Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#230487 - 08/24/11 09:54 PM Re: Top 10 Survival Tricks for the Zombie Apocalypse [Re: ireckon]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
For example, random stragglers on the streets of UK during the riots may rightfully be described as zombies.

I think we can now all see the weakness in Shaun's plan of action to Bug Out to the local pub.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VK17r6hN96k

The local pubs it seems were some of the first residences to get attacked during the recent English riots. wink

#230498 - 08/24/11 10:45 PM Re: Top 10 Survival Tricks for the Zombie Apocalypse [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor
I think we can now all see the weakness in Shaun's plan of action to Bug Out to the local pub.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VK17r6hN96k

The local pubs it seems were some of the first residences to get attacked during the recent English riots. wink

Alright, I'll have to revise my plan, then. I think I'll go to a strip club instead. That totally works, except if it's a vampire attack instead (like Dusk to Dawn), then you're a bit up the creek.

DB

#230513 - 08/25/11 01:33 AM Re: Top 10 Survival Tricks for the Zombie Apocalypse [Re: Denis]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Quote:
...the appropriate response when you come in contact with a zombie is to kill it.

But it's already dead. Isn't that the problem?

How about large vats of formaldehyde?

Sue

#230524 - 08/25/11 03:42 AM Re: Top 10 Survival Tricks for the Zombie Apocalypse [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: JeanetteIsabelle
Originally Posted By: Bingley
I'm glad some of you good folks are helping them get out of the pale, sexless life. . . .

If a person is not interested in sex, it's their prerogative.

Totally agree! That's why I'm not doing it! DB

#230525 - 08/25/11 04:29 AM Re: Top 10 Survival Tricks for the Zombie Apocalypse [Re: Susan]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
Originally Posted By: Susan
Quote:
...the appropriate response when you come in contact with a zombie is to kill it.

But it's already dead. Isn't that the problem?

Maybe kill isn't best term; maybe deanimate, redead or simply put down would be better smile.

My point though is that when someone equates a group of people to zombies they are most often referring to the behaviour of the people (brainless, mob mentality, consuming, etc.). However if one fully applies the metaphor there is also an implied correct behaviour towards the "zombie" - put them down using lethal force.

For this reason, even if using zombie as a metaphor, I am uncomfortable equating any group of people to zombies.

#230536 - 08/25/11 02:28 PM Re: Top 10 Survival Tricks for the Zombie Apocalypse [Re: Denis]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: Denis
However if one fully applies the metaphor there is also an implied correct behaviour towards the "zombie" - put them down using lethal force.

I agree with Denis on this point. You often see this type of zombie post on gun forums where you wonder if the poster is even old enough to own a gun, or else they are too immature or crazy to appreciate what those weapons are really meant to do, i.e. cause severe bodily harm, even death, to another human being. These are the kinds of zombie posts that I have tended to run across in my own web surfing, which is why I'm not a fan of zombie-themed posts on ETS.

There was a question asked on ETS just recently about the effects of shooting into a crowd of people--"legal issues aside". On some abstract level, I suppose it's a legitimate question, but on a gut level, throwing that question out on a public forum like that made me cringe. However, if the question had been couched in terms of shooting zombies, well, ha-ha, that's different, so yeah, let's talk about the most potent ammo to use, the best ways to put them down, etc.

The zombie metaphor has become an excuse to talk about subjects like that without necessarily appearing like some psychopathic mass murderer and to conveniently ignore the reality of what the aftermath of those actions will be. To take glee in such topics amongst strangers doesn't seem healthy nor desirable to me.

#230542 - 08/25/11 02:49 PM Re: Top 10 Survival Tricks for the Zombie Apocalypse [Re: Arney]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
The zombie metaphor has become an excuse to talk about subjects like that without necessarily appearing like some psychopathic mass murderer and to conveniently ignore the reality of what the aftermath of those actions will be. To take glee in such topics amongst strangers doesn't seem healthy nor desirable to me.

I look at the occasional zombie post as a bit of catharsis/gallows humor needed when someone spends a lot of time thinking about possible bad stuff. That being said, a little bit goes a long way and I think this thread has gone on long enough.

-Sheriff Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 264 Guests and 47 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.