Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#233330 - 10/07/11 12:39 AM Re: Caldera Cone vs. Clikstand Alcohol Stove Tests [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Here is a comparable setup using a propane/butane gas burner setup
Hi Gear Blaze Titanium Gas Stove 49g
Primus Clip-On stove windscreen 60g
Primus Stove Foot Rest 22g
Alpkit MytiPot 1350ml pot + lid (doubles as frypan) + handle 172g
100 g Gas Cartridge 165g
Total - 468 g

The Primus clip-on windscreen is mostly open and isn't much of a windscreen.

There isn't a vast weight difference between a small gas burner and an alcohol stove, but there is a vast difference between the wind protection of something like a Caldera Cone (very good) and a Primus clip-on (particularly poor). There are other windscreen options for small gas burners that will give you better coverage. I've got some listed on my blog: Windscreens

Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Alcohol stoves aren't really considerably lighter except for the occasional single overnight stay where the liquid alcohol fuel weight can be dialed in specifically for that 1-2 day trip. Even then the weight difference of less than 100g still doesn't really outweigh the other major advantages of using a gas burner.
I've seen a lot of different sets of numbers from guys doing actual cooking on the trail. In general, the break even point seems to be about 5 to 7 person days. If you're out for less than that, an alcohol stove is lighter. If you're out for more than that, a gas stove is lighter.

But they're pretty close. Some of it comes down to personal preference, and just how much emphasis you put on weight. There are "gram weenies" out there for whom a 10g difference is a big deal, and they're willing to do the work to shed those 10g.

Alcohol stoves generally fit my approach to cooking while backpacking (KISS), and I like that the Caldera Cone is efficient and consistent.

Small gas stoves excel in speed, flame control, and convenience, but they generally suck in wind. The Caldera Cone excels in wind. I was camped a couple of weeks ago at 10,500'/3200m. It was windy. I was really glad I had brought the Caldera Cone and not a little gas stove.

HJ

#233331 - 10/07/11 12:53 AM Re: Caldera Cone vs. Clikstand Alcohol Stove Tests [Re: hikermor]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: hikermor
The rule of thumb seems to be that for trips of a week or so, a well managed cartridge stove is as light as any alcohol rig.
Ha! I should have read your post before I responded to Am_Fear_Liath_Mor. Yes, that's my understanding too. About a week is the dividing line. For long distance "through hikers," they often plan on a resupply once a week, and they do the entire AT, CDT, or PCT with an alcohol stove.

I suspect a lot of us have both cartridge stoves and some variety of alcohol as well, vacillating between them depending upon the trip, along with a white gas/kerosene rig for really cold excursions.
Yep. Guilty as charged. I use white gas sometimes too just cause it's cheap. I go out on night hikes a lot where we do a pot luck. If I'm heating water for twenty five people, I might be heating over a gallon (4 liters) of water. It's nice just to use white gas and not worry about the cost.

For utter simplicity and rock solid dependability, it is hard to beat a Trangia when you absolutely, positively need to brew up a nice cup of tea with no fuss or bother.
A Trangia is nice burner. They're pretty efficient but do OK on the speed aspect too. I think they're a nice balance. A little heavy compared to aluminum can stoves, but solid, and you can actually cook on them if you use the simmer ring.

The Trangia set up is known for using more alcohol in windy conditions. While it's known for working well in wind, it uses fuel fairly quickly under such conditions. The Caldera Cone is known for being consistently efficient even in wind. Of course, if you're not counting grams and have plenty of fuel, you may want that faster boil time.

There are lot of good stove options out there. The stove you choose will depend a lot of your circumstances, your style, and your preferences.

HJ

#233333 - 10/07/11 07:15 AM Re: Caldera Cone vs. Clikstand Alcohol Stove Tests [Re: Hikin_Jim]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By: Hikin_Jim

The rule of thumb seems to be that for trips of a week or so, a well managed cartridge stove is as light as any alcohol rig.

Ha! I should have read your post before I responded to Am_Fear_Liath_Mor. Yes, that's my understanding too. About a week is the dividing line.

What seems to be the verdict for when it would be optimum to choose white gas/kerosene stove system? Then it's not only the weight that counts, but also the bulk of all those canisters.

For me, it is merely intellectual curiosity - I choose stove system based on the performance I want. I hardly use alcohol for anything else than priming, but it is my canister system that sees the most use.

#233336 - 10/07/11 10:32 AM Re: Caldera Cone vs. Clikstand Alcohol Stove Tests [Re: MostlyHarmless]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
The liquid systems come to the fore when the mercury plummets or you are doing extensive cooking, melting snow, feeding a large group, or the like. As I age, the likelihood of me venturing out in severe conditions becomes more and more theoretical, so I use my cartridge and alcohol rigs more and more on the balmy days when I venture forth.

My liquid fuel stove is more and more of a museum piece, kept around for the potential disaster, along with the Coleman two burner car camping stove, adaptable to run on propane. That way I can burn whatever is handy.

In practice, the bulk of the canisters is not that big an issue, since one large canister will typically last a week or so in normal usage.

#233546 - 10/12/11 12:59 AM Re: Caldera Cone vs. Clikstand Alcohol Stove Tests [Re: MostlyHarmless]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: MostlyHarmless

What seems to be the verdict for when it would be optimum to choose white gas/kerosene stove system? Then it's not only the weight that counts, but also the bulk of all those canisters.
hikermor summed it up pretty well, but here's my take:

The only time you need a petroleum based liquid fueled stove is when it's really cold. There are gas stoves that will work below 0F/-18C (particularly if you do things to warm the canister), but in general 0F/-18C is sort of my dividing line between appropriate use of a winter capable gas stove vs. a liquid fueled stove.

Other reasons to use a liquid fueled stove:
  • Motor touring. Liquid fuel is pretty popular with long distance motorcyclists for example. They can just pull a little unleaded out of their tanks and run their stove.
  • International travel. Kerosene is the international stove fuel and is pretty available world wide. Av gas and unleaded automotive gas are also available in many areas where threaded backpacking canisters are not.
  • "Sustainability." Canisters take a lot to manufacture and are single use. Even if you recycle them, there's still a much greater impact than buying liquid fuel bottle that will last a lifetime (or more)
  • KISS (keep it simple, sweetheart). If don't want to have "gear proliferation" and want one stove for all four seasons, liquid fuel is the way to go.
  • High volume use. Liquid fuel is still the cheapest fuel. For people that use their stoves a lot, it's a good option. A four ounce canister of gas costs about $5.00. The equivalent amount of white gasoline? About $0.30.
  • Nostalgia. Seriously! I've still got my uncle's 1962 Primus 71 stove. It's all brass, and it's highly cool. I'm not going to stop using that or my ultra-cool Svea 123 just because gas is a bit more convenient! Get real!

HJ

#233554 - 10/12/11 04:03 AM Re: Caldera Cone vs. Clikstand Alcohol Stove Tests [Re: Hikin_Jim]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: Hikin_Jim
The only time you need a petroleum based liquid fueled stove is when it's really cold.
I recently bought a jetboil SOL, and tried it out for the first time a couple of weeks ago. I already love it for its speed and convenience for summer camping. Coffee in the morning is definately a survival item for me. wink

However, given the part of the country where I live, where it has been known to get "really cold" (now and then), I think I will also keep my white gas whisperlite in good working order!

#233592 - 10/12/11 09:02 PM Re: Caldera Cone vs. Clikstand Alcohol Stove Tests [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

The other nice thing about the Jetboil is that it's a lot more wind resistant than most upright canister stoves. I really do like my Jetboil, and truth be known, I've used it more on my backpacks over the last 5 years than any of my other stoves. BUT, like you say, for cold weather use, I'm not bringing a JB. I used a Dragonfly on my last snow camp.

HJ

#233594 - 10/12/11 09:30 PM Re: Caldera Cone vs. Clikstand Alcohol Stove Tests [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Outdoor_Quest Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Central Oregon
Another excellent article.

Blake

www.outdoorquest.biz

#233606 - 10/13/11 02:12 AM Re: Caldera Cone vs. Clikstand Alcohol Stove Tests [Re: Outdoor_Quest]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Thanks, Blake.

I hope to have more Clikstand info posted soon.

HJ

#233670 - 10/13/11 06:15 PM Re: Caldera Cone vs. Clikstand Alcohol Stove Tests [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

As promised, more information on the Clikstand.

HJ

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Eugene), 546 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Today at 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Yesterday at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.