Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#231155 - 08/31/11 04:17 PM Re: Urban Escape from NYC/Irene [Re: Diosces]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: Diosces
We shut down and started the house correctly.

Diosces, excellent planning, execution, and write up!

Just one thought regarding shutting down your home--had you considered the possibility of rising floodwater pushing sewage up through your drains, especially since you note that you live in a low lying part of town?

#231164 - 08/31/11 07:49 PM Re: Urban Escape from NYC/Irene [Re: Diosces]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
" I dont need the extra MSR dragonfly camp stove, black diamond lanterns, and several other impulse buys are going back to the local EMS store for refund."

Didn't use them this time so probably won't need them next time -or- i've already got redunancy in those areas so they're overkill?

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#231211 - 09/01/11 03:41 AM Re: Urban Escape from NYC/Irene [Re: Diosces]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Quote:
I take the empty warm fridge as an opportunity to do a thorough and clean down and disinfect it.

Well, I am coming back to consciousness and picking myself up off the floor.

I have never known a single man in my entire life who would clean a refrigerator without having a gun held to his head.

I'm shocked! I'm stunned! I'm... jealous!

Quote:
No flooding on our street. I am surprised as we are one of the lowest points in town.

Don't assume it will be the same the next time. I live in a flood-prone area, and every single time it has flooded (four '100-yr floods' in 20 yrs), different areas have flooded, and others didn't, and they were different each time.

Quote:
... some mice made their presence known by crapping all over the kitchen countertop...I've bagged two so far with old school Victor mice snap traps baited with a bit of tasty hot dog.

Check all the cupboards and drawers that contain cookware, utensils and dishes, too. Not much beats peanut butter as bait.

Very nice job of prepping, and the overview.

Sue

#231213 - 09/01/11 04:03 AM Re: Urban Escape from NYC/Irene [Re: Susan]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Susan
Quote:
I take the empty warm fridge as an opportunity to do a thorough and clean down and disinfect it.

I have never known a single man in my entire life who would clean a refrigerator without having a gun held to his head.

Sue, you've gotta sit down for this, maybe check your insurance, put on your bicycle helmet: I cleaned the fridge this morning. No firearms were involved. It wasn't even dirty. I just didn't like how it was "getting there." I took out the racks, disinfected and washed them. Then I disinfected the insides and vigorously wiped down each surface. When I say I disinfected, I mean I sprayed AND waited a few minutes to let the chemicals do the killing. I even cleaned the bottom of a terrine because it had a ring. After that...

HEY, SUE! ARE YOU OK? BREATHE! BREATHE! DON'T DIE ON ME LIKE THIS!

So as I was saying, after that, I wiped the door handle and anywhere on the door with paw prints. After the racks dried, I put everything back together, arranging all my foods alphabetically.

Da Bing, housebroken

PS. Alright, that last thing wasn't true. But the rest of it I am willing to swear on any scripture of your choosing.

Edited by Bingley (09/01/11 04:04 AM)

#231226 - 09/01/11 12:16 PM Re: Urban Escape from NYC/Irene [Re: Bingley]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Originally Posted By: Bingley
Quote:

Sue, you've gotta sit down for this, maybe check your insurance, put on your bicycle helmet: I cleaned the fridge this morning. No firearms were involved. It wasn't even dirty. I just didn't like how it was "getting there." I took out the racks, disinfected and washed them. Then I disinfected the insides and vigorously wiped down each surface. When I say I disinfected, I mean I sprayed AND waited a few minutes to let the chemicals do the killing. I even cleaned the bottom of a terrine because it had a ring. After that...

HEY, SUE! ARE YOU OK? BREATHE! BREATHE! DON'T DIE ON ME LIKE THIS!

So as I was saying, after that, I wiped the door handle and anywhere on the door with paw prints. After the racks dried, I put everything back together, arranging all my foods alphabetically.

Da Bing, housebroken

PS. Alright, that last thing wasn't true. But the rest of it I am willing to swear on any scripture of your choosing.

laugh laugh laugh
-Blast, much less domesticated.
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#231227 - 09/01/11 12:22 PM Re: Urban Escape from NYC/Irene [Re: Susan]
Diosces Offline

Loc: New Jersey
Quote:

I'm shocked! I'm stunned! I'm... jealous!

Quote:
No flooding on our street. I am surprised as we are one of the lowest points in town.

Don't assume it will be the same the next time. I live in a flood-prone area, and every single time it has flooded (four '100-yr floods' in 20 yrs), different areas have flooded, and others didn't, and they were different each time.

Quote:
... some mice made their presence known by crapping all over the kitchen countertop...I've bagged two so far with old school Victor mice snap traps baited with a bit of tasty hot dog.

Check all the cupboards and drawers that contain cookware, utensils and dishes, too. Not much beats peanut butter as bait.

Very nice job of prepping, and the overview.

Sue

Thanks Sue. Gotcha on the chaotic nature of flooding....
Regarding the mice I think I've handled the situation but the peanut butter is a great recommendation if I see more signs.

Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
" I dont need the extra MSR dragonfly camp stove, black diamond lanterns, and several other impulse buys are going back to the local EMS store for refund."

Didn't use them this time so probably won't need them next time -or- i've already got redunancy in those areas so they're overkill?

I've got stove (home made aluminun alcohol)and lighting redundancy, plus a matter of economics.

#231228 - 09/01/11 12:31 PM Re: Urban Escape from NYC/Irene [Re: Arney]
Diosces Offline

Loc: New Jersey
Originally Posted By: Arney
We shut down and started the house correctly.

Diosces, excellent planning, execution, and write up!

Just one thought regarding shutting down your home--had you considered the possibility of rising floodwater pushing sewage up through your drains, especially since you note that you live in a low lying part of town?

Thanks Arney,
Good point. In our town the domestic sanitary (sewage) line is separate from the street storm drains. Storm drains go out directly to the Hudson River while sanitary goes to sewage treatment facility. Thats not to say the sanitary can't back up into a house but I haven't heard of it recently. I know in the 70's it used to be an issue but the infrastructure has been greatly upgraded

#231259 - 09/01/11 05:40 PM Re: Urban Escape from NYC/Irene [Re: Bingley]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Okay, Bingley, so there are TWO of you out of 3,479,567,645 men.

Most, like Blast and the ones I know, are seriously undomesticated. SERIOUSLY UNDOMESTICATED. (Sometimes, not even housebroken.) grin grin grin

Sue

#231274 - 09/01/11 09:40 PM Re: Urban Escape from NYC/Irene [Re: Diosces]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
LOL @ the fridge cleaning!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#231534 - 09/06/11 05:10 PM Re: Urban Escape from NYC/Irene [Re: Diosces]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Packed our bags, 2 weeks worth of water and food, tools, and ourselves + dog into our 2010 Honda CRV.

Wow! How did you fit all that in a CRV? Did you use a roof rack or something?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 268 Guests and 32 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by chaosmagnet
Today at 01:07 AM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
Yesterday at 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.