The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#230158 - 08/20/11 11:07 PM Seasonal Hiking Kit Repack
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Around this time of year, the cool, wet fall weather returns to these parts. Don't get me wrong, it's not winter yet. We're still getting warm weather during the day (mid 20 to low 30 degrees C) but the nights and mornings are getting chillier. Before long, we should be back to single digits overnight. We're not near freezing yet but the greater temperature ranges are making me think about re-packing my hiking kit to address the cold and and their lovechild, hypothermia.

This is a day-hike kit, intended to sustain me and DS on an impromptu overnight. I carry it on day/night hikes and day paddles with my Beavers, Cubs and Scouts as well. It also doubles as my get-home bag for my daily commute.

Notes:
-DS (8 yo) has his own hiking kit with PSK, water, snacks, extra clothes, etc.
-everything is carried in a 55L backpack, lined with a dry bag
-individual contents are organized and packed in waterproof bags
* Come September, we'll be prepping for fall hikes, paddles and camps with our Scout groups, another reason for the preemptive seasonal kit change over. wink

EDC and ON-BODY:
-EDC watch, paracord necklace with photon, key chain (with keys, SAK, fox 40, fauxton and monkey fist) and extra glasses (in hard case)
-layered clothing suitable for the worst 24hr conditions, including paracord belt, bball hat and sunglasses
-Leatherman Kick with AAA mag and key fob with strike-anywhere matches in sheath
-Lanyard with Fox 40, Gerber Vise mini tool, firesteel and LED
-Ritter PSK with added mini bic, mag block, led keychain, bandana, extra duct tape, extra nylon cord, large ziplock bag and folder
-2-person heat sheet

NAVIGATION KIT:
-Local maps & Silva compass in waterproof map case

LIGHT KIT:
-LED headlamp & extra batteries
-mini mag & extra batteries
-snap lights (in lightweight plastic tube)

FIRST AID KIT:
-AMK .9 FAK with extra gauze, bandana, 2 triangulars and lip balm
-OTC med kit with Tylenol, Ibuprophin, Benedryl, Gravol, chewable pepto/immodium (adult and child versions)
-Toilet paper (about 1/3 of a regular 1ply roll, inner tube removed)
-feminie hygene supplies (including max pads, baby wipes and extra ziplock bags)

SHARPS:
-Ruuko fixed blade
-Sierra saw
*folding shovel will be added when it's time for the snow to fly

SHELTER KIT:
-Emerg rain poncho
-AMK 2 person bivvy
-Hot shots hand warmers
-Blaze orange Thinsulate watch cap
-Wool gloves
-Blaze orange rain jacket
-Wool sweater
-Wool socks
-Rain pants

WATER/FOOD:
-Lg kleen kanteen (full)
-1.5 ltr water bottle with filter (full)
-Micro PUR tabs
-individual packs of instant coffee, hot chocolate, tang/koolaid
-Peanut m&ms
-Fruit & Nut trail mix
-Cliff bars
*Military mess cup, Esbit stove and fuel will be added by the time the snow flies and natural tinder and fuel is mostly gone

FIRE KIT:
-Butane lighter
-TinderQuick
-tea lights
-fat wood
-birch bark shavings

SIGNALING KIT:
-bear bell
-small air horn
-cell phone (non-activated, with SIM card for 911 only)

As always, I'm hoping you'll share your wisdom to improve this kit. Thanks!

Edited by bacpacjac (08/22/11 01:20 AM)

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#230159 - 08/21/11 12:17 AM Re: Seasonal Hiking Kit Repack [Re: bacpacjac]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I have found snap lights to be unreliable in the extreme, especially when carried long term in a pack. The covering inevitably abrades and holes develop, with the result that when you snap them, there is no resulting light.

I would include a signal mirror, but then I live in lower latitudes. Is there a mirror included with your compass?

#230160 - 08/21/11 12:22 AM Re: Seasonal Hiking Kit Repack [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Thanks Hikermor. There's a mirror with the compass and also in the Ritter PSK.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#230162 - 08/21/11 12:55 AM Re: Seasonal Hiking Kit Repack [Re: bacpacjac]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
LIGHT KIT:
-LED headlamp & extra batteries
-snap lights

I have an issue with the snap lights. Twice one has failed to work.

Jeanette Isabelle

#230163 - 08/21/11 03:04 AM Re: Seasonal Hiking Kit Repack [Re: bacpacjac]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
A whistle is priceless when needed,wrap some rubberbands or innertube around it for grip,&/or xlnt waterproof tinder.By the way,You have a Very well thought out kit,I hope you don't need it but glad you have it! Sorry about that,I must have had a brain frrt,I see you have some fox 40's listed,the rubberbands/innertube are very handy,multi-use & lightweight,& Thats it! Cheers!

Edited by Richlacal (08/21/11 03:10 AM)

#230164 - 08/21/11 03:56 AM Re: Seasonal Hiking Kit Repack [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
LED Offline
Veteran

I pack all my chem lights in hard containers. Right now I'm using plastic tube mailers. They weight next to nothing and do a good job of protecting the chem lights. Never had one fail, and I've gone through a lot of them.

You also have to make sure they are not broken before you buy them. If you shake an unused light stick it makes a distinct rattle, which means the glass vial inside has not been broken. Once the glass vial has been broken, it makes a completely different sound.

#230168 - 08/21/11 07:23 AM Re: Seasonal Hiking Kit Repack [Re: LED]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
The chem lights that have worked reliably for me are the ones made for life jackets that are packaged in a hard plastic shell with an attachment clip.

#230169 - 08/21/11 07:44 AM Re: Seasonal Hiking Kit Repack [Re: bacpacjac]
bigreddog Offline
Enthusiast

Great kit. If I was going to pick nits with it, I might ask - why carry a folder (for preference I consider a fixed blade to be stronger and safer)and whether some sort of shelter should be in the on body kit (if the shtf then I can imagine situations where lighting a fire can be almost impossible, but wrapping oneself in a heatsheet / trash bag etc might be very useful).

Also no mention of spare cordage in the shelter kit, which might be useful.

But I'm being petty - be happy to have that list of kit on me in a crisis

#230170 - 08/21/11 09:26 AM Re: Seasonal Hiking Kit Repack [Re: bacpacjac]
NuggetHoarder Offline

Loc: Appalachians
That is a really nice kit. Like bigreddog said, I'd be happy to have that kit.

The only recommendations I can think of are:

You might want some repair tools and materials to fix a broken pack or other items in your kit. A sail needle or upholstery needle and some strong thread would be a good start. Maybe an assortment of zip ties for broken straps. For clothing repairs, you could also add a small sewing kit like they give out at hotels - about the size of a matchbook.

For your EDC, you don't have anything for water. I'd suggest an oven bag or a small pouch like this one: http://www.bepreparedtosurvive.com/1%20Qt.%20Emergency%20Water%20Bag.htm Or you could just carry a condom for water carry.

You also have two bic lighters and some matches but I don't see any other fire making tools. I'd add at least a ferrocium rod and maybe a fresnel lens too in case you get hopelessly wet.

I'd add a small whistle since an air horn is only good for a short time.

I'd add a pair of leather work gloves unless you're used to working with your hands all day.

I'd add a second compass, even if it's just a button compass or zipper pull compass. You need a backup because compasses get lost due to them being out of your pack and getting used often. Also, when you are in the depths of being lost, human nature says you will absolutely doubt the integrity of your compass. A backup compass to compare the two could be the little something to bring you back to reality.

I'd add extra batteries for all the lighting devices.

Some foil would come in handy as a windscreen for your stove or to wrap up any food you find.

With a pack as big as yours (55L) I imagine you still have lots of space in there. Since we're talking about a Fall weather load-out, I'd beef up the shelter a bit. Maybe add an Exped downmat or some cheaper pad if you are trying to keep costs down. You could also upgrade to the AMK thermal bivy bags instead of just heatsheets.

If you will be with your son stuck in the woods, perhaps something to pass the time like a deck of cards or dice or a mini backgammon set or a little AM/FM radio.

You don't have anything for food gathering like fishing kit or snare kit. Perhaps they are inappropriate for your area, but food gathering equipment might be something to add.

Since this is also your get home bag, I don't see anything for self-defense. I'd start with a firearm or at least have an ASP baton, or a monkey fist ball bearing key chain, or some pepper spray, or a street legal knife like a Boker Subcom, neck knife, or even a retractable box cutter razor.

Overall a very nice kit you have. I like that you're carrying a lot of stuff on your person, that's something that I learned only recently from this website.

#230171 - 08/21/11 11:35 AM Re: Seasonal Hiking Kit Repack [Re: bacpacjac]
Medicineball Offline
Stranger

Great kit - thanks for sharing! How much does the air horn weigh? I'd be hesitant to bring it, because I don't trust pressurized things to stay pressurized. I do agree with others, however, about a whistle. Worth the ounce and always works.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 256 Guests and 31 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hoover Stew
by brandtb
05/19/24 03:45 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.