Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#234067 - 10/20/11 05:01 PM Re: Mental health first aid? [Re: dweste]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: dweste
My limited experience suggests that the "two-type-of-people" analysis...does not seem to make sense for long in the real world. [emphasis mine]

Although it may generally be true that you can put people in two camps in response to some sudden and major event, I agree that longer-term, there are all sorts of different ways and timelines that people react and recover. That's why something like MHFA is not just for the minutes and hours immediately after some event since the worst emotional/psychological crises may not appear until much later.

And for non-disaster crises related to mental illness, substance abuse, etc. those can spring up anytime.

And I'll just throw this out since it just happened to pop into my head just now. I remember reading not long ago that in general, the mentally ill tend to be no more violent towards others than "normal" people. However, their odd behavior or lack of expected responses may lead surrounding people to act or talk in ways that provoke them to violence. So, it's important to be able to identify these situations and know the appropriate way to handle them otherwise "bad things happen".

A recent police scandal here in Fullerton, CA is when a schizophrenic guy had trouble complying with officers' orders and was beaten and killed even though audio and video show that he was no immediate threat to anyone. The officers will stand trial for murder and manslaughter. Could MHFA-type training turned this situation into something totally different? Perhaps. The Memphis Police Department's Crisis Intervention Team program seems to be the model for training officers to deal with the mentally ill and other people in emotional crises in a safe and humane manner, so it can be done. I remember watching a segment about CIT on...maybe 60 Minutes?--a long time ago and being very impressed. There's no reason why civilians shouldn't also get similar training since we're usually the people who initially have to deal with people in crises.

#234068 - 10/20/11 05:21 PM Re: Mental health first aid? [Re: Arney]
Bingley Online   content
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Arney
And I'll just throw this out since it just happened to pop into my head just now. I remember reading not long ago that in general, the mentally ill tend to be no more violent towards others than "normal" people. However, their odd behavior or lack of expected responses may lead surrounding people to act or talk in ways that provoke them to violence. So, it's important to be able to identify these situations and know the appropriate way to handle them otherwise "bad things happen".

A recent police scandal here in Fullerton, CA is when a schizophrenic guy had trouble complying with officers' orders and was beaten and killed even though audio and video show that he was no immediate threat to anyone. The officers will stand trial for murder and manslaughter. Could MHFA-type training turned this situation into something totally different? Perhaps.

Most people, when thinking about survival situations, tend to associate "mentally ill" with violent, crazy people. In reality, many of the mentally ill suffer from a whole array of disorders, many of which are not violent at all. In such cases we don't need to worry about ourselves as much as about them. The software problem diminishes the survival chances of these patients. Imagine a clinically depressed man in a disaster. It would be even more of a challenge for him to get through it, on top of the emotional hammering that he gets every second. If we have the energy to help others, we may be able to help such people by identifying them and by giving them hope. Instead of thinking, "Man, this guy is just a demoralization machine and he doesn't want to do anything to help himself," try and realize it's his illness talking. Light cases may need a bit of understanding, sympathy, and encouragement. Sever cases may need really direct intervention.

I hate having to say this, because all the police officers I know personally are outstanding men who entered their profession out of a sincere desire to protect the citizenry, but as for the Fullerton police scandal, I do not think MHFA training would have made a difference. All reports indicate that the police officers deliberately beat the man to death, disgracing their uniform. Why? Because he was a vagrant that nobody cared about, or at least not until he got on Youtube. This seems like an issue separate from what we're talking about. If we want to make it relevant: maybe MHFA could help the officers' colleagues figure out that they need some therapy before they can serve and protect us civilians.

DB

#234076 - 10/20/11 06:22 PM Re: Mental health first aid? [Re: Bingley]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Bingley
I do not think MHFA training would have made a difference. All reports indicate that the police officers deliberately beat the man to death, disgracing their uniform. Why? Because he was a vagrant that nobody cared about, or at least not until he got on Youtube.

Well, this is just speculation. None of us knows what went through anyone's head. But from what I have read, the officer was angry that the victim (who is schizophrenic) did not comply with his orders as he was sitting on a bus stop bench. At that point, the officer held his fists in front of the victim's face and angrily said, "Now see my fists? They are getting ready to F*** you up!" Then the beat down started.

Who knows, maybe this officer would've done the same thing with a white, elderly guy who didn't comply because his hearing was bad, or a clean cut tough guy who was stubborn and just wanted to ignore the officer, but it seems to me that the lack of compliance and the indignation that the officer apparently felt is what triggered him and not necessarily the homeless part. However, if an officer understands that someone who has some degree of cognitive impairment may not respond to commands or may not really understand what the commands are, hopefully would not get angry enough to do something like that if he recognizes that in someone. So, that's the context in which I am wondering if MHFA might've made a difference.

Again, just speculation, but that was what I thought about that case. We have a pretty defiant, don't-tell-me-what-to-do(-or-I'll-sue!, or-I'll-cap-your-a**!) culture nowadays and I'm sure there are many people in general, not just police, who get really angry about that at times. Now we get so easily angered that we often times fail to consider legitimate reasons why people don't do what we want/expect them to do.

Edited by Arney (10/20/11 06:49 PM)

#234126 - 10/21/11 05:22 AM Re: Mental health first aid? [Re: dweste]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Some people seem to put themselves into situations because of the 'perks':

Child molesters make a point of putting them where children are: Scouts, clubs, schools, etc.

Politicians put themselves where they can have power.

And you know that some cops put themselves in that job for the power they can wield over people. You know the police departments know that, and try to keep them out or weed them out, but sociopaths and psychopaths can be good actors and excellent manipulators. After all, they've been practicing all their lives.

Sue

#234148 - 10/21/11 03:58 PM Re: Mental health first aid? [Re: Susan]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Susan
...sociopaths and psychopaths can be good actors and excellent manipulators. After all, they've been practicing all their lives.

They get a better bang for their buck climbing the corporate ladder and becoming CEO's.

#234434 - 10/25/11 08:05 PM Re: Mental health first aid? [Re: Arney]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
This topic is important, but it is also a huge area in which we lack the proper terms for describing what we're dealing with. I am absolutely no expert on any medical issue including mental health care, but I try to learn more about what I think is important.

Here's some reflections on "self medication" mental healt care and first aid:

My quick taste of unemployment (9 months) started as a cool volintarily "in between jobs" experience (fun, challenging and educating experience as a proactive job hunter) and ended with symptoms that really should have triggered the "depression" diagnosis. At that point, I literaly crawled back to my old job to build myself up. I always had my old job as a lifeline, and no substantial financial worries. Lots of unemployed don't.

More than 10 years later and after a case of burnout syndrome in close family I am finally able to learn something: Your self esteem is important, and you should actively build it, expand it and make it stronger. Allow bad times (such as unemployment) to erode your sense of self esteem and you unleash all kind of trouble. Your self esteem is not about your job, your status or financial situation. Your self esteem is all about what you think about yourself, how you value yourself.

I sincerely believe that a robust mental health is important to help you live a good life in good times and keep you floating through bad times. We all have collected different kind of emotional luggage and wreckage through the years. Each of us have to find the tools to deal with that.

Mentally speaking, you are able to control far much more about yourself than you ever can imagine. You can convince yourself to change religion, political opinion or a bunch of other stuff. I think you also can also willingly chose to have the attitude that enables you to come through though times. And you have the power to control how you think about yourself and build your self esteem.

What about mental first aid for others?

You tell me - I want to know... wink

For dealing with people that clearly are out of it I highly recommend the book "Verbal Judo: The Gentle Art of Persuasion." by George Thompson. His book was written for police officers, but the same techniques are applicable for any situation, including not letting domestic disputes escalate into a shouting match.

An important aspect in this book is empathy: You really try to understand what the other person wants and why he's upset. Having someone who actually is willing to LISTEN is a great thing in itself. It also provides valuable info if there's other actions that could help (quite often, listening IS the solution).

There's all kind of info available about how people react in a disaster - Susan posted some links that I think are quite relevant.

I think it is highly valuable to learn something about how the body physically and mentally reacts to an extreme stress situation. My best read on this subject has been "On Combat: The Psychology and Physiology of Deadly Conflict in War and Peace" by Dave Grossman. If I should sum that book up in a mental first aid perspective it would be that people who have witnessed traumatic situations need someone who can listen to them (pain shared is pain divided) and then tell them that their reactions are perfectly normal.

Edited by MostlyHarmless (10/25/11 08:06 PM)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 151 Guests and 34 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by chaosmagnet
Yesterday at 06:13 PM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.