Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#232952 - 09/29/11 12:22 PM Re: Best way to cross barbed wire fence? [Re: Eugene]
Paul D. Offline

Loc: Porkopolis
Originally Posted By: Eugene
Probably enough adrenalin from being chased that you went over the fence without touching it. When I was in shape I could put my hands on the top of a post and jump over .

That's pretty much it.

Growing up where I did, we spent a lot of time tramping through cow and horse filled pasture trying to get to good ponds or creeks for fishing (or just hanging out), so we always scoped a field out closely before entering. Regardless of that effort, the bull would always appear from a small depression or group of trees. Usually it was kind of funny, but there has got to be an equation describing the relationship between the nearness of snorting bull and lack of humor.

I have to say that we trespassed like crazy as kids, but would have never thought to damage someone's fence. I'm pretty positive Dad would have wore me out. Never damage a fence, always close the gate. He wasn't too pleased about trespassing, but new the draw of Elkhorn Creek was too strong.

Seriously, there's no reason to cut a farm fence. shocked

#232954 - 09/29/11 03:09 PM Re: Best way to cross barbed wire fence? [Re: dweste]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By: dweste
Originally Posted By: unimogbert
Humans can fly. But only for short distances..... :-)

And with limited directional control.

Nah, flying's easy. Landing gracefully is the real hard part wink

#233095 - 10/01/11 10:30 PM Re: Best way to cross barbed wire fence? [Re: unimogbert]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
While on my Thurs PM run I stopped to take a close look at fences along my route.

It appears that the Fence Buddy assumes that the fence has been assembled using a pre-bent clip which has open ears and that the ears remain open after the fencer has moved on.

On the fence I looked at, the "clip" was made of fence wire wound around the barbed strand on both sides and had up to 4 turns on both sides. No way the Fence Buddy would work on those fences.

I also found a fence made of 8 horizontal strands on non-barbed wire. No spreading that one or going under. Didn't look closely to see what would happen if one were to put weight on any given wire.
At least it wouldn't bite while trying it out.

#233105 - 10/02/11 02:57 AM Re: Best way to cross barbed wire fence? [Re: unimogbert]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Yeah, I have experience, I grew up on a farm/ranch.

Just climb the damn fence

RIP OBG

#233114 - 10/02/11 10:06 AM Re: Best way to cross barbed wire fence? [Re: Desperado]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Quote:
Just climb the damn fence

It must take some practice. I watched a guy in a silver flight suit climbing over the fence at McCarran Airport, and the barbed wire had caught the crotch of his flight suit. I dropped off my passengers and moseyed on back a few minutes later (I am nothing if not curious), and he was still there. I went back and notified airport security.

As I delivered my next load, there was a man using one of those tightener things on the fence in that spot.

OUCH!

Sue

#233119 - 10/02/11 02:56 PM Re: Best way to cross barbed wire fence? [Re: unimogbert]
Eugene Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

i grew up on a farm too, when people climb my fence I had to go re-stretch it. Try to respect others property and don't climb on the fence, find a pole strong enough to support your weight.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 558 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.