The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#232163 - 09/15/11 02:16 AM Re: Knife control in Boston [Re: Bingley]
Mark_M Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
Just in case anyone doubts the potential for this to become law, in the City of Philadelphia you cannot legally carry a knife of any size or type on any street or in any public place unless it is a necessary part of your trade or profession. Minimum penalty is $300 and 30 days.

#232210 - 09/15/11 05:07 PM Re: Knife control in Boston [Re: Mark_M]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Quote:
... in the City of Philadelphia you cannot legally carry a knife of any size or type on any street or in any public place unless it is a necessary part of your trade or profession.

Philadelphia. PHILADELPHIA!

Now, THAT'S irony!

Sue

#232226 - 09/15/11 07:13 PM Re: Knife control in Boston [Re: Mark_M]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Mark_M
Just in case anyone doubts the potential for this to become law, in the City of Philadelphia you cannot legally carry a knife of any size or type on any street or in any public place unless it is a necessary part of your trade or profession. Minimum penalty is $300 and 30 days.

So I'm in IT that justifies carrying a Leatherman right? Necessary part of trade or profession seems quite vague.
I had printer service contract years ago and pulled out my knife to cut open the box with the new fuser and some lady gasped "thats a knife". My response was something like do you want me to chew the box open, thats what I knife is for.

#232235 - 09/15/11 08:02 PM Re: Knife control in Boston [Re: ]
7point82 Offline
Addict

Loc: Orange Beach, AL
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry."-Thomas Jefferson. Something to think about.

That reminded me of...

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.
- C. S. Lewis

#232443 - 09/19/11 06:03 PM Re: Knife control in Boston [Re: Mark_M]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: Mark_M

I found the law. Section 10-820. This law seems to have been enacted as a result of Stanley (utility) knives being used as weapons. The blades on those are only about .75 inches, shorter then even Xacto knives.

Quote:
(1) Definition.

Cutting Weapon. Any knife or other cutting instrument which can be used as a weapon that has a cutting edge similar to that of a knife. No tool or instrument commonly or ordinarily used in a trade, profession or calling shall be considered a cutting weapon while actually being used in the active exercise of that trade, profession or calling.

(2) Prohibited Conduct. No person shall use or possess any cutting weapon upon the public streets or upon any public property at any time.

(3) Penalty. The penalty for violation of this Section shall be a fine of not less than three hundred (300) dollars and imprisonment of not less than ninety days.

I've been searching for cases involving this statute , but have had very limited luck. The only one I've been able to find is a parolee that got caught with a 3.5" folding knife and a pair of nunchucks. The "Used as a weapon" statute is very vague. Common sense would dictate that keychain SAK's are not "Weapons", but the Cold Steel Recon 1 is. The usual caveat about common sense applies.

I think I may also have found the reason that Boston is pushing for the knife control law. In the FBI's UCI for 2010 they took a black eye for a murder rate increase of 47% (50 to 73 homicides) while almost everybody else is decreasing. It's a statistical glitch compared to the total violent crime rate, which actually decreased. But, it's bad press.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44578241/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/

The polititians may be reacting to that.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#232471 - 09/19/11 11:30 PM Re: Knife control in Boston [Re: Bingley]
Pete Offline
Veteran

The law in Philadelphia really is ridiculous - idiotic in fact.
I guess if you were going to attempt to stay legal, you could put the knife inside a backpack or luggage. I'm guessing that "carrying" means have the knife immediately accessible on your person ... not stored inside a bag?

Pete2

Edited by Pete (09/19/11 11:30 PM)

#232493 - 09/20/11 03:32 PM Re: Knife control in Boston [Re: Bingley]
speedemon Offline
Journeyman

So given that Philadelphia law, you can't buy a kitchen knife and take it home without breaking the law (only depending on how they define, or more likely interpret, possession). Brilliant!

#232499 - 09/20/11 05:21 PM Re: Knife control in Boston [Re: Mark_R]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Quote:
I think I may also have found the reason that Boston is pushing for the knife control law. In the FBI's UCI for 2010 they took a black eye for a murder rate increase of 47% (50 to 73 homicides) while almost everybody else is decreasing.

Could it be that many places are now supporting concealed handgun carry and self protection while Boston is not? Those other places see their crime rates going down, but Bostons murders are going way up. Hmmm... "Yeah, let's blame it on knives now", say the idiot politicians.

If the bad guys run free, and honest citicens are denied the means to defend themselves, yeah, you might get murdered. Wake up Boston!

#232501 - 09/20/11 05:25 PM Re: Knife control in Boston [Re: haertig]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Quote:
I think I may also have found the reason that Boston is pushing for the knife control law. In the FBI's UCI for 2010 they took a black eye for a murder rate increase of 47% (50 to 73 homicides) while almost everybody else is decreasing.

I know the reason for all the murders: there's no place to park. People get desperate when they're late for work!

Sue

#232503 - 09/20/11 05:52 PM Re: Knife control in Boston [Re: Susan]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Susan
I know the reason for all the murders: there's no place to park. People get desperate when they're late for work!

Parking? What's that? Oh, ya mean pahking? Yeah, people have a wicked. short. fuse when it comes to pahking.

Da Bing

Edited by Bingley (09/20/11 05:53 PM)

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 616 Guests and 31 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.