Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#234212 - 10/22/11 08:56 PM Re: Generator Autothrottle Vs. Refrigerator [Re: MartinFocazio]
wileycoyote Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: north central west TX
maybe i'm slow, but i don't get it:

for a quarter century, we've lived off the grid on solar. because town is hours away, we only go once a month (or every other month in winter) for supplies. we just have a tiny propane frig (with mini top-freezer) to hold fresh milk, eggs, butter, cheese, veggies and maybe some ice cream as a special treat. most foods we have don't need refrigeration.

seeing that most people live within a few minutes of a supermarket, what's the point of keeping so much food in your huge personal refrigerators and freezers?

in other words, i'm wondering why you need to have so much perishable "stuff" on hand, that then requires expensive generators & fuel to protect it once the power goes out?

please explain.

#234215 - 10/22/11 09:36 PM Re: Generator Autothrottle Vs. Refrigerator [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: JeanetteIsabelle
I have one for my computer, which uses a laser printer, and I have no problem with it.

Some UPSes have power outlets that go directly to line power. Is your laser printer plugged in to one of those? I'd be interested to know what make and model of laser printer and UPS you're using.

#234225 - 10/23/11 12:41 AM Re: Generator Autothrottle Vs. Refrigerator [Re: chaosmagnet]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
I have one for my computer, which uses a laser printer, and I have no problem with it.

Some UPSes have power outlets that go directly to line power. Is your laser printer plugged in to one of those? I'd be interested to know what make and model of laser printer and UPS you're using.

I have the APC Back-UPS BN1250LCD and the HP LaserJet P1005 Printer.

Jeanette Isabelle

#234226 - 10/23/11 01:00 AM Re: Generator Autothrottle Vs. Refrigerator [Re: wileycoyote]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: wileycoyote
in other words, i'm wondering why you need to have so much perishable "stuff" on hand, that then requires expensive generators & fuel to protect it once the power goes out?

Some people need refrigerated medicine to survive. I'm glad to say that this isn't an issue we have.

What we do have is three kids who consume a lot of dairy. As a family we eat a lot of beef, pork and poultry. I really don't want to go to the grocery every day or every other day. In addition to the time efficiency of limiting my grocery trips, there's also the economic efficiency of buying larger quantities at Costco.

I just bought a generator; it's so new that I haven't even started it yet. Tomorrow will be Generator Test and Break In Day.

While I wouldn't turn up my nose at keeping my refrigerator or freezer working, the main reason I bought it is to keep my house from flooding. During the Spring and Summer, if we have a big storm with a lot of rain and the power goes out, I'll plug the sump pumps into the generator. During the Winter, I'll be able to supply the furnace with juice to keep the pipes from freezing, at least if the natural gas doesn't go out.

#234227 - 10/23/11 01:15 AM Re: Generator Autothrottle Vs. Refrigerator [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

I have the APC Back-UPS BN1250LCD and the HP LaserJet P1005 Printer.

APC makes excellent gear, and that's a particularly good UPS for SOHO use.

On the back of it there are two outlets marked "SURGE ONLY" and bear ideograms of a printer and what looks like a scanner. If your printer is plugged into one of those ports, then it isn't backed up by the battery and won't kill the UPS.

#234249 - 10/23/11 02:35 PM Re: Generator Autothrottle Vs. Refrigerator [Re: chaosmagnet]
wileycoyote Offline
Enthusiast

Some people need refrigerated medicine to survive. I'm glad to say that this isn't an issue we have.

What we do have is three kids who consume a lot of dairy. As a family we eat a lot of beef, pork and poultry. I really don't want to go to the grocery every day or every other day. In addition to the time efficiency of limiting my grocery trips, there's also the economic efficiency of buying larger quantities at Costco.

I just bought a generator; it's so new that I haven't even started it yet. Tomorrow will be Generator Test and Break In Day.

While I wouldn't turn up my nose at keeping my refrigerator or freezer working, the main reason I bought it is to keep my house from flooding. During the Spring and Summer, if we have a big storm with a lot of rain and the power goes out, I'll plug the sump pumps into the generator. During the Winter, I'll be able to supply the furnace with juice to keep the pipes from freezing, at least if the natural gas doesn't go out.

thnx for the insights CS. i've always valued your comments.

i wasn't including medicine refrigeration in my question, that's a necessity and a given. and i suspect a tiny propane RV frig (that uses a 1/2 gallon fuel per day) could handle that problem.

and like everyone here, i too have a generator (a small honda eu2000i) for emergency back-up that would do perfectly for running little things a sump pump, lights and battery charging. on the ECO mode it can run 16 hours on a gallon.

but its the need for huge generators that i question, the ones that suck nearly a gallon a hour as suggested above. that just seems a bit out of balance to keep a box cold. and at today's fuel prices, that $100 in fuel per day.

i'm not slamming anyone here, just suggesting: less is more.

#234251 - 10/23/11 03:15 PM Re: Generator Autothrottle Vs. Refrigerator [Re: wileycoyote]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

i've always valued your comments.

I try to only post when I'm sober laugh.

Quote:
i wasn't including medicine refrigeration in my question, that's a necessity and a given. and i suspect a tiny propane RV frig (that uses a 1/2 gallon fuel per day) could handle that problem.

That would be a kick-ass backup for that sort of thing.

Quote:
and like everyone here, i too have a generator (a small honda eu2000i) for emergency back-up that would do perfectly for running little things a sump pump, lights and battery charging. on the ECO mode it can run 16 hours on a gallon.

My CERT has an EU2000i, and for a small generator it is the cat's meow. It's an inverter-based generator so it provides very clean power for electronics. Be aware, though, that one sump pump is likely all it can handle. Sump pumps have very large startup loads.

I have two sump pumps, and I didn't have $900+ to spend on this. Cabela's had a sale on a 3500W running/4000W startup load generator, and I got that. I have it running now to break it in as per the manual, and so far so good. Supposedly it will run for 12 hours at 50% load on 4 gallons of gas.

Quote:
but its the need for huge generators that i question, the ones that suck nearly a gallon a hour as suggested above. that just seems a bit out of balance to keep a box cold. and at today's fuel prices, that $100 in fuel per day.

Makes sense.

#234253 - 10/23/11 03:25 PM Re: Generator Autothrottle Vs. Refrigerator [Re: wileycoyote]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland

thnx for the insights CS. i've always valued your comments.

Also add to list the need to power medical devices and equipment. Most don't take a great deal of power, but you need long run times and reliability.

#234257 - 10/23/11 05:23 PM Re: Generator Autothrottle Vs. Refrigerator [Re: MartinFocazio]
wileycoyote Offline
Enthusiast

well done, chaosmagnet.

Quote:

Also add to list the need to power medical devices and equipment. Most don't take a great deal of power, but you need long run times and reliability.

bws48,

i have a buddy who comes to visit and stays in our separate tiny solar-powered guest trailer (an old 1960's remodeled campy-looking thing).

he needs a cpap machine and we found that it can run all night on just the solar system consisting of a 100 watt invertor, a 35 watt panel and a deep-cycle golf cart battery.

he can run it as long as he's here, if there's some sun to recharge it each day. (when there isn't, my honda is used to recharge the battery in no-time. or extra batteries could always be added if it was a more serious concern.)

he liked the system so much, he built his own for taking car-camping with his family. in particular they like the fact that there's no noise or smell to bother anyone, unlike the generator he used to use.

something like this might be all that's needed for what you indicated. and its far cheaper to set up than a generator.

#234287 - 10/24/11 12:17 AM Re: Generator Autothrottle Vs. Refrigerator [Re: wileycoyote]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

it can run all night on just the solar system consisting of a 100 watt invertor, a 35 watt panel and a deep-cycle golf cart battery.

Quote:
something like this might be all that's needed for what you indicated. and its far cheaper to set up than a generator.

Would you mind posting about how you put it together? I don't know where to find a 35 Watt solar panel that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 498 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
38 minutes 48 seconds ago
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.