The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#234785 - 10/30/11 05:54 PM Re: The $1 knife [Re: LesSnyder]
LED Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: LesSnyder
OK..I guess I'll post an opposing view..

my Dad grew up in a series of orphanages during the Depression, and worked for a time in the construction industry...he always admonished me to obtain the best tools I could afford, and to save for their purchase rather than an impulse buy...that their purchase would be a lifetime investment

Totally agree. I was given this advice also and it has served me well.

Someone else mentioned Mora knives. I think thats one example where price is NOT a good indicator of quality. I'll take my Mora over a $50 knife any day.

#234803 - 10/31/11 03:28 AM Re: The $1 knife [Re: LED]
Frisket Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: LED
Originally Posted By: LesSnyder
OK..I guess I'll post an opposing view..

my Dad grew up in a series of orphanages during the Depression, and worked for a time in the construction industry...he always admonished me to obtain the best tools I could afford, and to save for their purchase rather than an impulse buy...that their purchase would be a lifetime investment

Totally agree. I was given this advice also and it has served me well.

Someone else mentioned Mora knives. I think thats one example where price is NOT a good indicator of quality. I'll take my Mora over a $50 knife any day.

I saved up and purchased every tool with Plenty of homework and advice from my father who knows a bunch about tools. I now have a respectable Toolbox of high quality tools and a few High quality power tools.

Somtimes waiting for a sale works too for quality items. I purchased a 24 volt Black and decker set of a Cordless drill, Circular saw and flashlight. for 30$ so minus the flashlight i never used I obtained a high quality 24 volt drill when the standard is 18 volt and a circular saw for 15$ each.

#234852 - 10/31/11 07:08 PM Re: The $1 knife [Re: MoBOB]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: MoBOB
Originally Posted By: JeanetteIsabelle

Actually I have for using EMT shears rather than a knife.

I do not want to hijack the thread, but what size EMT shears do you recommend. I am building my Christmas list and CountyComm has a couple of different sizes..... Thanks.

Standard Disclaimer...

Just a caveat about those shears. They're great for medium or heavy materials, but the ones I got tend to make a mess out of the plastic wrap, thread, paracord, and other very mallable materials. Ironically, the cheap braided fishing line scissors (Rapala super line?) from Sports Authority works best for those.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 306 Guests and 138 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.