Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#232847 - 09/27/11 05:51 PM Re: ETS Server Dying [Re: Doug_Ritter]
ajax Offline

No one has really asked but could you be more specific about what's ailing the server? If it's just the drive's then why not mirror and replace them?

If the issue is the OS then why not migrate the sites to a Linux platform? Linux and the web-serving software, Apache, are both open source (free) and stable as all hell. The majority of the world's websites run on Linux servers and Apache Tomcat. Linux requires so little from computer resources that even old 486 machines still make serviceable servers.

If the administration of the site is the issue then I think a membership fee, even a voluntary one, would be a great idea. I'm barely more than a troll on these forums and I would easily commit $20 a year to a membership. Offering trinkets or coupons to members on DR or ETS gear would be a great incentive and possible sales engine for ETS.

Edited by ajax (09/27/11 05:55 PM)

#232851 - 09/27/11 06:08 PM Re: ETS Server Dying [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: Doug_Ritter
It appears the ETS server is dying. One drive is dead, and another is flaky and if it goes we are down. The server is 5 years old anyway. We are looking at our options. The server not only hosts ETS, it also hosts Knife Rights and all our email as well. Since the beginning this has been provided gratis by Dave Pulver who is no longer really in that business and it is probably time to move on.

It sounds like a hardware issue. You specifically mentioned the hard drives. Have you considered replacing the hard drive(s)? Would anyone at location know how to install a new hard drive?

If not, I have an older computer I am not using and I am willing to ship it to you free of charge if you could use it. I checked the requirements for Ubuntu 10.04 LTS Server Edition and the machine meets those requirements.

Here are the specifications of the computer.

1400MHz Pentium 4, 133MHz FSB
1GB 133MHz SDRAM
120GB ATA hard drive

I could add a second hard drive if you need it. The second hard drive would be smaller.

Jeanette Isabelle

#232853 - 09/27/11 06:27 PM Re: ETS Server Dying [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Replacing the hard drives isn't quite so simple. Just getting myself into the high security server farm is a major big deal. The drives are hot swappable, so that should be easy, but Dave definitely doesn't want me screwing with his server stack. He knows me too well. <g>

The good news is that it now appears that Dave has decided we don't need me freaking out, <g> and he'll find time somehow to do it this week and is getting the drives ordered for delivery tomorrow. So, the immediate crisis seems to be resolving itself, thankfully, though we agree we need to find a long term solution.

Dave wants out of the hosting "business" which he sold off years ago. He has supported ETS and KR 100% free for 15 years now. We need to find an affordable and maintainable solution. I think we are done with hosting on "our own" server.
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#232856 - 09/27/11 06:44 PM Re: ETS Server Dying [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: Doug_Ritter
Replacing the hard drives isn't quite so simple. Just getting myself into the high security server farm is a major big deal. The drives are hot swappable, so that should be easy, but Dave definitely doesn't want me screwing with his server stack. He knows me too well. <g>

Ah, it sounds like you are using SCSI hard drives. Quite logical, actually. I worked with them too. Mounting and unmounting drives are not difficult in Linux systems.

We live in different states so I would not be able to help.

Jeanette Isabelle

#232870 - 09/27/11 10:43 PM Re: ETS Server Dying [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
I'll be happy to contribute money for nothing more than,Keeping this Braintrust alive!Coupons/Incentives/etc. not required!Doug,I realize you've never been good at just coming out & asking for funds,So just say when/where/how!

#232872 - 09/27/11 10:56 PM Re: ETS Server Dying [Re: Doug_Ritter]
TimDex Offline
Journeyman

Loc: New York State
There are a lot of people who regard this site as invaluable and would be happy to help. Tim W.

#232874 - 09/27/11 11:11 PM Re: ETS Server Dying [Re: Doug_Ritter]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Let me second Martin: Pair.com is outstanding. I've done business with them for many years.

Let me second him again: server migrations aren't easy.

For less money there's also http://www.nosupportlinuxhosting.com/. I'm sure I'm not the only person here who is an IT professional and willing to donate time to help out.

#232899 - 09/28/11 09:38 AM Re: ETS Server Dying [Re: Richlacal]
Reddave Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: Richlacal
I'll be happy to contribute money for nothing more than,Keeping this Braintrust alive!Coupons/Incentives/etc. not required!Doug,I realize you've never been good at just coming out & asking for funds,So just say when/where/how!

me too

#232902 - 09/28/11 11:08 AM Re: ETS Server Dying [Re: Richlacal]
airballrad Offline
Gear Junkie
Enthusiast

Loc: Gulf Coast Florida, USA
I'm a contributing member on other forums I frequent; I'd be delighted to do the same here.

#232903 - 09/28/11 11:11 AM Re: ETS Server Dying [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I too would be honored to step up and help with a contribution. This site is unique on the WWW.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 220 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by brandtb
Yesterday at 10:50 PM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.