Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#232045 - 09/13/11 03:10 PM Re: What a Prepared Community Is Like [Re: MartinFocazio]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
Originally Posted By: MartinFocazio
Originally Posted By: roberttheiii
Are heat pumps these days effective in very cold weather? How does their efficiency compare to gas or oil? I'd always thought of them as a temperate climate solution, but less than ideal in places that get cold winters. All and all an interesting place for sure.

I have no idea. Quite a few places around here have them.

We live a bit further south than Bucks County PA, in Anne Arundel county Maryland. My experience with heat pumps here is that most of the time they are"OK", but in the coldest winter weather their internal electric heaters turn on; so you are heating with direct electric heat. How this all works out over the course of a year in terms of cost vs. natural gas, oil, propane seems to be highly variable depending on the exact construction (e.g. insulation, windows etc) of the house and the costs of the various alternatives. If you have to replace your furnace due to floods every 10 years or so, the cost difference of having a heat pump system that survives the flood is probably a good trade off, even if the yearly energy cost for the heat pump is higher. The devil is in the details of each individual situation.

Edited by bws48 (09/13/11 03:11 PM)
Edit Reason: spelling

#232056 - 09/13/11 05:25 PM Re: What a Prepared Community Is Like [Re: roberttheiii]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By: roberttheiii
Are heat pumps these days effective in very cold weather?

No (assuming you mean air-to-air heat pumps). Their efficiency goes from something like 1:4 (1 kw of electrical power in => 4 kw out) to something like 1:1. So in really cold weather they're about as good as an conventional electrical heater with the same power consumption. (Or a conventional gas/oil heater with the same rating - 1kw of heat is 1kw of heat, no matter the fuel source).

I expect most modern heat pumps to work quite well down to at least -15C/0F. How many days each year is it colder than that?

Any heating system must be designed for the climate and the house in question. So with heat pumps.

Those I know who lives in really cold places is to design for a combination of heat pumps and other sources of heating. The most common combination is to have old fashioned electric ovens, a wood stove and a heat pump. The heat pump does the brunt of the heating - and most of the year that is plenty. Only when it is REALLY cold outside does the stove and the electric ovens come into play.

Edited by MostlyHarmless (09/13/11 05:28 PM)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 486 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.