Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#232532 - 09/21/11 11:35 AM Re: Hunter shoots self in foot, then things get worse [Re: hikermor]
7point82 Offline
Addict

Loc: Orange Beach, AL
Originally Posted By: hikermor
My point is that typical news stories are far too sketchy to form the basis for a reasonable analysis of the situation, and if you really what to figure out what is going on, you need more information than is generally available from the media.

That deserves a huge amen. Whew.

#232533 - 09/21/11 12:09 PM Re: Hunter shoots self in foot, then things get worse [Re: Richlacal]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
He belonged to a Hunt Club,I'm wondering who in the club checked his ability to hunt?Typically,Hunting season is during the rut,who determined he was able to climb a tree/avoid a ticked-off or wounded Buck,or track a wounded deer by his lonesome?He would make an easy meal for wild hogs,North Florida has a whole lot of em',& they rarily travel alone,but even so,some wild hogs tilt the scale over 1000lbs,thats big enough to make Rambo soil his drawers!Unless daddy is a board member or higher in rank,who in that Hunt Club would let a fellow member,being a paraplegic,hunt alone?

Perhaps the hunt club thought he could run the animal over with the ATV if it wasn't a clean kill???

Maybe someone tell this fellow that his hunting (road kill?) days are over and that he could end up following the career of Chuck Wochek* in the film industry if he has any more stupid accidents. eek

* there is a short film about Chuck on Youtube but I won't link to it as it may seriously offend some.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (09/21/11 12:12 PM)

#232654 - 09/24/11 10:23 AM Re: Hunter shoots self in foot, then things get worse [Re: TeacherRO]
joekar Offline
Stranger

Loc: Born in VA, relocated to IA
Hi everyone. I'm an avid hunter. I don't want to pass judgement on this hunter,in that incredibly short and detail lacking article, except to say he did make a huge mistake in having a bolt on the crossbow rail while he was cocking it. Other than that, I don't know his circumstances, so I don't think it's fair for me to judge.
I just wanted to comment on something a few of the posters here have brought up, the fact that the hunter is a paraplegic. I belong to a huntclub that has 2 paraplegics on our roster. They are treated like every other member. Richlacal wondered who checked his ability to hunt. While I can't speak for Florida, or other VA huntclubs, mine doesn't check ability. we have a set of rules and guidelines that are expected to be followed. If they are not followed, you are out of the club, no excuses, no refunds. As for his ability to track a wounded deer, after hitting a deer with a crossbow bolt, or regular arrow, most hunters give the animal time to bleed out. After a hit, I normally wait at least an hour before I get out of my stand to go look for blood trail. Maybe he was going to do the same, and in that hour, call a friend to help him track it and drag it out.
The article mentioned hunting from an ATV, I'm not clear on if he was actually hunting from it, or using it to get to his stand or blind. Sue, you were wondering how he would handle a deer. If he got one, he may have planned on using the ATV to drag it back to the hunt club, or perhaps use a winch on the ATV to hang it to clean it there. Hard to say. Maybe he had a radio or cell to call a hunting buddy to help him drag it out.
I'm not trying to nag on anybody here, and hope it doesn't seem like I am. The whole "paraplegic hunter" thing just kinda hit home...my best friend is one of the paraplegics in my huntclub.

#232657 - 09/24/11 11:35 AM Re: Hunter shoots self in foot, then things get worse [Re: joekar]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Originally Posted By: joekar
Hi everyone. I'm an avid hunter. I don't want to pass judgement on this hunter,in that incredibly short and detail lacking article, except to say he did make a huge mistake in having a bolt on the crossbow rail while he was cocking it. Other than that, I don't know his circumstances, so I don't think it's fair for me to judge.

Thank you for interjecting some 'conscience' here. I greatly admire those with physical limitations that stretch those limitations to try to live a normal life.

One of the our downfalls here is the rush-to-judgement mentality. Not every accident afield is perpetrated by a cock-eyed drooling throwback.

Crossbows are very difficult to draw and to un-draw, requiring use of one foot, two hands, and a special line and pulley device. There are a couple of alternate methods, but I don't know how you would accomplish this without the use of those items. The bolt may have been jammed in place, and he may have been trying to unload it for safety reasons...we don't have the facts needed to sit in judgement of this unfortunate accident.

#232667 - 09/24/11 03:51 PM Re: Hunter shoots self in foot, then things get worse [Re: joekar]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
..... I don't want to pass judgement on this hunter,in that incredibly short and detail lacking article...... I don't know his circumstances, so I don't think it's fair for me to judge. ......

Well said! I too am in admiration of people with disabilities who still get and enjoy the out of doors.

I might add that most of us who are active in the outdoors have probably made dumb moves now and then, but been lucky enough to get away with it, and thus never became a news item. (I know I certainly have). In reading about these incidents, I find it much more useful to think in terms of what I can learn, rather than how dumb that person or persons were.

#232724 - 09/25/11 05:43 PM Re: Hunter shoots self in foot, then things get worse [Re: joekar]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
As for his ability to track a wounded deer, after hitting a deer with a crossbow bolt, or regular arrow, most hunters give the animal time to bleed out. After a hit, I normally wait at least an hour before I get out of my stand to go look for blood trail. Maybe he was going to do the same, and in that hour, call a friend to help him track it and drag it out.

Where I come from it is common practice to wait at least an hour if the animal does not drop in sight. Not waiting is considered a major mistake. If the animal drops in sight, we still wait some time just in case it gets up. So there would be plenty of time to get assistance.

The article mentioned hunting from an ATV, I'm not clear on if he was actually hunting from it, or using it to get to his stand or blind. Sue, you were wondering how he would handle a deer. If he got one, he may have planned on using the ATV to drag it back to the hunt club, or perhaps use a winch on the ATV to hang it to clean it there. Hard to say. Maybe he had a radio or cell to call a hunting buddy to help him drag it out.

That is issue is not just for paraplegics. Around here we hunt for wild boar. They may have 50 lbs or 200 lbs in weight. The small ones - or none at all wink - can easily be handled alone. The big ones may well be beyond the physical limits of individual hunters. So we just arrange a way to get assistance when required. If you need it, you call else you donīt. There is no reason to assume the hapless hunter did not have arrangements. Frankly I would not expect that kind of information to appear it an article that focuses on the accident.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 370 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.