The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#230441 - 08/24/11 03:35 PM Re: Best GPS? [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I just pulled the trigger on a Foretrex 301. Primary reason is that when flying I want to read altitude not cabin (pressurized) altitude.

With the 401, the baro altimeter is constantly updated by the GPS, but in a situation where baro altitude is 5000 ft and real altitude is 15,000 ft, it gets a bit out of calibration. The 301 measures GPS altitude which for my purpose is just fine.

#230444 - 08/24/11 03:48 PM Re: Best GPS? [Re: Russ]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: Russ
I just pulled the trigger on a Foretrex 301

Cool, you will love it.

#230460 - 08/24/11 06:15 PM Re: Best GPS? [Re: MDinana]
NuggetHoarder Offline

Loc: Appalachians
As far as the GPS units that are made for cars... Garmin is better than Magellan because the Garmin units will let you avoid unpaved roads. You don't want to end up like the Chetien's in Nevada (who were using a Magellan).

Beyond that, I think you have to dive into the details and figure out which feature is the game changer for you personally. For instance, the new Delorme PN60 is awesome, but doesn't have an external antenna jack. That alone might be the game changer for you. Or maybe you need long battery life or you need to be able to save a large number of waypoints. The devil is in the details and there are so many models now you just have to figure out which features are important to you.

#230466 - 08/24/11 07:09 PM Re: Best GPS? [Re: MDinana]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
I have a question about non-mapping GPS models like the fortex 301/401 or the eTrex H.

I haven't used these before, but looking through the owner's manuals for these models (fortex, eTrex H) they don't seem to show any screen shots for a mode where the device simply displays your current coordinates so you can relate your position to a map.

How easy are these units to use if you are trying to relate your current position to a map, as opposed to pre-entering your way-points before your trip? Or is that the right way to do things?

#230467 - 08/24/11 07:09 PM Re: Best GPS? [Re: MDinana]
Andy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: SE PA
MDinana,

I believe it was my thread you didn't want to interrupt so I promise not to hijaack yours. grin

Although I might be able to salvage my Triton, after looking around for a replacement the new version of the Garmin eTrex 20 looks like it might fit my needs with regard to price, ruggedness, map loading and size. A bigger screen would be nice but would be twice as much money.

It also will work with the Russian GLONASS satellite system (though after today's loss of Russian supply rocket for the ISS I'm not sure I'm brimming with confidence in Russian technology).

Currently not shipping, but it looks like a nice unit.

#230473 - 08/24/11 08:00 PM Re: Best GPS? [Re: Denis]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Denis
How easy are these units to use if you are trying to relate your current position to a map, as opposed to pre-entering your way-points before your trip? Or is that the right way to do things?

It's super easy on my old eTrex, haven't played with the newer models.

#230475 - 08/24/11 08:17 PM Re: Best GPS? [Re: Denis]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Denis -- Page 8 of the Fortex owners manual discusses waypoints. That is one page where you would get the Lat/Long or UTM coordinates. That said, not everything is in the owners manual.

I expect to find a summary page in the receiver which has things like location, elevation, time & heading. Possibly with optional fields which you can select.

Like I said in the other thread, I always mark a location and create a waypoint in the GPS before moving it to the map.

#230481 - 08/24/11 08:58 PM Re: Best GPS? [Re: Russ]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
Denis -- Page 8 of the Fortex owners manual discusses waypoints. That is one page where you would get the Lat/Long or UTM coordinates. That said, not everything is in the owners manual.

I've just had a quick look at the Garmin Foretrex 301 GPS manual. Its pretty awful in that it is showing nothing I would consider useful. Yet the 301 is being marketed as useful for even military use.

I couldn't find any information on Datum settings and Compass Declination, WAAS etc, even my old Etrex Camo would even accept DGPS signals via the 232c cable for Differential GPS (using an external MBX-3S Differential Beacon Receiver) and would display OSGB 36 format for UK Ordnance Survey maps let alone MGRS, NAD27 etc (coordinate datum transformation) etc.

Connecting the Garmin eTrex GPS to another device using RTCM NMEA signals is also very useful to turn the GPS into a full electronic mapping system as well using a Notebook PC etc.

These basic eTrex's are fully featured (non electronic map display type) and cost effective.

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-eTrex-Handh...2906&sr=8-1

Here is an example of a waypoint I recorded on my Samsung B2710 i.e. Ordnance Survey

NO3965078992 - Plug it into www.streetmap.com and set zoom to 1:25000

and a video of the location where camp was setup

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBB9V87pqZI

The location might be out by about 10-20 metres but technology today is pretty cool

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (08/24/11 09:22 PM)

#230483 - 08/24/11 09:17 PM Re: Best GPS? [Re: chaosmagnet]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal

+1.The older Garmins all did this quite well; can't imagine that that basic information isn't displayed on the newer units.

The ease with which you can fix your coordinates on the map has more to do with the configuration of the map than the GPS itself. You want a map with the UTM grid, typically in 1000 units. It helps if you have a printed scale of some sort, allowing you to easily find your position on the map. Theoretically, you could do this with lat,lon as well, but it is much easier with UTM. Just be sure your GS and map share the same datum, and be prepared for the occasional deflected signal (in canyon bottoms, etc).

#230485 - 08/24/11 09:39 PM Re: Best GPS? [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Quote:
Theoretically, you could do this with lat,lon as well, but it is much easier with UTM.
smile If you are familiar with UTM. I've been using Lat/Long in navigation for over 30 years.

Maybe if the map was only UTM... still, with non-mapping GPS receivers, I use preloaded waypoints for nav.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 383 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Today at 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.