Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#234335 - 10/24/11 03:44 PM Re: Hiker lost for 10 day on Grouse Mountain/boots [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
Depends on what you mean by boots. I find simple leather
boots to be colder than running shoes if I am immobile, especially when wet and the leather takes much longer to dry.

Insulated boots or thick dry socks to put on would be another
matter.

#234343 - 10/24/11 05:40 PM Re: Hiker lost for 10 day on Grouse Mountain [Re: MostlyHarmless]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Quote:
I don't think that picture is fresh...

Watch the rescue video in the first link.

He was only going out for the day, so he took a tarp and nothing else?

Why does this entire incident sound so fishy?

Sue

#234348 - 10/24/11 05:58 PM Re: Hiker lost for 10 day on Grouse Mountain [Re: Susan]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
He is described as being significantly dehydrated. How in the world can anyone achieve dehydration in that impossibly well watered country (old desert rat speaking)?

#234350 - 10/24/11 06:09 PM Re: Hiker lost for 10 day on Grouse Mountain [Re: hikermor]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By: hikermor
He is described as being significantly dehydrated. How in the world can anyone achieve dehydration in that impossibly well watered country (old desert rat speaking)?

Easy. Many people don't know how important it is to drink. Even if you do know you may be exhausted to the point where you cease to do the right thing - i.e. to tired to think, too tired to drink.

On a regular day hike it takes a conscious mental effort to drink enough - at least for me. I can very well imagine that the effort required to drink enough is trippled when that day hike turns into a survival episode. Never been there, but there are plenty of stories that confirm that this is actually so.

Edited by MostlyHarmless (10/24/11 06:10 PM)

#234378 - 10/25/11 12:54 AM Re: Hiker lost for 10 day on Grouse Mountain [Re: ]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
If everyone who went outdoors for any length of time did that....we'd never need SAR. But sadly Darwinism is alive and well.

Sadly it is similar statements posted with some unseeingly regularity here, cause me to post and contribute less and less on ETS. I have been following this story on a local forum since the man was reported missing on the 16th and although there is constructive criticisms of the person's actions/in-actions, misguided statements like the above are nowhere to be found...

John Lubbock

#234380 - 10/25/11 01:30 AM Re: Hiker lost for 10 day on Grouse Mountain [Re: Hookpunch]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
This is a case where the rescued man should receive an invoice for the rescue. I compare this case to an ambulance trip I had to take a few years ago. I received an invoice for about $1,200, plus a medical bill. It was an unavoidable emergency and did not involve a helicopter. This guy marched into the woods without reasonable preparation and could have avoided the difficult rescue. How is the guy in this case more worthy of having his bill excused? He's not.

The rescuers should get paid from both invoice payments and tax dollars. I include tax dollars only because there's no way this type of rescue service can be maintained with invoice payments alone.

It has always confused me how some people seem to think the money for a rescue service appears magically. In this economy, if a community has enough money to keep alive this expensive rescue service, then there has got to be misplaced funds in a budget somewhere.

#234389 - 10/25/11 04:22 AM Re: Hiker lost for 10 day on Grouse Mountain [Re: ireckon]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
The issue of payment seems to come up regularly in discussions of rescues on this forum. They seem to often take the general form of 'Well, if you are not going to follow the established rules, then you are negligent and should be penalized." I think that this individual, frost nipped toes and all, has suffered plenty, without bringing finances into the discussion.

Just curious, has anyone on this forum ever spent an extra unplanned ten days in the wilderness. I have been delayed for a day or two on occasion, but nothing like what this guy experienced...

#234401 - 10/25/11 11:18 AM Re: Hiker lost for 10 day on Grouse Mountain [Re: Hookpunch]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I think it should come down to due dilligence (hope I spelled that right, I'm at work so no spell checker), did the person at least make some sort of effort to be prepared.
We went down into southern ohio this weekend (Hocking hills area) and went down a couple short hiking paths. We saw a lot of people hiking in flip flops and tank tops on a posted difficult trail, one lady in a long dress, another carrying a baby. Then you see the others with backpacks and hiking staffs. If I had to rescue someone I think I'd be more inclined to charge the ones in flip flops than the ones that are more prepared.
We get funny looks sometimes due to my 20lbs of Camelbak backpack bu I'd rather go prepared. People do think my 5 year old is pretty cool with his backpack on. Some might think it not to smart of me to take my young kids on a difficult trail but they have already started to get bored on the easier ones.

#234412 - 10/25/11 01:18 PM Re: Hiker lost for 10 day on Grouse Mountain [Re: Eugene]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By: Eugene
Some might think it not to smart of me to take my young kids on a difficult trail

Nonsense! The very best thing a kid can do is challenge difficult terrain.

Granny (78) and Nanny (36), both of which are absolutely terrified of falling, does NOT need to watch. In fact they'd better stay home. We'll come back home to them afterwards, exhausted and happy and more than ready for the tender loving care that they can provide.

Edited by MostlyHarmless (10/25/11 01:19 PM)

#234421 - 10/25/11 03:33 PM Re: Hiker lost for 10 day on Grouse Mountain [Re: Hookpunch]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Mommy (age not specified) wasn't too happy at the time either smile

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 561 Guests and 168 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.