Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#234 - 02/27/01 09:21 PM Platypus collapsible water bottles
Craig Offline

Loc: Collegeville, PA, USA
Has anyone tried a Platypus collapsible water bottle? I was wondering how well they actually worked.<br><br>They're available from http://www.magellans.com/. Access the URL and search on "Platypus."<br><br>The blurb says: "It's made of durable plastic laminate that is guaranteed not to leak or flavor your water. It's guaranteed to save space, too, rolled-up and tucked into your pocket or pouch when empty."<br><br>They might make a good accessory for a PUR Scout.<br><br>

#235 - 02/27/01 10:25 PM Re: Platypus collapsible water bottles
hthomp Offline
Outdorus Fanaticas
Journeyman

Loc: AR
Craig,<br>I have two of them. Both are quart sized, one has a regular screw cap and the other has a pull to open, push to close drinking cap similar to a Gatorade bottle. I have not toted them around full, much. I usually keep them in a fanny pack or survival kit as a backup container for my various canteens/Nalgene bottles, etc. They seem to be of pretty good quality, though....heavy plastic, and good seams.<br><br>

#236 - 02/28/01 02:39 PM Re: Platypus collapsible water bottles
Anonymous
Unregistered

Have used them extensively, I am happy with how they work and the fact they store pretty compactly when empty. For a wider selection and possibly better pricing try Campmor at www.campmor.com<br><br>

#237 - 02/28/01 02:47 PM Re: Platypus collapsible water bottles
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have not used their water bottles but I do have one of their Camelback look like models. I have used it successfully. The clip to keep the drinking straw in place on your shoulder is pretty poor. <br><br>I had planned on getting a real camelback but I needed one the next day and the nearest store did not have the camelback brand.<br><br>

#238 - 02/28/01 04:41 PM Re: Platypus collapsible water bottles
AndyO Offline

Loc: Jawja
They work pretty well, but they will crack when folded at the same crease excessively. My favorite models are the ones made for hydration systems where the spout is off to one side. This allows for more convenient stowage. I currently have a 1L and a 2.5L platypus like this. The one liter with a drinking hose is especially handy for long, hot bicycle rides (road) where the traditional "roadies" generally frown upon camelbacks (I must maintain appearances!). The one liter just slips into a jersey pocket. The moral of the story is that it is very effective, very versitile and very compact! As for plain durability, Camelback brand bladders are by far the most durable. In fact, Camelback now supplies hydration systems for the US military. Camelback invented the "hydration system" industry and they lead it in terms of quality and market share by a healthy margin. Go to their website as this might expand your thinking... www.camelback.com<br><br>

#239 - 08/08/01 05:31 PM Re: Platypus collapsible water bottles
Anonymous
Unregistered

I, too, prefer the 1.2 liter size with the spout off to one side, for the same reason. I use them a lot when traveling, to put up some water to have on a plane or train, whereas for other activities I would use my Nalgene bottles and Camelbak. The Platypus bags work great, and spare me from trying to hunt up the military bags when someone needs a kit. For that use, they are preferable to the 1 pint water receptacle bag of the SRU-31/p kit on capacity alone, I think they are more durable, and they are as easily packable. The vinyl 3 pint and 5 quart military drinking water storage bags are great items, but bulky for a small kit. I do worry about the Platy bags cracking, but used for an emergency, I think they will be fine. I pack them flat. The only untoward experience I have had with them was this: my sister and brother-in-law had one either melt or partially burn (I don't recall) inside a duffle bag in the hold of a plane in Russia. Don't know why. Everything else was okay. I have been using Camelbaks for a long time (I cycle) and swear by them for all sort of activities. I have two Camelbaks and a Pakteen. Great invention. The mil bags have a large opening that can be useful for collecting water. The old original jungle canteens had a very good vinyl bladder, but I had trouble with the caps not sealing; the knockoffs have a better cap and a poorer bladder.<br><br>

#240 - 08/12/01 06:19 AM Re: Platypus collapsible water bottles
rthompson Offline

Loc: Kentucky, USA
I carry two patypus 1l and haven't but one problem. After much use one of them developed a leak at the top. I contacted cascade design and they replace it without question. I have frozen the without any damage. I also like the fact that you can remove the air as they get empty to prevent sloshing.<br><br>

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 259 Guests and 24 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
Today at 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.