runway overrun or other sudden emergency - you may not get any warning from the crew. Properly bracing can dramatically decrease your risk of head injury (i.e. avoid you from becoming unconscious post-crash!) and limb injury. Generally in a forward facing seat, you want to position your head on whatever you are most likely to strike (ie place your forehead on the seatback in front of you if you can reach it). It is best to check the aircraft safety card to see what is the airline's recommended brace position (it's required to be on the card.)

Remember, in the US commercial passenger aircraft have a "16 G Survival rule"...you're supposed to be able to walk away from a 16G crash, and thus seats are actually designed to be energy absorbing. Getting in the brace position enhances your survival chances significantly.

#235042 - 11/03/11 03:29 PM Re: Gear Up Landing [Re: Jesselp]
Jolt Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Maine
A good link with info on surviving a plane crash (I think this may have been where I saw the statistic about distance from exits): http://www.onebag.com/popups/plane-crashes.pdf

#235047 - 11/03/11 04:43 PM Re: Gear Up Landing [Re: Arney]
Unca_Walt Offline

Loc: Floriduh
Originally Posted By: Arney
Does the pilot have the nose pitched up a bit throughout the landing? Looks like all the smoke and dust are coming from the tail section as it slides along the runway.

I don't think there's much to do beyond knowing the standard safety measures that every passenger should familiarize themselves with when they board a flight. Actually, the fact that you "only" have to know that to maximize your chances of surviving are a testament to how safe these planes are.

Did they evacuate everyone using the emergency slides? It's hard to tell from the video. Is that the forward slide deployed, or a stairway, in the video?

Absolutely, Arney. He was flying the plane even AFTER it touched down. The perfect landing (and the pilot did it) means the LAST thing to come down is the nose.

#235048 - 11/03/11 04:57 PM Re: Gear Up Landing [Re: Unca_Walt]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
It appears to me that the attitude is set by three points comprised of the lower rear fuselage and the two engine nacelles. Note that the aircraft has the same attitude once it was stopped. After touching down you can pull on the flight controls all you want, but other forces are in control.

If he had landed on his main landing gear you could watch as the pilot held the nose up until he lost enough airspeed, then the nose falls thru regardless of flight controls. IMO

#235049 - 11/03/11 05:45 PM Re: Gear Up Landing [Re: Russ]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: Russ
It appears to me that the attitude is set by three points comprised of the lower rear fuselage and the two engine nacelles. Note that the aircraft has the same attitude once it was stopped.

I had thought the same thing myself at first except that in the video, I don't see any smoke or sparks coming from the bottom of the nacelles, only from the tail section as it drags along the runway. If the engine nacelles were holding up the weight of the entire front half of the plane, I would expect to see more evidence of it.

Hmm, well, unless perhaps the plane was rolled slightly to the left and it was the nacelle on the other side of the plane--away from the camera--that was bearing the brunt of the weight. I feel like we're dissecting a UFO video now. wink

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (Phaedrus, adam2), 322 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.