Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#231282 - 09/02/11 12:52 AM Organizing the Important Documents Binder
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I'm starting my winter prep organization early this year (or is it late last year since I never got much done last year).
Usually in winter I do all my paperwork, make sure all the important docs are up so date, etc.
I'm noticing I'm not that consistent in order and organization so I'm pulling everything out and sorting, organizing and prioritizing it.
I've come up with the following categories:

1. Identity - Birth certificate, social security card, diplomas, church/organization memberships, etc.

2. Health - doctor visits, prescriptions, all medical related records

3. Finances - Statements for savings, cd's, investments, retirement, etc.

4. Education - school transcripts, grades, etc

5. possessions - receipts for things.

I've also prioritized in that order so as I start at the front of the binder the most important I get to first and insure is up to date.
Seem like I'm missing anything or out of order?

#231289 - 09/02/11 01:48 AM Re: Organizing the Important Documents Binder [Re: Eugene]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Got kids? Immunizations, school records, etc.

Got pets? Immunizations, license numbers, microchip numbers, tattoos, registration papers.

Sue

#231290 - 09/02/11 01:54 AM Re: Organizing the Important Documents Binder [Re: Eugene]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Business cards from all your doctors, attorneys, tax accountant, contact for your bank branch or person who talked you there about a loan, guy who sold you your car insurance, health insurance rep or brokers, companies HR person.

Copy of home warranty, life insurance policy's, location or point of contact for deeds and wills.

A file for home issues, like business cards or company receipt for the guy that cuts your trees once a year, the plumber who cut you a deal, basically any person that has done work at your house or on your house that you want to continue using.

Add passport to your #1.

I would take a video of the inside of your house. Walk around and show every room and layout. Zoom in on important insurance items like paintings, comic book collections, furs and jewels. Show any documents that would verify it. (Lay things out on a bed or counter for a full viewing of multiple items.

#231291 - 09/02/11 01:59 AM Re: Organizing the Important Documents Binder [Re: Eugene]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
not in any particular order...some other suggestions

DD214 and shot records
Will and last requests
Surrogate of Health Care authorization
DNR directions and authorization
Power of Attorney
deed of property
deed of sepulcher
property insurance
personal insurance
vehicle insurance
vehicle titles

photocopy of insurance cards and licenses on waterproof paper
photocopy of important business cards on waterproof paper
photocopy of important phone numbers on waterproof paper

Edited by LesSnyder (09/02/11 02:01 AM)

#231301 - 09/02/11 11:01 AM Re: Organizing the Important Documents Binder [Re: Susan]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Susan
Got kids? Immunizations, school records, etc.

Got pets? Immunizations, license numbers, microchip numbers, tattoos, registration papers.

Sue

Immunizations are in #2. health section, school records in the #4. education.

#231302 - 09/02/11 11:05 AM Re: Organizing the Important Documents Binder [Re: comms]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: comms
Business cards from all your doctors, attorneys, tax accountant, contact for your bank branch or person who talked you there about a loan, guy who sold you your car insurance, health insurance rep or brokers, companies HR person.

Copy of home warranty, life insurance policy's, location or point of contact for deeds and wills.

A file for home issues, like business cards or company receipt for the guy that cuts your trees once a year, the plumber who cut you a deal, basically any person that has done work at your house or on your house that you want to continue using.

Add passport to your #1.

I would take a video of the inside of your house. Walk around and show every room and layout. Zoom in on important insurance items like paintings, comic book collections, furs and jewels. Show any documents that would verify it. (Lay things out on a bed or counter for a full viewing of multiple items.

Hmm, I've never hired anyone to do home maintenance, do it all myself so no cards there
don't have a passport

I need to check with my current insirance company on validiaty of a video record, they are decent so I bet that will work. I've tried to make a claim with other larger companies before and pictures/videos don't count for anything, their response was how do we know the items in the pictures are yours and not someone elses, you need reciepts. Which is why I now save as many receipts as possible.

#231303 - 09/02/11 11:11 AM Re: Organizing the Important Documents Binder [Re: Eugene]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I guess I wasn't real clear in the initial post, I was asking more along the lines of do the catrgories and prioritization of them look right, I have pretty much everything in there, its just not organized well.

#231312 - 09/02/11 03:42 PM Re: Organizing the Important Documents Binder [Re: Eugene]
comms Offline
Veteran

Mine is set up by family member having their own color coded folder w/ name on it, & biz card inserts and sheet protectors to hold it all together. Each person has their own folder with their own set of biz cards, id's, records, etc. Plus one just for Household stuff. All the folders are put in a bright single legal sized expandable wallet. I also have CD's and jump drives have scanned files and personal photos in the wallet.

#231328 - 09/03/11 01:18 AM Re: Organizing the Important Documents Binder [Re: Eugene]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
? - do you keep co ies of your important documents off-site? My bank told me today that I qualify for a free safe deposit box box at any branch. If I had to pay would it be worth it? Should I keep originals at home or in the SDB?

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#231331 - 09/03/11 02:47 AM Re: Organizing the Important Documents Binder [Re: bacpacjac]
comms Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
? - do you keep co ies of your important documents off-site? My bank told me today that I qualify for a free safe deposit box box at any branch. If I had to pay would it be worth it? Should I keep originals at home or in the SDB?

We used to have a SDB, but it was costing us ~$50 a year so we cancelled it. i have originals at home or the point of contact to get an original in my files, (i.e. email or phone number for our schools, state agencies, hospitals, etc).

I recently started a online SDB. I've color scanned almost all our important docs. I created a obscure email account with an online company and attached the scans to emails that I leave in the Draft folder. That way if I ever lost my driver licence, passport, or say whole wallet, using my iPhone or computer or I could access the account from anywhere in the world to get a copy out of the Draft folder. I've been told a clean copy will suffice an initial interaction with police or govt agencies if exigent situation exists.

its basically a poor mans Carbonite dot com.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 564 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.