Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#232959 - 09/29/11 03:56 PM Re: ETS Server Dying UPDATE [Re: Hermes]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Apparently I wasn't clear. Your 1 is the only solution we are interested in.

Originally Posted By: Hermes
I am not familiar the FAQ software, hopefully others in here may have better suggestions than me.

I have take a look on that FAQ pages, if seems all the questions are listed within one page. It is using "Ocean12 FAQ Manager Pro v1.01" running at another Windows server or A Linux server with asp.net support. A later version of "Ocean12 FAQ Manager Pro" is available for $9.99 now:
http://www.ocean12scripts.com/products/faq/
but it requests access to a Microsoft Access Database, so probably needs a Windows server or at least a Linux server with asp.net support with a Microsoft Access Database back-end for the hosting.

In view of above situation, I came up with 3 alternatives so far.

1. Using other FAQ software which can running under Linux server, a google comes up some freeware:

http://www.phpkode.com/projects/category/php-faq-system/

A few software probably need to short-listed and put into the trial use, and then select the most suitable one to use as the replacement. This probably the cheapest run for long term.

2. Convert the current FAQ into the static web pages, since there are only tens of questions listed, even a non-professional web programmer can easily convert them into some static pages without trouble. The drawback is the updates onward would be a bit more difficult, but still doable by any one who can handle the normal static web pages.

3. Buy a current copy of "Ocean12 FAQ Manager Pro" and hosted it to another Windows Server, this is probably the easiest way for transit, but since another Windows Server hosting is involved, the yearly running cost might be almost double.

Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#232960 - 09/29/11 04:06 PM Re: ETS Server Dying UPDATE [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Hermes Offline
Stranger

Loc: Upside down
Probably need to take a good look on the following then:

http://www.phpkode.com/projects/category/php-faq-system/

before yet another batch of candidates come up. smile

Trial use is probably the only way to select a suitable one. The good news is that seems those listed are free to use or with less restrictions.

Edited by Hermes (09/29/11 04:07 PM)
Edit Reason: spelling

#232967 - 09/29/11 07:28 PM Re: ETS Server Dying UPDATE [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Hermes Offline
Stranger

Loc: Upside down
Here is another list which included payware, a bit outdated, but certain items look quite promising:

http://www.scriptsbank.com/PHP_Scripts/FAQ_and_Knowledgebase/index.html

#232985 - 09/30/11 12:42 AM Re: ETS Server Dying [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Nice, the ocean12 demo on their site gave me
Code:
Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80004005'

[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Cannot update. Database or object is read-only.

/products/faq/demo/default.asp, line 29 

When it did work it didn't look all the special and the ETS FAQ looks pretty simple, almost looks like overkill to have it more than html.

Could use one of the many free/open source wiki programs.

#233030 - 09/30/11 08:03 PM Re: ETS Server Dying [Re: Doug_Ritter]
fj60 Offline
Stranger

Hi, Doug.

Have you considered shared hosting? One of my largest web clients, an electric cooperative, has used GoDaddy for years (for their website, not for email); it's inexpensive and reliable with no server maintenance headaches. Personally, I prefer HostGator (no affiliation) and their hosting is dirt cheap as well.

For the front end, WordPress has evolved into a powerful (free) content management system -- it's not just for blogs anymore -- and there are all sorts of free or inexpensive plugins (including an FAQ module). WordPress also has something called "multisite" that will enable you to run multiple websites on a single WordPress installation (each site can have its own theme); that, along with WP BuddyPress can power a large social network, if you want:

http://buddypress.org/

Sorry if I've missed the mark on this, have been staring at my monitor all day and my reading comprehension is on the wane this afternoon.

Scott, New Orleans
An ETS lurker since Katrina.

P.S. If you go with a Software as a Service (SaaS), such as squarespace.com, you'll be married to their hosting and proprietary platform -- I've got a client now who is trying to migrate 3 websites from there and it's going to be a pain.

Edited by fj60 (09/30/11 08:08 PM)

#233129 - 10/02/11 07:56 PM Re: ETS Server Dying [Re: Hermes]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: Hermes
After read your post, I sniff on the data transmitted between your server and my PC a bit. What I find that forum "forums.equipped.org" is using the Apache server. Though most likely I can fingerprint the underlay OS from here, but to avoid causing any alarm on the hosting company's IDS as a hacker, I use the information provided by "netcraft.com": The server OS is Linux.

Apparently the forum is using UBB BBS software. According to http://www.ubbcentral.com the basic requirement are PHP 4.3+ and MySQL 4 or 5 ,these two software packages are standard components provided by most hosting companies these days, especially those offer Linux server hosting.

I am not familiar with some features of this program. The other forums I was or currently am a member of, which run on phpBB, one of the options is to have our occupation visible.

Normally being able to know the occupation of a poster is not important. In this forum, where we receive a lot of practical information from each other, it may be helpful to understand where a poster is coming from.

Jeanette Isabelle

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 232 Guests and 57 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.