The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#233937 - 10/18/11 11:11 PM Re: Place for bullet-proof vest? [Re: ireckon]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
If your plan is to get shot and have your body armor absorb it, you need a better plan.

#233940 - 10/18/11 11:23 PM Re: Place for bullet-proof vest? [Re: dweste]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

If I were ever in a situation where I had to shoot somebody to defend myself, if they didn't go down on the first shot and instead made a kind of "gong" sounding noise, the next shot would be to the head. Even if they didn't go clank when I hit 'em, if they didn't go down from a solid chest hit then a head shot would be coming next. In self defence, you don't shoot to wound. You shoot to incapacitate and stop the attack. If they're still standing, they're not incapacitated.

#233941 - 10/18/11 11:47 PM Re: Place for bullet-proof vest? [Re: haertig]
LED Offline
Veteran

We shouldn't assume the OP plans on getting into a gun fight or even carrying a weapon. What if it offers an extra piece of mind? There are instances where wearing a vest may not be a bad idea. Unarmed security guards, business owners who make large cash deposits at night, convenience store workers, etc.

#233996 - 10/19/11 07:19 PM Re: Place for bullet-proof vest? [Re: dweste]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
There probably is a place for a vest, but I agree that it's pretty low-down on a list. I grew up near LA and as a kid I was enamored with having a surplus flak-vest ... never got one, but that should tell you about the TV news coverage at the time.

Having now lived through Philadelphia, Detroit, and Afghanistan, I can tell you that I've never needed a vest. Sure, mandated to wear, but fortunately didn't use.

while most vests have a 5-year life, I'm sure they last longer if seldom worn. It's the moisture and repeated impacts that affect them - maybe UV too, but I assume most folks wear something over them.

that being said, when you need one, you really NEED it!

#234005 - 10/19/11 07:48 PM Re: Place for bullet-proof vest? [Re: NightHiker]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: NightHiker
Originally Posted By: haertig
If your plan is to get shot and have your body armor absorb it, you need a better plan.

I agree that's a horrible plan but on the other hand I don't plan on going in the water when I'm canoeing but I still wear a floatation vest.

The same could be said for wearing a gas mask around town as well. I think the "likely benefit" vs. the cost, weight and hassle of both these items lean towards leaving them out of your daily wardrobe or even your bug out kit. But that's just my opinion. I'm sure I carry lots of stuff that some would scratch their heads in wonder about.

#234006 - 10/19/11 08:04 PM Re: Place for bullet-proof vest? [Re: dweste]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Maybe I just lack imagination, but it's hard for me to think of a disaster situation where I'd wear a vest on a regular basis except a complete, prolonged breakdown of order. I'm more worried about tornadoes, power outages, etc.

I don't think we need to rule out anything, even a bullet-proof vest, but this is really just a matter of priority for me. For the same amount of money, you could get other things that you're far more likely to use. Heck, I need to improve my emergency water supply, and I get thirsty fast!

My guess is that if you might need a vest, you'd probably know already.

DB

#234031 - 10/20/11 03:25 AM Re: Place for bullet-proof vest? [Re: Bingley]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
Originally Posted By: Bingley
this is really just a matter of priority for me. For the same amount of money, you could get other things that you're far more likely to use.

That's my thought as well. Good body armor is expensive. Unless you plan on wearing it all the time to get your monies worth, it's pretty low on the priority list for the average person.

I actually own a plate carrier and hard plates, which were a gift from a friend. Yea, they're neat to have. However, I don't even keep them with my bug-out gear. They're heavy, bulky, and annoying to wear with a backpack. At the end of the day, I'd rather carry an extra 15lbs of food and water than 15 pounds of hard armor.

#234038 - 10/20/11 06:19 AM Re: Place for bullet-proof vest? [Re: dweste]
firefly99 Offline
Journeyman

The objective of a bullet proof vest is to prevent stray bullets from killing you in a freak accident.

If you are targetted with a red dot or looking down a dark barrel. Better get out of the line of fire, take cover. Do not depend on the vest to save you.

#234087 - 10/20/11 08:32 PM Re: Place for bullet-proof vest? [Re: firefly99]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: firefly99
The objective of a bullet proof vest is to prevent stray bullets from killing you in a freak accident.

??? confused

#234092 - 10/20/11 10:29 PM Re: Place for bullet-proof vest? [Re: dweste]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Where i come from, bullet proof vests are used to stop rounds aimed intentionally at one's center of mass; hopefully, the rating of the vest will exceed the strength of the round employed.

i believe in most departments these days, bullet proof vests are worn routinely when on patrol.

They don't always work. Just before I retired, I donated two weeks leave to the widow of a ranger who caught an AK-47 round that sneaked in between the seams of his vest.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle, Eugene), 540 Guests and 140 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.